Sign in to follow this  
Scorpio9

ArmA II Comprehensive i7 Benchmark XP vs. Win 7

Yes. At least for ARMA2 there is a significant boost from turning HT off. On my i7 it stutters like crazy with HT on and is smooth with it off. cpucount=4 makes no difference when HT is on.

It does if you are using one of the beta patches (in my case at least).

the cpucount=4 switch completely alleviates stuttering for me. It's actually faster than XP 64 now.

Win 7 benefits greatly from H/T. There isn't much point in owning an i7 and running Win 7 if you are going to disable one of it's most significant features, you might as well just stick with a C2Q tbh.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-hyperthreading-intel-nehalem-atom,7831.html

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100814725&mpage=1&key=

It's the main reason I ran A2 under XP 64 as opposed to suffering with H/T off under Win 7 before the cpucount switch worked.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

tested ArmA2 1.03 on both Windows XP SP3 and Vista Ultimate X64 SP2. performance is much better on Vista + no more mouse lag after installing latest beta patch :)

That's weird. It's exactly the opposite to what I get. Maybe I should look at my Vista install.. hmm..

The game does not seem to run more than 4 (heavy) threads anyway, therefore hyperthreading is pretty useless for it. I've been getting noticeably better results with it off in heavy situations (lots of AI).

Anyone knows of a way to directly see how much CPU each of the application's threads are using? All I could do so far is notice what % of each core/virtual core is used with HT off/on to make my conclusions.

It does if you are using one of the beta patches (in my case at least).

the cpucount=4 switch completely alleviates stuttering for me. It's actually faster than XP 64 now.

Yes, we've had this conversation before.

Glad it works for you, clearly doesn't work for me - otherwise I'd go ahead and enable it and be happy.

As I've said elsewhere, Vista = Windows 7

Except that Windows 7 works, which is a pretty big difference in my book.

Windows Vista works well for me, if only BIS would optimise the buildings and objects.