Sign in to follow this  
starstreams

3ds max material editor properties carrying over.

I was wondering if ArmA-II will carry over bump-mapping maps, and the coordinates entered into a material's properties roll outs? I’m not at the stage of understanding how to export my models to ArmA Packs atm, so I have not tested this.

However, the reason I’m asking is, there are a few game engines, (unreal being one) that will crash if you use the coordinate parameters located in the 3dsMax material editors roll outs. In other words, with some engines you need to use a UVW modifier to control coordinates, or the engine will crash, even when using a simple defuse material. Does ArmA-II carry the roll out properties settings over, or is a UVW needed for controlling coordinates?

This is where the problem for using bump-mapping comes in with some game engines, because in 3dsMax, you can’t use a UVW to control mapping coordinates on a bump map for example; you can only control bump-mapping sampling, and coordinates from the material editor's roll out properties of the actual bump map. But again, some engines don’t support entering settings into the roll outs. In this case, a UVW is needed, but bump mapping would not be possible because you can't use a UVW modifier to control coordinates on a bump map texture.

Below is an example of the limitation I'm referring to that some engines have, but I’m not sure if ArmA-II falls into this category?

See example image #3 (Don't use Max's Material Editor)

hxxp://udn.epicgames.com/Two/MAXtoUnreal.html

Thank you.

Edited by starstreams

Not entirely sure what you're asking but I'll try...

3ds Max isn't really part of the asset pipeline for ArmA/ArmA2. While you can (and I do) use it for creating models, you import from 3ds. I am not aware that *.3ds files store what you are specifying, and I'm not aware that Oxygen brings over any material from a 3ds file anyway (other than texture name).

Also, ArmA doesn't use Bump mapping, it uses Normal mapping. And its own somewhat customized variant of that.

Materials are defined in seperate files (*.rvmat) that are assigned using the provided editor (Oxygen).

Hello Rocket

I see, so it sounds like you have to import your 3dsMax files into Oxygen, and then include the textures in that .rvmat format? And then you specially the texture name somewhere? I’m just wondering so I kind of have an outline because I’m not finding a lesson on doing this from start to finish. Just a simple model import/export tutorials would be a huge start.

I’ve been looking around at OFPEP, and trying to find a simple tutorial on how to get my static max models into the editor, but I’m not having luck on that specific task. I also don’t’ know how the scaling size system in ArmA-II works. Like is everything from Max modeled in inches, and carried over to that same scale?

I know I have a lot more searching and reading, and I don’t mean to sound like I’m asking to be spoon feed this stuff, but right now, I’m sort of lost, and looking for the beginning. :o

I was looking at the scripting tutorials which were very confusing, almost like you have to be a programmer before you can understand, so I thought there might be a scripting basics TuT at OFPEP, but I didn’t find one. When the author started taking about containers, and classes it left me hanging? It seems like most of these lessons expect you to know something else. It reminds me of an air-conditioning tech telling someone, hook up the 3 phase unit to the coil, but if you don’t know anything about 3 phase, than the lesson is kind of pointless. You know what I mean.

I was only looking at the scripting stuff in-case I needed to know some of that for working with the configuration files, but I might be spinning my wheels too early.

Right now, I’m just looking for a simple break down on how to do specific things like export and import a max model with textures, with their own coordinates.

By the way, thank you Rocket for mentioning the (*.rvmat) thing. I didn’t realize the textures were stored in this format. This gives me a good start at something too look deeper into. :thumbsup:

Edited by starstreams

Each polygon can store texture AND material file information:

*.paa - this is the format for textures. It's basically a form of DirectX texture. You can read about the different naming conventions. You need to save the original texture as a PNG or TGA (tga for any textures with alpha channel), following the right naming convention, and then convert it using the texture tools to a *.paa file.

*.rvmat - this is the material file. You don't HAVE to have a material defined. More information on rvmat definition is on the wiki. With ArmA2 we have access to additional shaders, including the new "super" shader. I have to say, I think its a brilliant shader.

Thank you Rocket! That was very helpful!

I guess there is no better place to start than with the formats. I appreciate that the link!