Sign in to follow this  
Skategodindy

LAN with another computer in my house

Alright, so here's the deal. I bought ARMA 2 when it first came out and I've been loving the single player. It's amazingly fun. I've also loved the online play, when I'm able to find a server not running Domination/Warfare/Evolution. I have another gaming worthy computer in the house and was thinking of inviting a friend of mine over to play some LAN co-op. He doesn't want to spend $50 for something that he's just going to be playing on my computer, at my house, and I completely agree.

So the question is, if I install the game using my key, on my other computer, will anything happen to my key when we play over LAN (no internet games at all)?

I know the game will downgrade if it's an illegal copy... err, but um technically you wouldn't be running that. Good question, hope you get an answer!

I know the game will downgrade if it's an illegal copy... err, but um technically you wouldn't be running that. Good question, hope you get an answer!

Yeah it's not an illegal copy, but I'm wondering if it'll flag it or something if I install it on another computer, in my own house, to just play LAN co-op stuff.

I know you can't do it with Steam version. I tried. But got a second steam account for any guests I have and bought a second copy. I would imagine it would treat it like any other Internet multi-player and detect the key already in use.

Hi all

It says what you can do in the license, which you agreed to.

1 license = 1 client copy running.

2 licenses = 2 client copies running etc.

Add licenses per client copies running.

Play game, pay money, simples.

Trying to use multiple client copies, off one license which is what you are saying, will almost certainly trigger the copy protection, you will not be aware it has been triggered, over time it will degrade. You will probbably think it is bugs or some such.

BIS's anti piracy/cheat software is very effective and quite insideous and amusing for others to watch and causes may a good ROFL when they start reporting bugs on the trouble shooting or whining about effects like cannot hit the broad side of a barn effect.

Oh and dont be such a skinflint!

Kind Regards walker

When I tried to join my own server by running 2 copies of Arma 2 on the same PC, it definitely kicked me out of the game immediately - no waiting or degrading. It did show the degrading message, but it didn't wait more than a second or 2 before kicking me out.

Yeah, I have two purchased copies, one on each machine here at home for LAN play.

Alright thanks for your guy's help. I definitely don't want to get my copy messed up, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Co-op campaign looks very interesting, but that type of stuff is only good when playing with friends.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

I think having the game installed on 2 machines is not a problem in itself... if you only use one at a time...

When you have both clients running together, that I think would constitute a breech of policy... and could quite likely trigger the copy protection

well, that's what I would guess at least... ;)

Cheers

Alright thanks for your guy's help. I definitely don't want to get my copy messed up, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Co-op campaign looks very interesting, but that type of stuff is only good when playing with friends.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Buy it, then let your friend play. If he likes it, let him reimburse you. After all, how could he not. :p

I had this problem. I wanted to play on lan with my son but had only one copy. As it was we could both play online, but never on the same server or on lan (it would kick him).

The disk is only needed to originally launch the game, after that it can be removed and used in the other pc (I know there are other ways but I'm not taking about them here, this is a legit way). My solution was to get a Friend to give me his serial to install the game on my sons pc. I can now play with my Son on both lan and online, but my Son can never play with my Friend who lent the key (not AN ISSUE)