Sign in to follow this  
TheHarvesteR

Why is my gunner going rogue??

Hi,

something that i've been noticing and it's getting more and more annoying is the fact that AI gunners don't seem to respect my orders anymore...

I usually fly attack helis on MP, and I always use an AI gunner with me... in ArmA I this technique worked perfectly... now it seems the gunners have a mind of their own...

if the gunner wants to switch to the machinegun right when I'm in the middle of a dangerous missile run, he doesn't have any problems doing so... it's very annoying when I just get that missile lock, I press fire, and discover that my gunner switched to rockets when I wasn't looking...

is this normal behaviour? or is the AI flawed in this aspect?

Cheers

its since 1.03 normal bevor ther was no poblem.

solution: land get him out draw pistol execiut him go on with mission.

execuit them, they will learn ther lessen its cold AI^^ they shoud be smart rofl^^

This is some kind of feature which is also present with tank gunners. If they spot enemy infantry, they will automatically switch to their MGs and engage. Imagine a situation where a stinger soldier is targeting you but you didn't notice.

If you want to use rockets, switch to manual fire.

"#2???"

"Yeah boss?"

"Eject"

"OK boss"

"Good Riddance"

Planck

Patch 1.03 didn't introduce this bug; it's been there since Arma 2 came out. I was hoping this new patch would finally correct this extremely annoying bug. Arma 1 and OFP didn't have this problem.

Until they fix this, your only option is to order any AI gunner out of your vehicle and using manual fire, because the AI gunners are worse than useless now.

What ought to happen is they engage with the gun whenever they like, but it doesn't affect the weapon you chose. This is badly written and sometimes it even means you can't select a given weapon at all.

Is this related to the bug where you buy an AI truck and it will just drive off unless you keep issuing it STOP?

"#2???"

"Yeah boss?"

"Eject"

"OK boss"

"Good Riddance"

Planck

I tried that, but that bastard didn't want to eject until I landed. So I was forced (by a voice in my head) to order him to go to the end of the runway and then I took off again :p

Noticed this too. My AI gunner targetet some tanks with MG that was far away and i didnt want to get their attention (bad for my health), but my AI kept target them and start firing. I right click anywhere & occational TAB to say "NO TARGET!", but the AI wouldnt listen. Kept the target on the tanks and fired after a second again.

Same with the weapon choice ofcourse. Now in real life i dont know, but the gunner maybe is in charge of what weapons to use. But they seldom switch to guided missiles in ARMA2. Your kilometers away from a vehicle and the gunner go with MG instead.

I think the gunner AI have to smarten up some before we can give him full control of who to target and what weapons to use. Until then i feel much better if im in charge of it all. :)

BIS will straighten this out eventually im sure though so it works as it did in ArmA.

Alex

yep, im just about to do a HYDRA strafing run and the idiot changes to mg and starts aiming to the left! :@