Sign in to follow this  
silent_hillel

Arma 2 Scripting & Genetic Algorithms

hi,

couple questions:

1) is the Arma2 scripting language Turing-complete?

2) has anybody tried using Genetic Programming to evolve a better AI?

-silent_hillel

No idea about 2, but I'm almost sure you can make a Turing machine with Arma 2 scripting, except with limited memory of course.

Edited by galzohar

:rolleyes: Let me guess, youre 17 and you just read Kurzweil's wiki page, and now youve decided to dabble in video games. You cant sleep at night because you realize the terminators will not only be able to patrol grid cities intelligently, but they will have surprisingly effective attack and defense maneuvers.... with flanking moves that would make Uncle Billy shiver.

And yes, they will be able to adapt and change and talk to us, but we wont be able to tell their robots.....sleep tight.

Edited by katdogfizzow

lol @ the snarkiness and cynicism. (im hoping they get funnier, though...its kinda pedestrian atm)

anyways, the questions are legit.

Anyway, Arma 2 gives you very little control of how the AI behaves. You'd have to be able to completely change the game to actually affect the AI.

And I meant by what I said that Arma 2 scripting can be considered as Turing-complete as a computer program can be. It's not very different than other programming langueges in essence, it's just that the system calls are very, very different, but that has nothing to do with its computational power.

Well, you can edit the AI's state machines, if you had enough determination you could probably develop much more heavily detailed AI. As for a genetic approach... eugh, who'd bother for a computer game?