Sign in to follow this  
guttersnipe

How to script use of 'captured' arty battery

(yes I searched ;) ) (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Artillery_Module#ARTY_Quick_Start)

Here's my problem:

I want to simulate the capture of an arty battery - and once captured I want any of the units in my squad to be able to use the arty with the fire control module directly (i.e. provide fire support directly rather than via a radio call).

Here's what I did:

1. Created the empty arty battery (3 x 81 mm) to be captured.

2. Created the Arty logic.

3. Synched the two above.

When I take over the battery I don't get access to the targeting control map.

I also tried synching an arty logic straight to my squad then climbing into an empty piece - doesn't work (and actually made my regular infantry weapons so inaccurate that I thought I was suffering form FADE till I worked out this wasn't right) :D

How do I create that ability?

(As a work around I tried creating a friendly battery elsewhere which I could teamswitch into to use - what happened here was that if I tried intially spawning as the arty gunner it would work, however as soon as I switched & switched back, or spawned as another group leader then tried to take over the battery, the control option was no longer availible.)

Any help appreciated.

Is your squad players or npc?

This sound alot like my arty problems. If you spawn the arty after someone have logged on in MP, or the mission have started in SP, the arty module don't sync with that gun and player.

Oh, and did you use the right module?? It's the normal module, not virtual, you want if you want to get the arty target map.

You don't actually need to sync ANYTHING if you want the arty target map. It sort itself somehow when you have arty and players on the map IF the arty exist before the said player log on/start the mission.

Edited by Ouchtime

My squad/the guy i want to take over the arty is a player (ir me) and not an NPC.

I am using the normal arty module and not the virtual one.

I've tried using the peice without the arty module at all & it hasn't worked either.

The arty is sitting on the map at the start of the mission & not spawned later, and the character I'm using also spawns from the start of the mission.

Any other advice?

Having an un-synched arty module works. Also a synched arty. Empty and captured from enemy, normal rifleman, etc. Just put down arty, player and module and all was good.

Tried your suggestion Cellus - seems to work briefly (for a about the first thirty seconds of the mission), then when I switch character & then back to the new 'arty gunner' I loose the Targeting option. Cany figure this out at all, must be a bug?, or am I missing some other logic (mission is going to be MP (though i get the failure in the preview option on the editor too)

Is there any way to call the module on demand from a radio script for example? That way if I loose it I call quickly call it back....

Oh, that wasn't a suggestion - I just couldn't find a way to not make it work. Is it only when you team switch, then? Surely that's not in MP? Unless respawn does the same thing. They're working on team switch for the next patch (to get the switch on death menu option working) - don't know if that will affect this...

Tried your suggestion Cellus - seems to work briefly (for a about the first thirty seconds of the mission), then when I switch character & then back to the new 'arty gunner' I loose the Targeting option.

Get out of the gun and back in.

Tried getting in & out - no joy.

Yep team switch does work in MP COOP (think it's the single player version that is broken at the moment)(least I assume it's teamswitch as it uses the T key & doesn't kill the charcter you're using like respawn does). Best way for a story driven MP COOP in my opinion, esp if you've only got bandwidth to host only a couple of mates - can switch round roles no hassle.

This arty thing is really busting my nuts now.....