Sign in to follow this  
gareththomasnz

Below spec machine

My CPU is AMD dual core 4800+

Motherboard does not support SPi

RAM is 512 mb

Graphics on board Geforce 6150SE nForce

I have ordered more RAM on ebay which will come in a few days. Undecided on new video card yet as I dont want to spend too much money.

I don't know if the game could be made playable with these specs. At present its totally terrible.

Frame rate is like one or two per second and there is a strange bright white shroud over everything in the game. Like a ghostly glow around stuff and in the sky.

SPi is out as I'm not getting a whole new box just for ARMA2.

I wll get a new card very soon. I wonder is there any way to improve the performance in the meantime.

I have the latest nvidia drivers and XP 64 bit.

Hi.

I'm not sure about your cpu, but since you have a 64 bit os you would probaly benefit from 4 or more gigs ram.

There's no way this or any demanding game is going to work with a 6150se. I don't know what you consider a lot of money, but you need a vid card for sure. At least an 8800gt. Don't get suckered in with 8600, 9600, or 9500, no matter what it says on the box those cards aren't for gaming.

FYI - my system is

AMD dual core 4200+

2 G Ram

ATI 4870 1G (had planned a total build this fall and bought the card in advance).

Runs fine with settings at normal and I get consistent 25 - 35 FPS (except in some heavy areas such as lots of trees etc where it can drop to 15 - 20 FPS).

So, add some memory and upgrade the card and you should be good to go.

If your going to get a new card you are always better off getting the high end of the range. 8800 GTS 512mb or higher or 9800gt or higher in the series , yeah dont buy mid range cards of any series of Ati or nividia. Your better getting a 8800gts 768 for half the price than a 260GT for example. Yeah 8800 ultra are 3 year old cards but will still run Arma 2 better than mid range brand new cards. If your going to get ahigh end card today than go the full hog and grab a 295gtx. OR wait till next years line up of Nividia or Ati cards next year's systems will run Arma 2 alot better anyway. Get a TOP high end older card or wait till next year.

Yeah my 4 GB RAM just came in the mail so I'm about to stick it in.

I am thinking about a Geforce 9800 1 gb - they are around $200 here in New Zealand which is pretty cheap really.

Come over to Aus, 9800GT 1GB for $145 at MSY :)

I'm using the 9800GT myself and it's old but holds well with Arma 2 running at 1280x1024 with medium/high settings.

Oh fuck I could puke at what I just did.

I put one of the RAM's in backward - it fried my mother board immediately

There was even smoke - I took to the PC shop over the street and they stuck an identical board in thank god.

CPU is OK - 4 gb of RAM and one Mother Board fried :-(

I got another RAM chip so now I have 2.8 GB of RAM. I could have bought the 9800 graphics for that much - SHIT !!!

SUX

PS: does ARMA act any differently if you have over 2 GB RAM ?

It doesn't seem to have made any difference increasing the RAM so the problems its having must be due the the graphics.

What kinda RAM can ya put in backwards?

No need to get a 98xx or 2xx on a mobo that doesn't meet PCI-E 2.0 (ie 780i+).....will run but at 50%.

Of course I would recommend getting a 9xxx or 2xx if you're buying a new mobo within 3-6 months but if not wait for DX11 cards coming for Win7 release.

Bless you for running a x64 OS!

Good luck as I'm sure you are well intended.

Oops just saw your question about +2GB RAM. Answer is a big 'probably' but will depend on how much your OS services are using (Vista's not all that streamlined)

Best idea might be to put in a spot of RAM (say 4GB if that caps your mobo...DDR2 is cheap now) turn all settings to low....do NOT count FPS with anything....and go see how the game runs.

There's a 'No Bloom/Blur Mod' somewhere at Armaholic that will kill that glow for ya.

Edited by Akilez
If it wasn't for typos my life would be damn near perfect

My MB is an Asus m2n-mx se plus yeah its pci-e frick'n 1

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4362089&CatId=2621

That was the most dumb assed thing I have ever done to a computer today. But frick the stick looked the same on both sides and it fitted in the slot.

Never mind.

Man even a 9600 is PCI-e 2

Hope to get a vid card and new power supp if needs be before next week

This is the one http://pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=4981

yeah I've seen the Bloom/Blur mod for stuff like bright sun - but my whole scene is covered in that effect - I'll try it

The bright side is - they replaced the board and the HDD recognized the BIOS and theres no reformat or instalation of anything. CPU is OK etc.

I must say from what I can see of the game - its gunna be beautiful

Edited by gareththomasnz

Hey something is wrong - I had arma 1 on windows 2K - same system

Now I have a dual boot with ubintu & xp 64 bit - I reinstalled arma 1 since I cant play arma2 yet - but the frame rate on arma 1 is now fucked also.

Only thing different is OS, more ram and new nvidia drivers - something has screwed the frame rate.

Sad story!

If you're running XP, then 2.8GB is almost as good as 4GB, because XP caps your available system RAM at 4GB minus your video RAM. So that's not so bad, eh!

Next, your CPU is fine.

Next, use "-maxmem=2047" on your Arma shortcut command line.

For the video card (lol, wtf is a 6150SE?), even an ATI 3850 or nVidia 7800 will transform your experience.

ArmA2 only uses 2Gb ram max. Any more will not be used by ArmA directly but will help reduce the load from Windowz.

A 32bit app like ArmA2 will not run as efficiently in 64bit operating system so XP 32 is the best OS to use.

XP 64 does not cap at 4 gb - it has a super high memory limit - too high to use on a gaming machine or desktop.

Anyway I'm just gunna leave it alone until i get a better card - also remembered I had a low spec card before setting up my dual boot - now i am just running off the motherboard chipset.

Thats why arma 1 has a lower frame rate now. Yep no point so I'll let you guys know in a few days when I'm set up and what a difference it has made.

Cheers.

Finally I just did the upgrade to an NVIDIA 9800 gt 1gb

I upped my power supp to 550 watts - it just over heated with the case closed so I'm playing with it open

This game utterly rocks - everything I hoped it would be & plays just fine with a 9800

UPDATE: PSU had insufficient amps - now hane 680 watts & 30 amp supp

all is great - fricken awesum :D

Edited by gareththomasnz