Sign in to follow this  
moerty-RR-

moving turret turns on engine.

I believe its an intended feature for sake of AI seek & destroy, etc.

In Arma 1, it got very exploited where people would hop in static attack choppers and blackhawks etc or even LAV's and tanks in the gunner positions, (most cases in EVO) where if you are not in driver seat, the enemy AI wouldnt bother because they think vehicle is empty... So you couldnt even create a enemy AI attack to search and destroy a tank, because if a player was not in the driver seat, the AI would not attack it..

So what happened for attacks is that everyone sat in base in the gunner on the choppers mowing down attacking AI, that wouldnt shoot back.. Not very fun, but if its easier a human will take that route 99/100 times.

By forcing the engine on this prevents this exploit.. also makes it possible for ai to be dumped into that position and hopefully you can have enemy AI attack and actually destroy a tank that might be a strategic asset not being guarded well...

Hi all

I am guessing that Tank turrets can not be moved by hancrank anymore they are just too big and heavy.

Kind Regards walker

I think they can, but maybe it varies from tank to tank.

During my service I spent a lot of time in the back of a CV9030 (IFV), and the gunner operating the 30mm turret could move the turret by using a hand crank. I think it would be pretty logical to include that feature in modern day tanks, in case the electrics/hydraulics fail..

Edited by OstiasMoscas

the gunner operating the 30mm turret could move the turret by using a hand crank. I think it would be pretty logical to include that feature in modern day tanks, in case the electrics/hydraulics fail..

That is one of the key reasons that all vehicles with a turret have that. Turret power always acts up eventually, it's just a matter of when and when it does you are going to have some very tired arms until the mech can fix it.

I think they can, but maybe it varies from tank to tank.

The RL counterparts of AFV`s featured in ArmA2 should all feature manual crank mechanism for turret traverse and elevation.

The M1A1/A2 tanks have two electrical zones, hull and turret. The turret is actually moved via hydraulics. The electrical powers the thermal imaging system, laser range finder, ballistics computer, CITV, and the hydraulic pump. If you keep moving the turret pressure will drop and once it hits a certain point the hydraulic pump kicks on. When the engine is on it provides hydraulic pressure, and the electrical hydraulic pump is not used. At some point you're going to have to kick the engines back on to charge the batteries if you're moving the turret a lot, causing the hydraulic pump to keep running. Although contrary to popular believe the M1A1 series are very quite. Especially when just idling. And if you've never heard one before, they can easily be mistaken for the wind howling when heard from a distance.

Now some units with the M1A1 started using APU's so that they could sit in tactical overwatch without running the engine. Not because of noise, but because of heat. M1A1 tanks have giant turbine engines, which produce a big heat signature, and suck down fuel. Problems with the APU's above were that they were exposed and could be easily damaged, separate from main fuel, and quite noisy. But they did have a much smaller heat signature and consumed less fuel. I don't know if any units are fielding them yet, but on the M1A2 SEP, and maybe regular M1A2's, they've been working on UAPU. These units actually sit near the engine under the armor and are minature turbines. They do produce heat, but not even close to what the main turbine does. They're also quiet and consume less fuel. Perfect for doing overwatch and you are not going to be moving your tank.

Side note. You can move the turret manually and fire the main gun without any power. It doesn’t move very fast and kills your arms, but it is possible.