Sign in to follow this  
Tobie

Speedlimit for landvehicles

What I have tryed it seems 120km/h is the top speed for land vehicles. It doesn't matter what you put as maxSpeed in the config. After it is set over 120, it has no effect on the top speed. The only thing what it affects then is the gear settings. If you have set it 120, the autogear system uses maybe 3-4 gears, but if you put it say 1000, it might use only one gear. There might be similar limit for air unit speed, but not tested.

has this changed in arma 2 now? are land vehicles now able to accelerate up to more than 120km/h without a script??

and can you affect the acceleration in the config?

there is a token name acceleration but in arma 1 it doesnt affect anything to the acceleration. every value i put in it didnt change anything:plain:

Edited by Tobie

maxSpeed is only for AI from what I recall.

The model weight determines the speed.

the model weight determines the acceleration but not the top speed. and i dont mean the speed limit for the ai. i mean the top speed generally of a vehicle. like aqu said land vehicles dont drive faster than ~120km/h without a script.

i only want to know if that has changed in arma 2.

No it hasn't, just checked it on a humvee, set maxspeed to 1000 and it was just like Aqu said, it just changes the gears and stops at 120. Sorry :(

I think the 120km/h limit for land vehicles is prolly to make the collision detection not so heavy. Car going 120km/h travels over 33 meters (109ft) in a second. That is so much you can actually pass trigger zones w/o activation if they are bit too small.

There are lot of tokens in the config, but sadly many of them work only for a limited type of vehicles. Looks like the code makes lot of assumptions based on the vehicle class. For example a 'Plane' inherited vehicle cannot float (with a little bit of script magic it can float). Also a tank can go as fast in a swamp than on a highway (terrainCoef has no effect for tanks). Neither can you make it turn slower (turnCoef doesn't seem to work).

What comes to plane speed, I have observed it is kind of absolute max speed. In level flight the max speed is lot slower or at least it climbs very slowly. In a dive the max speed is what you put in the config. It is problematic if you know a plane can do e.g 1200km/h at sea level level flight. If you wanted to be able to reach it, you would need to put maybe 1600 in the config.

That is what I have noticed in Arma1. Not done so much arma2 modding yet.

i dont know^^ but triggers still work with airplanes which fly 500km/h or so i think. so there shouldnt be a problem with land vehicles.

There is a speed limit for wheeled vehicles in A2 that even scripting cannot overcome. with a "turbo" script I can get any tracked vehicle, boat and even motorcycles and mountainbikes to go as fast as I want, but trucks,cars, LAV's etc are limited to around 120.

I don't know modding, but seems to me it would be possible to have a car but in the config make it think it's a tracked vehicle, then the hardcoded speed limit wouldn't kick in.