Sign in to follow this  
Vartan

Eax disabled...or is it? bis read please

I have EAX bug, i have turned off my EAX and sound acceleration but i still hear gun shots and engiens any where on the map but i dont hear the foot steps ( well i do but only when they are close to me)...

i got a creative BSlive with that latest drivers...

I seem to be having the same problem with my own soundcard (a Terratec DMX XFire 1024, which is something like the SBLive series). Like Mister Frag said, you should either disable hardware accelerations and leave EAX on (which worked for me), or you should disable both of them (I tried this for a while and still had surround sound).

FYI, the value of the the EAX setting is irrelevant without Hardware Acceleration enabled, since it won't work without it.

Is it really? I always thought EAX was just another form of hardware acceleration. If it's not, could you explain to me what it does do? Is it to do with special effects such as echoes and reverbs?

EAX stands for "Environmental Audio eXtensions", and it allows the game developers to apply environmental effects, such as reverb, echoes, hall effects, and even occlusion.

In other words, if you tell EAX that there is some object between the player and the sound source, EAX will reduce the volume, or it can change the sound based on the materials that the sound bounces off of before it reaches the position of the player. It can also shift the apparent direction to the sound source as the player turns his head.

For this kind of processing to take place, full hardware acceleration has to be enabled.

Well i tryed both your sugjestions, i turned both on and off and all i got is that eretaiting foot stepbug when it was on and the "i can hear your tank from across the map" bug when its off... i'm stuck here and its realy geting to me...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vartan @ Mar. 30 2002,15:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well i tryed both your sugjestions, i turned both on and off and all i got is that eretaiting foot stepbug when it was on and the "i can hear your tank from across the map" bug when its off... i'm stuck here and its realy geting to me...<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately I have no other ideas. I have never heard of the footsteps bug persisting when hardware acceleration is turned off in the Audio options screen.

You are turning it off in OFP, right? Or are you disabling it in the Windows Control Panel?

yes i'm turning it off in OPF, but that is the point that when its turned off i can only hear foot steps when they are near me, so thats fine but the problem is that i can hear any helicopter or tank or car that starts up its engien any where with in 3-5Km from my position, so it looks like i have half the bug tounge.gif

confused.gif

I was hopeing some one from BIS could answer this thread but i guess thats not gona happen. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 27 2002,00:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">or it can change the sound based on the materials that the sound bounces off of before it reaches the position of the player.<span id='postcolor'>

EAX doesn't have this ability. EAX works with preset 'environments', it cannot calculated the trajectory of sound waves that bounce of other objects. Aureal3d did have this support, but, eventhough it was more realistic, for obvious reasons, this took alot more processing power.

Never mind, problem solved, some how and dont ask me my sterio system was creating that bug, because when i unpluged it from my computer and connected the headset the bug just went away.. :\