Sign in to follow this  
asmorrey1

help, insanity encroaches!

in some circles i think i am already officially insane :eek:

basically I have tried altering cfg and profile files, i've tried a programme that shuts down all un-neccasery services, programmes etc. I've got latest drivers, patches and the such. I've set compatability to xp. I've reduced visuals (changing which doesn't seem to make much difference at all?!).

I'm at my whits end. I still can only manage around an average of 10-11FPS (according to Fraps) with a maximum of 27.

My system:

Intel core 2 due e8200 2.66GHZ;

1GB Sahpire radeon 4870 HD;

2GB ram;

Running on windows 7 RC build 7100.

Is there anything else i can do or is it time i throw in the towel? Is the game worth keeping or will this stuff eventually be fixed in patches?

Thanks alot for any help in advance.

Regards,

Adam M

Oh, well i wonder if i can get a refund (most probably not!). For goodness sake, why release it in this state! I wouldn't buy a chair with three legs or a car with a bust engine would i! I mean maybe you can't compare these different types of market but it just seems almost a slap in the face. Oh well rant over *grabs his ticket number and heads to the back of the que*

p.s its confusing and annoying that some peoples can get to play this perfectly well! :( why can't i? Worth a reinstall?

Edited by asmorrey1

I wouldn't buy a chair with three legs or a car with a bust engine would i

Well you must of cause you got suckered into buying this game just as I did.

what are your gfx settings? with your hardware you must be getting at least 25-30 fps in avarange.

My settings are:

Texture:high

AF:V High

AA: Disabled

Video memory: Default

Both 3d resolution and normal resolution: 1440x900x32

Terrain: Normal

Object detail:low

Shadow:High

Postprocess effects:Off

Interface:Normal

I also changed scene complexity to 160k, my view distance is quite far but only because i didn't notice much change in performance by having it high. Do you think i should change some of my settings? Thanks for the help

My settings are:

Texture:high

Shadow:High

... my view distance is quite far...

And there you go. If you turn everything... everything... down to low and a nearer viewdistance and you still have problems then worry. I had to bottom out everything at then go up in small increments.

righto i'll go through and try that, i guess i have been a little cocky in the expectations of my system :( i'll report back afterwards. Thanks

righto i'll go through and try that, i guess i have been a little cocky in the expectations of my system :( i'll report back afterwards. Thanks

Your welcome, I hate it too, but the engine has just always been a hog. It seems like I can only play these games 2-3 years after release because by then I have a machine that has enough brute force to handle it. I can run "most other games" really well, but they are made completely different so I know why they run better :(

I think if most people started low and worked their way up instead of jumping in, maxing out everything and then wondering why it lags, then there wouldn't be so many unhappy customers.

Good luck.

Edited by Ebud

in some circles i think i am already officially insane :eek:

basically I have tried altering cfg and profile files, i've tried a programme that shuts down all un-neccasery services, programmes etc. I've got latest drivers, patches and the such. I've set compatability to xp. I've reduced visuals (changing which doesn't seem to make much difference at all?!).

I'm at my whits end. I still can only manage around an average of 10-11FPS (according to Fraps) with a maximum of 27.

My system:

Intel core 2 due e8200 2.66GHZ;

1GB Sahpire radeon 4870 HD;

2GB ram;

Running on windows 7 RC build 7100.

Is there anything else i can do or is it time i throw in the towel? Is the game worth keeping or will this stuff eventually be fixed in patches?

Thanks alot for any help in advance.

Regards,

Adam M

What in-game settings are you using? A lot of performance-related problems tend to be self-inflicted because of over-estimation on what a system can handle.

Yes I have to return feeling rather embarrassed and foolish. I now have it set at an acceptable fps, although it looks like something a 7 year old has drawn :p But the gamepleay is what it's all about for me :) I have to thank those for pointing out my stupidity, i know it's hard but if you could please resist berrating me :p haha i know i deserve it. hey ho thanks for the help

Yes I have to return feeling rather embarrassed and foolish. I now have it set at an acceptable fps, although it looks like something a 7 year old has drawn :p But the gamepleay is what it's all about for me :) I have to thank those for pointing out my stupidity, i know it's hard but if you could please resist berrating me :p haha i know i deserve it. hey ho thanks for the help

We've all done it mate. Gone in there, full-tilt and end up disappointed we can't run at max FPS.

Happy you can at least play. Enjoy and be sure to give CTI and Evo a go, in Multiplayer. Great fun!

Yeah I will definately give it a go, after all this faff the main campaign seems quite buggy any way :p looking forward to online. See you around hopefully :)

I feel your pain. Trust me. I still have ARMA installed for this reason.

Try this addon though. It controls the framerate and really helped me out a lot.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73964

Actually, something is wrong here. Do not think that you should run it on low settings with a system like that.

My x2 4200+, 2gb, 4870 still manages 25-30FPS on medium-high settings as long as the mission isnt incredibly CPU intensive. If you still have a XP install on your PC you should definately try it.

hmmm sadly i cannot do that as I have never had XP on this system. But i will fiddle and test see how high i can push the boundry before it becomes unplayable again.

EDIT: Ok i've got it to quite a nice level now. Happy with it. It seems scenarios are the way to go! Alot more fun, quicker and more accesssible! :)

Edited by asmorrey1