Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Missed me by that much!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 19 2002,20:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Scary stuff.  And considering that hardly any money is spent on monitoring the skies, perhaps such a near miss will spur more investment in making sure it isnt a big rock that kills us, just each other. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Did you all know that with the money put on the making of 'Armageddon', we could easily fund a scientific program to chart the skies for threats? But of course entertainment is always more important than survival... biggrin.gif

Today i will spent all my money on something very important.

Our lives depend on it.

I spent it on a ......... GEFORCE4 Ti4600 from ASUS US US US

loud manly voice which echoes

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 20 2002,09:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder how much money is spent on unimportant things every year.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i read that 1/4th of the money spent each year on making commercials would feed the whole world for a year biggrin.gif

fuck tv-shop!! wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pete @ Mar. 20 2002,10:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">fuck tv-shop!! wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Fuck 'Aromipesä'!!!

Hehheh. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pete @ Mar. 20 2002,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i read that 1/4th of the money spent each year on making commercials would feed the whole world for a year biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

"Advertising makes us work the jobs we hate so that we can buy shit that we don't need." -Tyler Durden

So yes, advertising is important to preserve the status quo in society. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 20 2002,09:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder how much money is spent on unimportant things every year.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Too much.

When i heard about this on the news, they said interupted in the middle of what they saying and they said "it has just been released that an asteriod heading for earth-" and i was thinking, OMG "narrowly missed the earth by bla bla bla bla bla" and then they started laughing and stuff. So i said "stop laughing foolish humans! you where almost crushed to death!!". Also, i dont know if its bad that i have started to call people "foolish humans".

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 19 2002,21:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thought about wobble's comment about using nukes.<span id='postcolor'>

Using nukes isn't the right way to "destroy" it. You'll need a huge bomb to change the direction of the rock, it probable's almost impossible to change it good enough. You might be able to change the direction a bit but even if it flies next to the earth it can still be dangerous. If you destroy the rock with a bomb the only thing that'll happen is that there'll be a rain of little rocks falling on earth, most of these rocks won't be burned and they'll hit earth anyway. There isn't a real solution for this stuff.... Of course trying to take that bastard down with a nuke is better than nothing!

461,000 kilometers? Near miss? hell, it passed outside the orbit of the moon!

That rock wasn't too big, only 70 meters, but if you can't detect it in time yo can't do anything about it... A true planet killer, with a diameter of tens of kilometers can be detected a long time before it hits, but it's very dificult to change it's course. You have to detect it tens of years before it hits to do something.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Mar. 23 2002,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">461,000 kilometers? Near miss? hell, it passed outside the orbit of the moon!

That rock wasn't too big, only 70 meters, but if you can't detect it in time yo can't do anything about it... A true planet killer, with a diameter of tens of kilometers can be detected a long time before it hits, but it's very dificult to change it's course. You have to detect it tens of years before it hits to do something.<span id='postcolor'>

but that 'samll' asteroid could flatten a medium sized city.

What's the chance of the meteorite falling in a populated area?? It would most likely fall in the Pacific ocean, or Siberia (remember the Tunguska meteorite, 100 years ago). And i would prefer a flattened city than a desert planet with a 200 km crater!!