Sign in to follow this  
nopulse

Memory

I don't know if this topic has been discussed yet and I apologize if it has. But does OPF only support up to 256mb of memory?

I have 1gb of SDRAM on my system. If I go into OPF Preferences it recognizes that I do indeed have 1gb of memory. But if you click on the "advanced" tag in OPF Preferences and then click the "performance" tag it only shows that the the total memory is 256mb and the bar is moved all they way to the max. setting.

So does OPF only support up to 256mb of memory?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 16 2002,10:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What would you need 1gb for anyway?<span id='postcolor'>

It's impossible. You can't even use all your memory for a game. Windows and other programs are also using the memory. And OFP doesn't need more memory.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ Feb. 16 2002,21:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What would you need 1gb for anyway?<span id='postcolor'>

It's impossible. You can't even use all your memory for a game. Windows and other programs are also using the memory. And OFP doesn't need more memory.<span id='postcolor'>

That's his point.

And if you have a Win9x based OS having more than 512 MB of memory can cause problems.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (amos m @ Feb. 16 2002,10:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's his point.<span id='postcolor'>

Are u sure? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 16 2002,10:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And if you have a Win9x based OS having more than 512 MB of memory can cause problems.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, bill gates is Bill Gates.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know if this topic has been discussed yet and I apologize if it has.  But does OPF only support up to 256mb of memory?<span id='postcolor'>

OFP can use more than 256 MB, as its internal heap can grow up to 512 MB if neccessary and it can also allocate some more memory out of the heap (like Direct3D resources or memory mapped files). Some memory (actually sometimes a lot) is also used by operating system and its services.

In real life more than 256 MB is proably almost never used, as for a mission that would require that much memory even the most powerfull CPU available today will be bottleneck.

This will probably change when faster CPUs will be available. If we consider 512 MB allocated on internal OFP heap, about 100 MB for file access and about 100 MB for operating system, we have about 700 MB used - and that is likely the theoretical limit OFP can really use.

Installing more that 1 GB will therefore have never sense for OFP, and installing more that 512 MB has probably very little effect unless you have very fast CPU and you are playing very complex mission. Good way to check memory really used by any application is to open WinNT Task Manager and check Mem Usage field, which shows current Working set size of any process.

i also use 1gb ddr ram with an athlon 1.2 and mobo supports up to 3 gig ram. II know it wont all be used but it was damn cheap so i thot mmm il just prepare myself for future games etc.

Wow a 1gig of ram!

I remember when having 8mb of ram was considered alot. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sh3ll_Sh0ck2 @ Feb. 17 2002,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow a 1gig of ram!

I remember when having 8mb of ram was considered alot.  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yeah, in 1993.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And if you have a Win9x based OS having more than 512 MB of memory can cause problems. <span id='postcolor'>

Not true in my case. I have 896MB's RAM and I am running 9x with no problems. I didn't really expect it to help too much, I just got it because it was cheap and I knew the prices would rise. Though having said that, so much is great for using RAM disks etc which will use that much RAM smile.gif

I said RAM too many times in this post wink.gif