Sign in to follow this  
Mattoso

Bad feelings from an old fan...

Just some feelings...

I'm a fan since Operation Flash Point, and I bought all games in the serie, but now, with ARMA2 I'm thinking about leave this game, below is just some bad feelings I have, but I consider this is not acceptable now a days.

- Performance. OPF had a bad performance, but acceptable in 2001 for our not powered PCs.

ARMA1, has the same bad performance no matter what hardware we have and the samething happens to ARMA2. All these games, can't be played in an average frame rate greater than 25fps. This is the main reason why I'm considering in leave this serie, and not buy ARMA2 after playing the ARMA2 demo.

- I was expecting better animations when reloading the weapons and entering in a vehicle. There are tons of games, even the ones made by samall companies that care about these small details. These are small details but improves a lot the feeling of the game.

- Now something the realy hurt me since ARMA1... Not all the vehicles have a visible interior. Operation Flash Point, as far as I remember, had almost all, if not all interiors designed, I mean, while driving a tank, I would like to see some instruments, be able to look around inside the vehicle and etc. Same for gunner and commander position. Yesterday I was playing ARMA1, doing a mission with the M1A1, which does not have the driver and gunner position designed... Just that generic dirt window for the driver... very frustranting for me... Was really especting to see that in ARMA2... I know and I noticed that there are some vehicles with the interior well designed, but why not make it a standard and do that for all??? Why not? I can't understand...

I'm not the ones that consider the visual the most important thing in a game, far from that... I like to play games with an open world, vehicles, multiplayer and good performance... The visuals from ARMA1 is great enough for me, just would like to play that in a beeter frame rate...

ARMA2 behaves exactly like ARMA1 and OPF in my computer, the same average 25 fps.

I have a Quad Core Q6600, 4GB DDR2 dual channel and an 8800GT.

Hope someone from BIS could at least put the eyes in this message. Maybe a next game would cover some of these points, which I'm sure is very important to many people.

Of course I will keep looking to the forum and the community feedback, and if BIS makes a miracle solving at least the performance problem, I will buy ARMA2.

I wish good luck to BIS solving the problems and improving this game serie, which in my opinion is unique and still inovative.

i really get the sense that this game was needlessly rushed out of spite and personal feelings re: the Operation Flashpoint game coming out shortly.

hopefully they fix things up quick though - i know many that are losing patience.

Hi bud, same rig here but performance here isn't that bad. It's not great either but playable.

I'm just going to tell you my settings so you can try it yourself:

Res & Fillrate both set to 1680x1050

Post Process DISABLED

Shadow HIGH

Terrain & Object detail MEDIUM

Video Memory & Texture detail VERY HIGH

AA DISABLED

View Distance at 3000m

The next time I will play I will try the "-maxmem=2047" command again (add to shortcut) and the new "-openal" which seems to fix even crashing issues for some.

Pre Render Frames Ahead set to 8 seems the magic number but I will have to test again since I got back to default 3 the other day (didnt notice anything spectaular in frames, even maybe a tad more lag)

I have set my LocalVram manualy in the .cfg file but it already was about the same figure so I guess the game recognized it properly.

I mayt be forgetting something but for now that should do for now.

Also, in MP, as much as I hate the GFX without it, I disable the grass but still put the view distance at 3000m.

Good luck!

Edited by Snowwhite

Can't agree more. It's not the time for pointing fingers, but the moment of ARMA II dev team to fight and make a difference. Remember something that other game companies cannot achieve nowadays, and you are just one step forward to bring us the good old memories of the 80's. You guys do have a passion to make a good game. Keep on it!

Please fix the game and let us enjoy it.

I wonder if some expansion can, with new campaign and numerous improvements for the gameplay, save ArmA2?

I have no problems with performance though.

Hi bud, same rig here but performance here isn't that bad. It's not great either but playable.

I'm just going to tell you my settings so you can try it yourself:

Res & Fillrate both set to 1680x1050

Post Process DISABLED

Shadow HIGH

Terrain & Object detail MEDIUM

Video Memory & Texture detail VERY HIGH

AA DISABLED

View Distance at 3000m

The next time I will play I will try the "-maxmem=2047" command again (add to shortcut) and the new "-openal" which seems to fix even crashing issues for some.

Pre Render Frames Ahead set to 8 seems the magic number but I will have to test again since I got back to default 3 the other day (didnt notice anything spectaular in frames, even maybe a tad more lag)

I have set my LocalVram manualy in the .cfg file but it already was about the same figure so I guess the game recognized it properly.

I mayt be forgetting something but for now that should do for now.

Also, in MP, as much as I hate the GFX without it, I disable the grass but still put the view distance at 3000m.

Good luck!

Tks for the quick answer,

I read that thread about NVidia owners, and tried all that stuff, but it didn't make much effect, just about 3 FPS in gain.

What is strange, if everything is very low or very high, the game is still the same, no improvement in the FPS. (Remembered me when I first played ARMA1 demo)

Just for confirmation, at night I will try exactly your suggested config, and those two execution parameters.

Maybe it is a game to buy in one year and half. Maybe we need to give BIS time to finish/fix everything like what happened in ARMA1.

I remembered when I played the demo of ARMA1, I blamed that. Horrible and unacceptable bad performance. Then.... One year later I bought it, it was already in 1.14 patch. I didn't even finished all campaing's missions. Probably I will be playing ARMA1 for while until they finish ARMA2.

But you know... ARMA2 is there and I'm crazy to play it, but in its actual state, it is a terrible tentative... Will need a lot of time reading here and there, tweaking things, losing the time that I already don't have...

Why can't they just delivery something that we can buy, install and have fun?

Oh man...

Fingers crossed here for BIS to finish/fix ARMA2 soon...

if the game runs the same on high or low settings it must be the cpu? cos the graphics card is displaying everything it throws at it

Yeah, in most cases it seems to be the CPU. I'm running on pretty much the same setup as you but have a e7300 CPU. While the CPU is cheaper and only duel core, it's faster on single core access time. I get very good performance, (90 fps on all very low settings, 22fps on all very high), in Campaign mode I get a lower frame rate (40fps on very low, 22 on very high), but that's due to all the scripting and such in the campaign.

On a side note, I was running my CPU at 2.8GHz. Over clocking to 3.5GHz gave me a nice framerate increase on Low-medium/high settings, but not at high/very high due to the old 8800GT core (9800GT in my case, same thing) being, well, too old to keep up with these new fangled things.

What kind of increase are we talking here m8? because I still have some room left with my G0 quad.

Like 5 or more like 10?

Thx

A fair amount. Under XP I was looking at going from 24 to 38 average, which at high puts it from 40 to about 65

I think ARMA 2 is a very good game with many improvements from ARMA 1.

And I have been playing since OFP.

Everything is running smoothly on my machine on almost best settings:

Core2quad Q9450

4 gig memory

Radeon HD 4870

I was positively surprised by this game :)