Sign in to follow this  
AndyZ

Lame question

Hi!

I browsed and played with my flashpoint.cfg file. I wonder what does mean following entry:

LOD="7.500"

Any answers?

Regards,

AndyZ

LOD stands for Level of Detail, and the value is used to determine when less detailed bitmaps are used as distance from the viewer increases. A lower value gives you a higher level of detail.

That being said, I don't think the LOD entry is being used anymore -- I think that at some point, the single LOD entry was split into Limit_LOD for objects and Shadows_LOD for shadows.

Thaks! I'll try to set all values to zero then biggrin.gif

AndyZ

The lowest permissible value is 0.005, I'm not sure what OFP will do if you set it to something outside the valid range, it may assume some default higher than the minimum.

Your best bet is simply moving the sliders in the OFP Preferences program all the way to the right.

All the way to the right!? I thought the graphics were suppose to look better if you moved the sliders to the right?

/me is confused?? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sh3ll_Sh0ck2 @ Mar. 23 2002,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All the way to the right!? I thought the graphics were suppose to look better if you moved the sliders to the right?

/me is confused??  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL me too wink.gif

All the way to the right is the place you want to move the sliders if you want the graphics to look their best smile.gif

The LOD value goes down as you move the slider to the right, so as mentioned before, you'll get the best visual quality by moving the slider all the way to the right.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 24 2002,04:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The LOD value goes down as you move the slider to the right, so as mentioned before, you'll get the best visual quality by moving the slider all the way to the right.<span id='postcolor'>

WHAT?? confused.gifconfused.gif

Say again confused.gif

Baaah it's simple, for better graphical quality move both LOD sliders all the way to the right smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 24 2002,17:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Baaah it's simple, for better graphical quality move both LOD sliders all the way to the right smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's it. smile.gif

Mister Frag is right but the object LOD refers to the complexity of models at staggered distance. i.e close = best model, medium distance = medium poly model, far = very low poly model, but there is more like 8, 9 different stages of LOD. The way OFP ties LOD to FPS (frames per second) is rather smart. When you set OFP to 20/40 for frame rate in options it is setting the LOD system to maintain constant 40fps by adjusting the level of detail lower. Though if I am wrong do correct me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Mar. 25 2002,02:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mister Frag is right but the object LOD refers to the complexity of models at staggered distance. i.e close = best model, medium distance = medium poly model, far = very low poly model, but there is more like 8, 9 different stages of LOD. The way OFP ties LOD to FPS (frames per second) is rather smart. When you set OFP to 20/40 for frame rate in options it is setting the LOD system to maintain constant 40fps by adjusting the level of detail lower. Though if I am wrong do correct me.<span id='postcolor'>

and where does the "20" come into this?

Lowest fps on highest LOD?

What I mean is: When OFP is on highest LOD, it won't change to a lower LOD before you drop down to 20 fps.

Am I right? or totally way out there ? biggrin.gif