Sign in to follow this  
kingotnw

Question for players

I'm new here, and I actually just heard of this game today. I'm strongly considering buying it, but I am curious if people here think it would suit my tastes. I was a huge fan of the original Rainbow Six / Rogue Spear PC Series, and liked Ghost Recon 1 PC as well. I've never been much of a fan of jumps to non realism as was the case with the console ports of the Tom Clancy games. I enjoyed the single player stuff (planning to execution), but spent the vast majority of my time in the multiplayer.

Does this sound like a game someone like me would enjoy?

Yes I would say you would enjoy this game alot.

Two of my favorite shooters ever are Rogue Spear and the first Ghost Recon on PC.

This game reminds me alot of my time I spent on Operation Flashpoint, Rogue Speak and Ghost Recon1. They are not the same games, but I get the same fun out of them all personally. Think of ARMA2 as just on a much bigger scale then those games and not quite as polished, but alot more ambitious in terms of there scope and ambition.

Sounds cool. Everything I read about the game sounds fantastic. I don't particularly mind having to wait on polish if the game at its core is good. I have my consoles for the run and gun FPS stuff, I just really miss playing games like I mentioned above. I'm downloading the demo now, but i'm think I am going to most likely pick it up tomorrow.

just note that you won't be in confined "MOUT" like areas; but on a huge battlefield where engagements are usually 100+ meters. The physics in Arma2 just doesn't make door-to-door combat fun. Other than that I think you'll enjoy it

I'm downloading the demo now, but i'm think I am going to most likely pick it up tomorrow.

I liked the demo and bought the retail based on that, i'm really pleased with it :cool:

But remember that if you really wanna fullly enjoy ArmA2 you need a decent computer. People thinking that because their computer ran Crysis with high settings they can easily run ArmA2 with same settings might get surprised :eek:

I'm new here, and I actually just heard of this game today. I'm strongly considering buying it, but I am curious if people here think it would suit my tastes. I was a huge fan of the original Rainbow Six / Rogue Spear PC Series, and liked Ghost Recon 1 PC as well. I've never been much of a fan of jumps to non realism as was the case with the console ports of the Tom Clancy games. I enjoyed the single player stuff (planning to execution), but spent the vast majority of my time in the multiplayer.

Does this sound like a game someone like me would enjoy?

This sounds like a perfect match for you. There is lot of tactics and planing. Also in multiplayer and lot of players too. I think you will find this game to be one of the best games you have ever played.

For me, this game tops rainbow six and ghost recon easy, i did play both of those games alot tho.

Well.. Im getting an error when I try to install the demo... Unfortunate.

Wait for them to patch the game a dozen more times before even thinking about buying this.

It got more bugs in it than a kebab shop.

What error are you getting? Do you have the latest DirectX 9 installed? If you're on Vista you'll probably need this, as DirectX 10 isn't a replacement for DX 9. That's the most common error people had when trying to install the demo, I think.

Wait for them to patch the game a dozen more times before even thinking about buying this.

It got more bugs in it than a kebab shop.

I agree, at the moment buying this game is a gamble - it may work for you or it may not OR it may lure you into a false sense of security before deciding it doesn't like you anymore and crashing itself.

I would agree that you should wait for a few more months/patches unless you're prepared to take the gamble.

Check you have all your drivers up to date etc as well as that can help a lot!:rolleyes:

just note that you won't be in confined "MOUT" like areas; but on a huge battlefield where engagements are usually 100+ meters. The physics in Arma2 just doesn't make door-to-door combat fun. Other than that I think you'll enjoy it

Yeah thats a very good point.

Imagine indoor combat in arma 2? That would fail on a truly epic scale. If they do, maybe bis should try to develop their next release of arma in indoor enviorenments, before porting it to the outdoor worlds.

Surely if the movement and clipping feels so wrong indoors, if you made it feel right, it would feel much better everywhere?

just another one of my theories lol.

Definitely buy the game judging by your tastes, its very authentic :)