Sign in to follow this  
santino421

Freezing every 10-11 seconds

hi i just bought the game today and updated it to the latest version and did every one of the optimization tricks..im able to play it at 40+ fps but the only problem is it freezes every 10-11 seconds for around 4-5 seconds then it goes back to normal...my specs are Pentium D 3.00ghz,9800gt,4gb ram and im running it at all normal except shadows on very high(i saw in one of the thread that it runs better than high) i have the latest nvidia drivers and i did the max pre rendered frame to 8 and forced turned off v sync,i also disabled physx gpu acceleration..i dont know whats the problem..its able to run at 30-40+ fps for around 10 seconds before freezing for about 5 seconds then after 5 seconds,it returns to 30-40fps then after another 10-11 seconds it freezes for 5 seconds..then the cycle keeps repeating..hope someone can solve my problem..thanks..

EDIT:i've also tried running in compatibility mode in xp service pack 2 ..no luck...

Use enditall to kill unnecessary programs and processes and try again. Also check the hard drive to see if it's been defraged.

when i fly the A-10 at very high altitude,the fps is 60+ then after 10 seconds i drops to 4-5 then immediately rise up again to 60+ this cycle keeps repeating..i've ended msn and every other thing ..i've only left arma 2 running still the same problem..i've tried lowering the graphic settings to all low or very low and resolution to the lowest..still the same problem...i also defragged the hd..is there a way to solve this problem? or should i wait for the next patch? thanks..

Well, I think it could be headware related. One thing, have you tried setting the texture memory to low?

yup everything on low..still the same...i dont think its a hardware problem since i had a 1 to 1 replacement for my graphic card a week back only...

yup everything on low..still the same...i dont think its a hardware problem since i had a 1 to 1 replacement for my graphic card a week back only...

Have you forced v-sync off and render 8 frames ahead in nvidia control panel? Also, turn off physx and see what happens

Have you forced v-sync off and render 8 frames ahead in nvidia control panel? Also, turn off physx and see what happens

all of that done already...its still there...i dont know why..cause this doesnt happen on other games..

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

ok im going to try reinstalling my driver..ill report back my results...

Had the same problem with the demo... if you have Vista try to update to SP2 did the trick for me :)

can that really solve the problem? cause im kind of lazy to do anything right now ..i hadnt had fun with arma 2 since i bought it about 6-8 hours ago..only been looking for solutions...

"i have the latest nvidia drivers and i did the max pre rendered frame to 8" way TO MUCH!

Try turning off hyper threading, even for your Prescott. HT and NVIDA has a issue in the game(as well as ATI and mutigpu). If you cant do that then use the command/flag -cpuCount=1

i have quite a different box, but very much the same symptoms. Also, these did not occur at once, but only came up after a couple of days of clear sailing. very odd :(

I have a very similar system setup to the OP's, except 8800GT and a faster CPU- i gotta say that sounds like something is bogging your system down or as another poster suggested, a harddrive issue. Have you tried reinstalling the game? This could do the trick. I also have SP2 for Vista, dont know if this really matters though.

Im running everything set to Normal except for a couple settings on High (as opposed to everything High, Very high) and at this point the games stability has really improved :yay: Infact, I havent had a crash in one full day OMG :eek::eek:

can that really solve the problem? cause im kind of lazy to do anything right now ..i hadnt had fun with arma 2 since i bought it about 6-8 hours ago..only been looking for solutions...

well installing SP2 is kind of a lazy thing... just sit back and wait like 20min then its done and you can play ;)

It were Placebo's idea with the SP2 thingy... that is to say that it is a reliable source! :)

I have this problem since i bought the game... Even after installing SP2 for Vista64.

anybody who is having this issue, are you using any kinda Hardware OC tool or Everast, ect?

Everest will give me jerks and lags... even when i am not logging. Also try a lower AV setting? Chk for any other apps running/using the desktop.

Edited by kklownboy

I had a similar problem which was related to the "Command Queuing" option on the hard disk drives being enabled. I turned this off in device manager for each drive and the freezing was gone.

I will point out that in my case it was with any game, not just ARMA2.