Sign in to follow this  
OverDawg

Memory leak?

Anybody else have this phenomenon? When I play for a bit the graphics will start to lag and fps will go down, pressing alt+tab to minimize the game and then maximizing it again will restore a smooth fps. Seems like a problem to me.

When you notice slowdown try:

Shift & numpad -

then type: flush (you will not see any text typing)

That clears the video RAM but duno if it will help...

Not really looking for a 'solution', just pointing out that this may indicate a problem with memory usage ingame

thx for the reply though :)

Edited by OverDawg

You sure it's memory issue? During these lag periods my gpu usage drops to 30-0%. Wonder what causing this?

OverDawg: I duno if there is a leak problem. It could just be the huge amount of data going through the gcard ram. (It may not be the most efficient code of course)

Machinist: Whats your gcard and your ingame texture and memory settings?

If you have a gcard with at least 1mb...

Try NORMAL or HIGH for textures (not VERY HIGH)

Memory: Try VERY HIGH or DEFAULT.

(Note: DEFAULT is slightly slower in FPS but keeps more textures in ram so there is less popping and updating)

Fast HDD is essential and ArmA works best if installed in its own partition.

Edited by EDcase

OverDawg: I duno if there is a leak problem. It could just be the huge amount of data going through the gcard ram. (It may not be the most efficient code of course)

Why is the performance restored by just alt+tab'ing out and into the game?

It also often happens when fiddling with the graphics settings when in a server. You will get a slideshow but after alt+tab'ing the game will run smooth again. (Providing you didnt put fillrate on 200% :))

Why is the performance restored by just alt+tab'ing out and into the game?

It also often happens when fiddling with the graphics settings when in a server. You will get a slideshow but after alt+tab'ing the game will run smooth again. (Providing you didnt put fillrate on 200% :))

Typical memory behaviour.

Could do the same thing for GTAIV, running with 600+/512mb textures unlocked. It started chugging when crossing the large bridges, but if you alt-tabbed it flushed textures and ran smooth again.