Sign in to follow this  
sanctuary

Daggerfall released for free

If you have missed this Bethesda true masterpiece, for the 15 years anniversary of The Elder Scrolls, Bethesda released Daggerfall for free !

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/07/09/daggerfall-now-available-for-free/

I have played this awesome since 1996 and can only strongly recommend it to everyone.

DOSBox will allow you to play it without problems on XP or Vista.

Edited by Sanctuary

Should be ported to mobile phones or something.

This game is HUGE, without the fast travel you'd spend like 10 real life days to get from west to east.

Unfortunately i find no fun with a game with such poor graphics. Im sure the actual game is great, they should redo it on oblivion engine so i can enjoy it.

Lulz at the person above me

Daggerfall relased eh ? Did they relased some version for newer Windows or do I really need DOSbox as Sanctuary mentioned ?:confused:

You need DOSBox to play on XP/Vista.

If you are totally new to DOSBox, in the bethesda forum some people have took the time to write detailled tutorial on how to run, read one of those there

Nice thing. Had fun with that game. I doubt i'd be up to play that game much. I'm more interested about very rich lore of Elder Scrolls than i'm interested of actual games... Well Morrowind rocks, i love the world.

Problem with these games is that they are heavily fighting focused as most computer "RPGs" are. Just played Shivering isles thru and i, again, got fed up by intensity of fights, mostly in dungeons. There should be option to drop amount of enemies to one tenth of current amount and increase their difficulty by some amount (get rid of auto-leveling). Each fight should feel more unique.

But many seem to enjoy it. I quess Daggerfall's dungeon generator is quite interesting option for them.

Notice that quest-related dungeons all have an unique architecture (some are extremely bizarre but no more spoiler from me :) ) , only the other thousand of optional dungeons/graveyards/etc... are randomly generated.

Daggerfall does not feature the "auto leveling" that is plaguing Oblivion. It is very very easy to die in Daggerfall if you overestimate your character.

In the first dungeon you are stuck in during the opening, depending on which kind of character you have created, it is smarter to actually avoid fights than going into a battle as soon as you see an opponent.

Well i started to see Ancient Vampires, daedras etc. very bad-ass monsters when i started to gain good weaponry and levels, so there seemed to be some sort autolevelling... but not as idiotic as Oblivion has it. In Oblivion whole world follows player, while Daggerfall seems to throw leveled monsters now and then at player for challenge. I could be wrong, haven't ever checked it and it's about 10 years since i last played it!

And generated dungeons were full of monsters, no room to evade. But i did liked to serve mostly in different knight-orders, maybe their missions just had more monsters spawned... Thieving would be interesting to try out as i never didn't much do that in Daggerfall, now days i mostly play thief-focused characters in Oblivion and Morrowind.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Well i started to see Ancient Vampires, daedras etc. very bad-ass monsters when i started to gain good weaponry and levels, so there seemed to be some sort autolevelling... but not as idiotic as Oblivion has it. In Oblivion whole world follows player, while Daggerfall seems to throw leveled monsters now and then at player for challenge. I could be wrong, haven't ever checked it and it's about 10 years since i last played it!

And generated dungeons were full of monsters, no room to evade. But i did liked to serve mostly in different knight-orders, maybe their missions just had more monsters spawned (i didn't have access to patches so my main quest, due bug, halted)... Thieving would be interesting to try out as i never didn't much do that in Daggerfall, now days i mostly play thief-focused characters in Oblivion and Morrowind.