Sign in to follow this  
Fortran

Animation Source RPM

Just wanted to confirm or ask if the animation source "RPM" works properly with aircraft ? From what I can see of testing the BIS aircraft and my own animation for the F117A using RPM as a source it seems all that happens is that as soon as the engine is turned on it goes from 0 - 100% and stays at %100 until the engine is turned off, regardless of if the throttle is full on or full off or at idle it still stays at %100.

However testing it on land based vehicles then the RPM needle responds to both accelerating, braking and gear changes.

Has anybody else experienced this ? Have a workaround? Have been playing with scripting it instead for some of today as I want my RPM counter to respond to the throttle, not just the engine being on or off. Idle engine RPM should be approx 50% and full throttle should be %100.

As a side note does anybody know if "oil" works as a source for aircraft as well ? Tested it but had no response, wanted to use it as a basis for the EGT reading.

Edited by Fortran

Has anybody else experienced this ?

Yes, although it was a a patch or so, ago.

Have a workaround?

Nothing thats pretty or tested:

Either look out for an animated selection that responds to the throttle, turbine's or prop's? Then use selectionposition and or modeltoworld to grab the acceleration.

Or use display event handlers and try and guesstimate the amount of thrust being applied based and which keys are being held down and if they are assigned to a throttle.

Perhaps even fuel consumption can be used? Though proabaly not...

Ah ok thanks UNN, might just stick with RPM if it was broken in a patch rather than a full-time problem, hopefully it might get fixed. If not I will continue with the scripting route. Thanks for the assistance. Rotor/Props might be a good one, your right, thanks, will try that out.

Well let's hope it's a bug, that way it might be fixed.

Have you seen it functioning correctly at any point on air classes ? I don't remember looking before I patched recently so I can't remember if it did or not. Just tried rotor but unfortunately the source is continually moving so its like watching a slotmachine lol even at very high max values . Will try some of your other suggestions, do you have any info (biki page) for the key input handler? Just had a look but came up short?

Ahh...No I ment it didn't work when I first tried it. But it may have changed in a patch, guess that isn't the case.

displayAddEventHandler and actionKeys was what I was thinking of.

Edited by UNN

Ah ok, will probably be looking for a scripted fix then in that case as I have a faint memory of the rpm needle in the A-10 only going from 0 to 100% even in ArmA1, thanks for the links UNN will get working on it again.

It definately works in Arma1. Not looked at it in arma2.

Yeah your right just dusted off my A1 copy and tried it, rev counter doesn't actually move when the engine is powering up but it does respond to the throttle. Passes from 0 to 100% as you hold down the throttle and drops back to 0 as you release it.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Yeah ive had problems with this too. Its only 0 or 1 in ArmA2

Its annoying the crap out of me because i use for several gauges and afterburners.

Lets hope it gets addressed in a patch. Until then it looks like a scripted solution is the only method, which is a shame as none of the ones I have tried thus far have been really accurate enough. Only one that comes close is UNN's suggestion of using the displayAddEventHandler and throttle keys.

Yeah ive had problems with this too. Its only 0 or 1 in ArmA2

Its annoying the crap out of me because i use for several gauges and afterburners.

Same annoying problem!

Can't control Afterburners anymore.

"Thrust" is available for sound modulation (found in config) but not available as an animation source! :(

Same for "rotorThrust" it seems

BIS - please fix these in a patch