Sign in to follow this  
5133p39

AI strategy for various game modes.

I would like to gather some ideas about how to design and implement some basic logical AI playing strategy for different game modes (namely Conquest).

I am mostly interested in 'Conquest' strategy, because that is what i am working on right now, but i don't mind discussing other game modes (although my mind is currently preoccupied with thinking about the Conquest mode, so thats what i prefer to discuss).

My goal is to create efficient logic to drive the AI, and put together an easy to use template, which could be used to create missions based on this game mode.

So far i have some basic SP template which provides scripts to spawn and control individual units (1 unit per group) able to conquer flags, but i am still missing some good quality logic for controling the "bots":

1. Currently the template supports only 2 opposing sides, but it should be easily adapted to 3 opposing sides just by adding another side-specific HQ marker on the map.

2. There are 8 flags, each defined by a marker placed in the editor.

All the neccessary triggers, to keep track of flags/bases being (not) conquered, or (not) under attack, are automatically created, and so on.

Right now mission designer only adds markers to define location of bases and flags.

3. Each side spawns 30 units, which are controlled by waypoints created on the fly, depending on the current recommended strategy (conquer flags / defend base / defend flags under attack).

Now i need to devise some algorithm to weight the importance of flags and bases, and choose corresponding strategy.

The weighting is currently based on ratio of accessibility of given flag, and accessibility of other flags when the given flag is used as a starting point.

(how fast can AI get to given flag from nearest conquered flag, which are the best accessible flags from this point and how important they are, and how far is the nearest enemy flag/base).

But this is very simple and i am far from being satisfied with it, so i need some more ideas of how to calculate the current importance score of all flags.

And the last but not least, i desperatedly need to devise some way how to decide how many bots to send to which flag (to conquer, or defend).

I tried already various methods, all of them based mostly on the known enemy presence in the area, but i didn't managed to come up with a really working solution.

...sorry, i must go now, i will finish this post later :)

Some general rules i used to go by:

- amount & types of resources at the flag. Factories are more important than medic tents for example.

- Nr of neighbor flags (less neighbors -> this flag is more important)

- Attack/defend decision: Nr of friendly neighbor flags vs Nr of enemy neighbor flags

- Send recon units to enemy flags to determine amount & types of enemy forces. Multiply flag importance with force type via Stone, Paper, Scissors gamerules:

-- Airvehicles have advantage over groundvehicles

-- groundvehicles have advantage over infantry

-- infantry have advantage over airvehicles

:)

Airvehicles are somewhat special though. It's not too realistic to 'bind' a chopper to patrol over a single flag. It makes more sense to make airvehicles a special sort of force that can be called in IF the flag has communication equipment to do so. Which would make ECM signals coming from an enemy neighbor flag a countermeasure against com towers.

Also commandos can be used as a small hit & run group against com towers.

Other decisions that could be made at a flag:

- give up flag when enemy onslaught is coming up (tactical retreat situation)

- give up flag to lay mines (trap)

- call in long range artillery (same com problems as call air support) via forward observer

- use snipers on high mountain near enemy flag. maybe make flag commander a special unit ?

- attack a flag you dont need to, then fall back shortly afterwards. then attack your real target.

Edited by ])rStrangelove