Sign in to follow this  
datter

ArmA2 on Win7 64bit vs WinXP Pro 32bit - My experience

I had been running 32 bit XP Pro SP3 with 2GB of ram for a long time now and had no complaints with the OS. No complaints with ArmA2 either for that matter, after various tweaks it ran very well. Yesterday however, I finally broke down and moved on. I am now running 6GB of ram (see full system specs and ArmA2 settings in "spoiler" of sig) and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (RTM).

The game ran without a hitch for me in XP (minus some typical campaign CTD's) and runs at least as well for me afterwards. I have my frame rate locked at 30 (as per this), and it rarely if ever falls below. If anything things feel smoother in Win7, though I'd need to unlock my frame rate to see for sure. Mouse lag is none existent, loading times are brisk, alt-tabbing in and out happens instantly. The only thing that's a bit odd is my ArmA2 menu screen. In XP I'd see the aircraft carrier behind the menu, but in Win7 I am underwater for some reason. No clue what's up with that, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. All in all I'd say Win7 64bit is an absolutely worthwhile upgrade from XP, especially if you throw 64bit and more RAM into the mix.

Your mileage may vary of course, I just wanted to get my experience up here for reference if anyone is considering the switch.

Check your graphics drivers are the latest supporting Win 7, at least for nvidia they have had some updated drivers since the release of the Win7 Evaluation Copies. That may fix the miss carrier.

I agree though, been running Win7 64bit and haven't looked back since!

A lot of memory is great if the application/game can use it... unfortunatelly ARMA2 can only use < than 2GB.

It is good news that ARMA2 runs well on Win7 as I'll be upgrading to Win7 when it comes out. Had the beta and now RC on my HTPC and love it.

Yapa

This is good advice.

UNLESS you happen to be running an i7. There are problems with i7s, A2 and Win 7 that involve you having to switch off a key CPU feature in order to get acceptable performance. Even then, XP is still better IMHO.

Eth

Check your graphics drivers are the latest supporting Win 7, at least for nvidia they have had some updated drivers since the release of the Win7 Evaluation Copies. That may fix the miss carrier.

I downloaded the latest 190.38 64bit drivers from nVidia just yesterday when I installed. Maybe I just sank somehow. :)

This is good advice.

UNLESS you happen to be running an i7. There are problems with i7s, A2 and Win 7 that involve you having to switch off a key CPU feature in order to get acceptable performance. Even then, XP is still better IMHO.

Eth

I have a friend who just picked up a new i7 system and put a release candidate of Win7 64 bit on it... he's getting good frame rates and no problems with hyperthreading on or off. He said there are some very particular areas where he sees a minor frame rate drop with HT enabled, but nothing catastrophic. He's also running a GTX275... so I wouldn't say X causes problems, rather it has more to do with all the components on a given system and how it's set up than any one particular thing.

This is good advice.

Eth

I think I'd run into this problem. It's horrible. :(

I downloaded the latest 190.38 64bit drivers from nVidia just yesterday when I installed. Maybe I just sank somehow. :)

I have a friend who just picked up a new i7 system and put a release candidate of Win7 64 bit on it... he's getting good frame rates and no problems with hyperthreading on or off. He said there are some very particular areas where he sees a minor frame rate drop with HT enabled, but nothing catastrophic. He's also running a GTX275... so I wouldn't say X causes problems, rather it has more to do with all the components on a given system and how it's set up than any one particular thing.

I've replicated it on 4 systems here. Pretty much all of the i7 users here are reporting the same thing. It may be specific to the version of Win 7 but I have used pretty much every RC/Beta and am now on the RTM.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I've replicated it on 4 systems here. Pretty much all of the i7 users here are reporting the same thing.

Well I guess I'm glad I have a lowly Q6600 @ 3.7 then. ;)

Well I guess I'm glad I have a lowly Q6600 @ 3.7 then. ;)

Yah, it's a pain but I'm sure it's in the priority queue of fixes as you can't really expect people who are running cutting edge machines to put up with it for too long.

I'm happy to run it on XP 64 in the meanwhile.

Eth

Just so long as you're happy. Like you said, it's something that will certainly get sorted out eventually.

I think the Q6600 @ 3.7 is definetly helping you out. I run the same cpu (G0 stepping), stock cooling, at 2.7 ghz, 6gb ddr2-800mhz, GTX295, Win 7 64 bit and get around 20-40 FPS in single player, muliplayer is much better performing almost never going below 30 at any time. Seriously thinking about purchasing a zalman cooler or something for my q6600 and see what i can get stable.

---------- Post added at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

Forgot to add the strangest thing, even if I lower settings, doesn't change performance at all, still same fps and that goes for all 3d resolution options, even tried at 800x600 still same lowish fps. Probably just need to crank the cpu, but not sure.

Just so long as you're happy. Like you said, it's something that will certainly get sorted out eventually.

I'm very happy with the game. Some of the AI's behaviour is a little annoying but it will all get sorted.

I just hope that the patch goes some way to helping those who are having problems that are preventing them from enjoying such a fantastic game :)

Eth

I had the exact opposite.....runs horrible for me in Windows 7.

I think the Q6600 @ 3.7 is definetly helping you out.

It's absolutely not hurting that's for sure. I just spent some time with my 6GB of ram concoction and got the timings down to 4-3-3-8-2T at 857mhz and that doesn't seem to hurt either. ;) I would definitely get a cooler (Vendetta 2 here), the Q6600 is a great overclocker.

I just hope that the patch goes some way to helping those who are having problems that are preventing them from enjoying such a fantastic game

Absolutely agree.

I had the exact opposite.....runs horrible for me in Windows 7.

That's one thing about ArmA2, it seems very fussy about different hardware combinations. So much so that it might run great on one machine and horrible on an almost identical machine. Must be a nightmare for BIS to sort out where the problems are.

Yea I agree, imagine all the combinations of hardware! Probably why PC gaming seems to be dieing. I would imagine its way easier to program games for an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 over a PC.

But I will never stop being a PC gamer for FPS!!! PC is the only way when it comes to FPS.

I can't install the patch for ArmA2 with Windows 7 64bit because it makes the game crash

Note that Windows 7 is not released yet and ArmA2 does not support that OS

I can't install the patch for ArmA2 with Windows 7 64bit because it makes the game crash

Note that Windows 7 is not released yet and ArmA2 does not support that OS

You should post a new thread for your issue. win7 had no issues installing three different versions of the game and updating...