Sign in to follow this  
DJ_9mm

New TANKS ONLY PvP mission

i've put together a tanks only pvp mission that's really fun. it's US vs RU and each side has four main battle tanks and two fast attack tank killers (HMMWV TOW and BTR-90). it supports up to 24 players, with the idea that each vehicle will have at least a two man crew. the gameplay is all about moving stealthily, and recon, since the first shot often decides the winner. surprise is the name of the game. MBTs take at least two shots to die, while the fast attackers take only one. the fast attackers are not useless, however. their superior speed enables them to outflank their enemies, and are difficult to hit when moving fast.

the mission uses [sbs]mac's script pack (thanks mac!). there are spawn zones, with spawn protection to prevent spawn camping. vehicles respawn after they've been destroyed or abandoned (for > 2 min). there's a vehicle service station at each spawn where you can repair/refuel/rearm. the mission uses a fenced off section of the chenarus map, with rolling hills, small groves of trees, and a town in the center. perfect for a tank battle. no shoulder launched weapons are available, but an ammo box is provided with binoculars, mines, and satchel charges. the game format is team death match. the team with the most kills at the end of the round wins. duration of the round is configurable from the mission start screen.

i'll post the mission for download once i get it fine tuned. i'll be hosting a server with the mission this afternoon if anyone wants to test it with me. server name is *TANKS ONLY* DJ_9mm. hope to see you online!

Lol - when I put together the script pack I really had in mind small CQB type CTFs. Never occurred to me that people would go out and do this kind of stuff - just goes to show the flexibility of this game. Nice one m8 :-)

yeah, the mission editor is quite powerful. i'm learning the scripting language by looking at your scripts. i'm a web developer, so this stuff comes naturally to me.

a user by the name of dustoff offered to host the mission on his dedicated server, so look for it online shortly. the mission name is Tank Battle PvP 1.0 and the server name is *TANKS ONLY* DJ_9mm.

Edited by DJ_9mm

just played a great round. had 10-11 people on the server. it was really fun!

I joined but nobody else was on. My only suggestion (if it's even possible) is change the location of the battlefield. It's the same location as Berzerk Sobor and it's kind of boring to be playing the same area again.

yeah, i'm going to make a few more versions that are in different parts of the map, and put them in the server rotation. that will give us some variety in terrain.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

fyi, everyone should download these add-ins that fix a bug where you can't "turn out" as the driver of a T-72 or M1A1. if 3rd person view is disabled on the server, you will definitely want to be able to turn out. otherwise you have to look out through a tiny window.

http://ifile.it/idoza0u

Sounds good but how about just posting the mission as a beta so we can host it ourselves? That way we don't have to try and get on when a particular timezone is active or play at a huge latency.

alrighty then. http://tinyurl.com/mmmuyc

this is version 1.1. i added some empty civilian vehicles around the map so that you can drive back to base if your tank gets destroyed or disabled, and you manage to get out before it blows up.

Cheers, have been looking for some Vehicle TDM, I'll get a crowd together and try it out soon.

some friends and i will be on the server around 10pm tonight. join us!

well, i'm afraid the server that was hosting the mission disappeared, and i haven't heard from the admin. looking for a new server to host this mission...

Its still up , might have seemed off line for a bit while I was working on the server (blocking a few nasty ip addresses).

Any chance of an update on this?

I downloaded it the other day and put it on our dedi server and it suffered from some serious stuttering issues. Literally every other second it would stop. Any other mission is fine so it looks like it's the mission itself. Any ideas? :) Possibly it's post 1.04 patch?

I was going to make a mission just like this and thought I'd check to see if it had been done before, so you'll save me a lot of hard work if you can stop the stuttering lol :)

Any chance of an update on this?

I downloaded it the other day and put it on our dedi server and it suffered from some serious stuttering issues. Literally every other second it would stop. Any other mission is fine so it looks like it's the mission itself. Any ideas? :) Possibly it's post 1.04 patch?

I was going to make a mission just like this and thought I'd check to see if it had been done before, so you'll save me a lot of hard work if you can stop the stuttering lol :)

Hya matey.. that mission would have to be updated to the latest of Mac's Script, the stuttering issue was due to the 1.03 or 1.04 patch.. it has been sorted now, maybe if you have a copy of the map, post it on the SBS website at www.sbs-clan.co.uk and Mac May or may not update it, if its good I would upload it to our server "The Boat House" although we do mainly play infantry CTF's.

Hya matey.. that mission would have to be updated to the latest of Mac's Script, the stuttering issue was due to the 1.03 or 1.04 patch.. it has been sorted now, maybe if you have a copy of the map, post it on the SBS website at www.sbs-clan.co.uk and Mac May or may not update it, if its good I would upload it to our server "The Boat House" although we do mainly play infantry CTF's.

Awesome. From what I can see it's got great potential for a bit of tank fun. There's not many missions about which have armour vs armour in PvP so this sounded like a pleasant change.

I don't have any webspace but would be happy to mail a copy over to you - drop me a line via PM and I'll send it over. :)

Mac - can't thank you enough for taking the time to do this. I'll give it a bash later on tonight when I'm back from work and I'll see how we get on. :)

My sincere thanks one again.

nice. thanks mac. i just got back from vacation. is anyone hosting this mission on a dedicated server right now? i still have barely had the chance to play it. would love to schedule a night to play with anyone who's interested.

Yup, iGi have it on both our servers. We've not had chance to play test it with a lot of people but I've had a quick go and it was good. :)

We're having a clear out of our missions at the moment, we've got a few too many different versions of the same mission. I'm sure the v2 of yours will be included. :)