Sign in to follow this  
Eclipse4349

Multiplayer gametype tutorial needed!

One thing Arma would REALLY benefit from is a well made, very in depth mp gametype tutorial. Capture the Island on large map with a lot of human players, or on a smaller map with less human players makes ARMA2 the best game ever made, in my opinion. And I haven't even tried modes like Hold yet.

However, it is daunting to new players. There should really be an in depth tutorial covering EVERY aspect of the multiplayer game modes. For instance, how CTI works, what the symbols on the map mean, what you can do at them, the fact that captured camps (strongpoints) around town supply centers are respawn points as well as weapons and ammo distribution points, etc etc. Most plays get in MP, fumble around, get frustrated, and leave to play a simpler gametype, or leave altogether. I would like very much to see a good tutorial in place. We have the Armory, so why not something similar for a gametype tutorial?

A navigational tutorial would be great also. Most people have no idea how to navigate using the compass or that there even is a compass in the first place, and also no idea how the map is divided into 1000m or 100m blocks and how to give/read grid postitions.

A good tutorial that is easy to spot in the menus before actually joining a MP game would do WONDERS to help this game catch on. And everyone here would LOVE to see it really catch on and become as popular as it deserves to be. The more I play it and get involved in it, the more I love it. Taking the painful learning curve out of MP would be a very good thing for all of us!

Hi Eclipse4349

I agree but is down to each of the gameform authors. Pehaps they need fans of their gameform to give them a hand.

We already have the community Wiki to act as host for this!

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

At least a manual for the official Warfare versions is needed. But true, user made missions (and they will become the missions the most played very fast) should also have their own kind of manual/tutorial. Can't be done by BI, though

Yeah I was referring to the stock missions, since that's where most new players will start. More than likely. But yeah, mission designers should do it as well.

I have already started, look a little further back and I posted my warfare tutorial

Hi all

Maybe we need to aske the moddies to pin an MP Game forms thread with the first post linking to each manual.

Steaksauce1337 have you copied your manual to the community Wiki?

Also Linky please ;)

Kind Regards walker

Yes, I was thinking a few days ago that it is getting to the point that a 'players guide' for users of my script pack would be a good thing. Unfortunately I don't have time to do this but volunteers are welcome to put together something either on the Biki or dev-heaven :-)

Good Mission designs will have brief explanations in the NOTES area regarding what you need to do when playing. I can see how WARFARE would need a manual, lol.

The main MP missions I enjoy are Berzerk, Advance & Secure, and Team Deathmatch. I would think Berzerk or the designer of Advance & Secure would have some manual, but I couldn't find any so I wrote a Berzerk Guide and was going to go public in a couple of weeks after contacting berzerk for more missions and stuff, but feel free to download what I have for a sample:

http://urclan.org/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item12

I may take some time to fine tune that tutorial, make it look nicer, etc., then I'll look to create an Advance & Secure tutorial and make a post (don't hold your breath, lol)... I think Capture The Flag and the generic Team Deathmatch are a no brainer.

My group webpage has a video on ARMA 2 Warfare if you are looking for that info

http://www.urclan.org

Hope some of this helps, but I know a centralized place for MP Mission tutorials would be nice.

Hi Tom_Anger

There is a BIS community Wiki and it is the perfect place for MP Mission tutorials and manuals, there is already a basic guide for Berzerk there.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Basic_Guide_to_Berzerk%21

Pehaps you would care to add you contribution to it. :thumbsup:

I also wrote a sticky thread that links to ArmA II MP missions manuals and tutorials etc.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Cool... gonna check the wiki out now (perfect Friday thing)...do need help on Multi tutorial... week in, learning curve was steep - not overwhelming though for FPS fan....I do want to learn and participate in the coop tonight though!!!!