Sign in to follow this  
no1sadvocate=us=

The Dreaded Receiving Error (A Question About It)

Ok. So i get the receiving error. Like so many others. Flushing extends the amount of time before crash. But I only get it in multiplayer. Why? if there is a graphical memory leak, why would it only affect my multiplayer games?

Ok. So i get the receiving error. Like so many others. Flushing extends the amount of time before crash. But I only get it in multiplayer. Why? if there is a graphical memory leak, why would it only affect my multiplayer games?

Started out in MP for me but has extended to SP now as well. I can't have a 5 minute game without it and it gets worse everytime I play which is something I cannot explain.

So now I cannot play at all and don't, I get my kicks my reading every single thread posted in these forums now hoping for some miracle fix as I don't think BIS can fix this anytime soon or they would of released a hot fix. Then again maybe not enough people have the problem for them to be concerned about, I don't know.

Have you checked your page file settings in your computer properties? My game originally ran fine, i started tweaking my computer to get better performance and windows didnt' accept my page file setting changes and left it set to "none." After this, i started receiving the "Receiving..." error like everyone else, usually 15-30 minutes into a game. After I realized it was set to none instead of double my memory (3gb so i set it to 6000mb), the game started working properly again. Just one suggestion if you haven't looked.

Right Click "My Computer" >> Properties >> Advanced >> Performance >> Settings >> Advanced >> Change >> Custome Size >> Set initial and max to double your ram assuming you have at least 2gb of ram (if you don't have at least 2gb of ram then you may have already found your problem).

Let me know if that helps, i'm sure you've probably checked that, but it kind of caught me by surprise.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

I've noticed in empty MP games my frame rates are exceptionally higher. For example, if I join a game with other players, even if they're nowhere near the spawn point my fps is, on average, about 33fps, and stays between 25-33 regardless of how much action is going on. This tells me that there's something inherent to the game that's limiting my FPS. I'll get 55-60 on an empty server, but 25-33 on a server w/just a few players. Also, prior to the ATI catalyst beta driver leak, i could never get over 24 fps, and it was usually around 18fps, that driver update alone added roughly 10fps. Luckily I'm sitting right around 30fps, which is definitely playable.

I almost went as far as to buy a new processor prior to the ati patch, thinking my cpu was holding me back (AMD Phenom x4 9950), but it's obviously not that now. I even OC'd by 500mhz just to see if i'd get any performance after the ATI update and I'm not seeing any improvement.

There was an unusual anamoly where someone joined a server and everyone on the server started to see a big slowdown in FPS, NOT in ping, but in FPS. Everyones perfomance dramatically decreased. At first I thought it was my processor perhaps overheating, or my video cards running hot, but everyone was complaining in chat so i reconnected to the game and mysteriously it went a way. That makes me wonder if perhaps there's some problem with their net code, who knows, just a hypothesis on my part.

Edited by Zman2k02

Here's my thoughts.

It's because in Multiplayer games, you typically respawn back at the base on a regular basis within the same game session and I believe that the Arma2 client texture management is out of whack and is reloading the same textures every time you respawn. The reason why I think this is that in Singleplayer when you restart/reload, the entire thing is rerendered. Essentially you're starting over.

I've definitely noticed that the more I respawn the longer it takes for the geometry and graphics at the base to load back up. It gets slower and slower until I get to the stage where, for example the ammo box pile is just 3-4 solid brown rectangles with no detail of the box. Slowly over the course of maybe 2-3 seconds they finally render as an ammo box but you can see each layer of the object applied.

Eventually, when the arma2.exe hits 1gb+ of physical RAM usage the entire thing goes mental with stretched, flashing textures all over the place apart from when looking directly at the ground or the sky. And that's when it CTDs.

It is not clear how exactly that screen is triggeered hence we can only speculate. What I discovered:

1.) Without changing anything sometimes I could play 2h, sometimes it hits me every few minutes

2.) If it becomes to often, a PC reboot heals it sometimes

3.) if it happens and how hard depends also on the colour of your underwear divided by the number of correct weather forecasts last month

I think they may be right about the page file thing. Effectively it may be writing to the page file but not flushing it out after so it ends up having trouble accessing the memory (at least I think the receiving issue is memory related)

This would also explain why setting a manual page file size (or changing from manual to windows controlled) and/or starting with the -maxmem=2047 has fixed the issue for some people.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Then again, it could also be related to a bottleneck in some cases which would explain why flashing the mobo bios or updating the mobo drivers has fixed the issue for some people.

My question to those of you who feel that it is a RAM/Page File situation is whether or not video information is stored in page file/ram. I know for a fact that it is graphical because my log states the crash is caused by not being able to load textures.

Hm. All very interesting. BIS Should fix it though, it has been happening to a number of people. As with so many others, I really like the game in the time i can play it. I'm frustrated that I spent my $50 and 3 weeks later we still dont have another patch.

hi all,i am here just to meet people with the same black screen error i get...

im happy im not alone but it s unbelievable that many people got this damned bug and bohemia doesnt answer....they are going on to make video about "basic controls" and "editor tips" while we are unable to play online(at least i got the bug online only)...i mean:i bought the game to have fun with people online during my holy free-time...this is not a minor bug but a game-breaker bug so we need info as customers..

omg! I AM KEEPING IT FROM HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN PLAY. The only thing i get is a 5 second receiving screen every few mins. I just totally uninstalled the ATI drivers and installed the Omega Drivers for ATI and everything is kosher. I think the custom drivers have a garbage collection feature or something to clear the bad data. I don't really care. it works. But. I'm scared to restart because i didn't restart at all since uninstalling the ATI drivers. Even though it said to. I'd imagine that the new ones HAVE to be working if I'm playing the game. www.omegadrivers.net

i can play single player fine so it isnt a matter of drivers.......

I'm not saying it is. It may just be that the current drivers don't "clean up" whatever the multiplayer is leaving behind. Since i restarted its not working again... I'm so confused.

I'm not saying it is. It may just be that the current drivers don't "clean up" whatever the multiplayer is leaving behind. Since i restarted its not working again... I'm so confused.

You should read rule #3 of my reply #5 in this thread again:

3.) if it happens and how hard depends also on the colour of your underwear divided by the number of correct weather forecasts last month

If you can play single player fine but struggle with multiplayer, try going to your router setup and set your MTU to 1454 and set your "Block External ICMP" to disabled

If you can play single player fine but struggle with multiplayer, try going to your router setup and set your MTU to 1454 and set your "Block External ICMP" to disabled

during the "receiving" black screen im ONLINE cuz i can hear the sound of the game and i can talk to other players...it seems that the graphic engine doesnt load the image.........

Hi everybody, first post here, please excuse my "french" english :)

Same problem, SP or MP, just tried everything, no way to play without receiving ingame.

My system :

c2d e6400

2Go Ram

ATI hd3850 512Mo

XP SP3

All drivers tested, all graphic settings tested, quiet good FPS (nice work) with settings in normal, but receiving bug anyway....

-maxmem also tested, even in very low settings, with 100fps, reveiving bug.

So, the main campagne is just boring with this kind of problem, and multiplayer isn't playable for me...

After thousands hours playing OFP and Arma, i'm a bit disapointed.

I'll try this evening changing memory settings in windows, as posted here, but i'm not so confident... Wait and see.

I know BIS support is really good, so really hope they are concerned with that ;)

I know BIS support is really good, so really hope they are concerned with that ;)

what?!support?! it would be very good if they give us some kind of update about it....

Let's summarize:

There is a significant number of BIS customers getting the "receiving...." screen under various circumstances (for some only in MP, for some in SP, not consistent over the time). It is hitting both Nvidia and ATI GPU owners.

BIS did not disclosed so far what exactly could trigger this screen.

BIS did not stated if they see any need for action on BIS side (Maruk was rather fingerpointing on Nvidia)

BIS is totally silent and Placebo as mediator between BIS and community is from questionable value for the community.

Well...

Is this bug really about the "sound of silence" ? Any info ? Or maybe should we write another song about it ?

Allez les amis, all together :

"hello darkness my old friend"... ploum ploum ploum :bounce3: