Sign in to follow this  
galzohar

Making a buker targetable by tanks/other radars

Currently tanks can only "lock" on certain objects which will make their fire control system adjust for elevation in order to hit that target, however some objects (such as bunker: tower) don't allow that. I am making a mission where hitting such bunkers with a tank is critical, so it would be very useful if there was some kind of scripting command that would make it targetable. Is there anything that does it (or any workaround) available?

Hm not sure. doTarget would only set the little red target circle over it, not sure if it would make it lockable. i mean right now i cant think of how to do it but just dont think that would be the way to go if you're trying to get a lock and not just designate what to shoot at.

dotarget/dowatch and fire will most likely do it.

Edited by Shuko

I want to be able to do it with a human gunner... The closest thing I have thought of is placing a target-able object on the bunker but that's a pretty ugly workaround.

create a invisible target there.

well galzohar you could rather create the object inside the bunker instead of on top, so hopefully it doesnt show, and the round would always hit the bunker. assuming it still lets you lock since it may not be in line-of-sight.

Mando Missile lets you lock onto buildings with missiles, might rip that open and see how he works his magic. :)

I'm having a hard enough time learning scripting, would rather not get into mods, especially considering a mission that requires mods will generally not get much playtime. If there's a scripted way, though, that would be great.

How would I place an invisible object? If it's not hittable either (that is, rounds and explosions go through it), or if it's tiny enough (which would achieve the same), then I could just place it above the bunker, so that trying to lock on the bunker will lock on that object which is good enough when it comes to hitting the bunker.

Though I'd be really surprised if there is absolutely no way whatsoever to make the bunker targetable, especially if mando missiles did it...

It seems like on regular difficulty I can lock (and see the lock) on those bunkers, however on expert I can only lock (yet not see the lock, as usual for tanks on expert) if the commander told me to target it. Tested by running a mission as tank commander, going to gunner seat, firing and missing, then going to commander seat, ordering to target, switching back to gunner, firing at the exact same place and hitting. Totally messed up but at least it's possible to hit them without guessing if you put enough effort into it...

Edited by galzohar

So play on regular? Or adjust your "Expert" settings to include the weapon crosshair? Or waste time trying to figure out how to disable crosshairs for everything but your one weapon that needs to lock instead of enjoying the game?

And Mando Missile is a script, no one said anything about mods.

Manually change the side to EAST in mission.sqm. Can't touch the object in editor after that or it will change back though.

Apparently you can target the bunker regardless, but you have to hit the "target" button while pointing at a very specific location of the bunker.