Sign in to follow this  
Hotwire

runs smooth but slows down every 2 seconds

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from ScreamingWithNoSound on 2:07 am on Nov. 30, 2001

Hmm...

Creative's driver writers seem to be a bunch of monkeys.

<span id='postcolor'>

What do you mean "seem to be"? I thought they were monkeys...

Come back Creative! All is forgiven!!!

I just installed the newly released (as of 29/11/01) Live! drivers for XP/2K... and they work! Not only did they install correctly, they actually fixed the footstep sounds from miles away issue that's plagued OFP + SBLive!

Haven't played long enough to see if it fixes crashing... but I wasn't having problems with crashing anyway...

so that means I can track you miles away and you can't track me?

(rubs hands together)

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 11:55 am on Nov. 30, 2001)

AvonLady, I did try the DirectX tweak that tells you to move the DirectDraw slider all the way to the left,but it didn't work. I also have DirecX 8a.

All my drivers are the latest version (as far as I know, I updated evrything fairly recently.)

SBlive drivers are from the original CD that came with the comp though. I'll try updating them and see what happens.

Hey!, correct me if i'm wrong, but does'nt the swapfile/V~memory only come into play IF theres not enough RAM?, and wot possible excuse can anyone come up with for not having 512MB??,it cant be cost! smile.gif, and if you've got enough RAM, why not download CacheMan and enable 'conservative swap file usage?,....

i'm sorry to dust this topic off, but was this issue solved by updating the Sb drivers, or was it the Southbridge thing?

I noticed that all my games that uses Direct3D has this odd "stuttering"-issue.

(e.g. Battlefield 1942)

[ edit]

And yes, I forgot

I have DX9b, and when I turn off explorer.exe the stuttering dissapears.

I read this 2 year old thread again and after reading about pauses every few seconds , my first thoughts are:

scan for SPYWARE !

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

http://www.lavasoft.de/

I did just that, and it returned nothing.

Except for Windows XP beeing a "spyware" itself.

Here's my computer

Dell Dimension 8200

P4 1,8 GHz

768 MB RDRAM

Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro

Soundblaster Live!

Windows XP Home

DX9b

OPF GOTY 1.91

I do have a joystick (Force feedback wheel) but it is connected and shouldn't make any troubles

And the stuttering dissapears when explorer.exe is shut down,

Last, I'm again sorry to dust this old topic off, but I need to know if it's possible to solve this issue.

[ edit]

LOL@Self

wheelmouse?

Did you search The FAQ for "input delay", "stutter", "performance", etc.? rock.gif

Have you tried without the joystick?

Yes I did search your fine FAQ smile_o.gif but to no avail.

Also tried without the joystick, the thing that buggers me is that, and I mentioned this before.

I turn off/stop/kill the "explorer.exe" processes in the taskmanager, and the stutter dissapears.

This makes me  crazy_o.gif

I tired the dx-tweaks, the Creative things, but they didn't help either.

And I can't play without the soundaccelerator on, because the sound is played in slow motion then.

e.g. (one letter states dragged sound)

(Acceleration on): Group goto 1 05

(Acceleratoin off): Gggrrrooouuuppp   gggoootttooo 111000555

and when I fire... fly helicopters...

And Well, it doesn't matter, because the stutter is still present.

And I do not have any input delays.

I'm experiencing the "two mousepointer"-issue, but I just alt+tabb that one away.

And a OT question.

Is it possible to show FPS in the game?

e.g.

showFPS 1

or similar?

[ edit]

It doesn't seem FPS is available, fraps is the answer?

2 things to try for your 2 second slow downs:

o Try disabling sound device in device manager. See if it is sound related at all.

o Check you HDD device and driver and make sure DMA is enabled.

2 things to try for your 2 second slow downs:

o Try disabling sound device in device manager.  See if it is sound related at all.

o Check you HDD device and driver and make sure DMA is enabled.

I'll do just that, I can imagine it's my %insert favourite swearword herer% Soundblaster that is the cause to all this.

[ edit]

Yes, actually it did run alittle bit smoother, but it's still luggish, stutters.

And, again, when i kill the explorer.exe process the stutter dissapears.

If your game slows down every couple of seconds and you've already tried everything else that was suggested, try the following (on Windows 2000/XP/2003 only):

1. Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Options and optimize for Applications, if you haven't done so already.

2. Turn of Disk Indexing. Go to My Computer -> Select each non-removeable drive, one at a time -> Properties -> Uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk"

Sorry, I've been gone for a while, it's a long story that is not relevant to the discussion, but did I miss anything?

If your game slows down every couple of seconds and you've already tried everything else that was suggested, try the following (on Windows 2000/XP/2003 only):

1. Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Options and optimize for Applications, if you haven't done so already.

2. Turn of Disk Indexing. Go to My Computer -> Select each non-removeable drive, one at a time -> Properties -> Uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk"

Sorry, I've been gone for a while, it's a long story that is not relevant to the discussion, but did I miss anything?

thanks for the tips, I'll try it later (@work now)

@missed something:

Dunno I've been gone as well, but bought GOTY the other day, so it was natural to return to this site.

As far as this thread goes, I found it, and revived it, it has been left alone for two years...

[ edit]

Nope, I'm afraid that didn't work either,

Well, I have lost all my hope, My computer sucks ass.

Until I get a new one I will kill explorer.exe

DIE DELL DIE!!!!

And with that said, I must add, Dell has removed all termalindicators, so one can not monitor the system temperatures.

[ edit]

so, Dell doesn't need to die right now.

It seems it is either my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro v4.x) or norton antivirus that is making my games stutter

I noticed this today, since I have reinstalled my machine.