Sign in to follow this  
xy20032004

1.02 patch lower image quality???

Has anyone noticed that the 1.02 patch greatly lowers image quality?

Compared to patch 1.01, at the same settings --- All max, 1.02 patch reduces a lot of details of medium and far trees and grasses. Trees are most noticeable. They are now much blurried than before, not so crystal clear as that of 1.01. If you turn off postprocessing, the change is much easy to see.

Can anyone find a way to change a *.pbo file or make a mod to increase the LOD range in order to bring back better image quality at all max?

Or at least in patch 1.03, BI can give a selection to players. When choosing very high settings you have very good image quality, choosing other settings it gives you more FPS.

Edited by xy20032004

I noticed this too.

Go into the config and turn your texture quality up.

1.02 patch reduces a lot of details of medium and far trees and grasses. Trees are most noticeable.

Is it just me, or does turning AA off help? I think I'm just paranoid.

my trees have looked like rubbish since 1.00, they look like someone drew them with MS paint :/ no matter what settings i change.

Go into the config and turn your texture quality up.

how is this different to doing it ingame?

Cant say for sure how BIS done things this time but in ArmA1 we got some patch later on wich gave us better performance and a result was to make the trees easier on the system.

ARMA2 runs awesome on my pc except for forests - leaf trees and not much the pine ones. So i would want something done with forests. But not at the expense of blob trees though. But something.

Compared to patch 1.01, at the same settings --- All max, 1.02 patch reduces a lot of details of medium and far trees and grasses. Trees are most noticeable. They are now much blurried than before, not so crystal clear as that of 1.01. If you turn off postprocessing, the change is much easy to see.

Can anyone find a way to change a *.pbo file or make a mod to increase the LOD range in order to bring back better image quality at all max?

Or at least in patch 1.03, BI can give a selection to players. When choosing very high settings you have very good image quality, chossing other settings it gives you more FPS.

I noticed this too.

As I said before, "all max" in both patches, that means everything is at possible "very high" settings. So turning textures to "3" does not help solving medium and far low LOD "blurry trees and grasses" problem.

Do hope someone can make a mod to temporarily double the LOD range before BI makes some changes.

Edited by xy20032004

Were you playing with a higher fillrate optimiser setting before the patch that added AA support? That might be it, I think higher fillrate or resolution setting affects object detail at distance.

I think you could also increase detail further by increasing the "sceneComplexity" value in your "ArmA2Profile" file. You can find it in "\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\<yourprofile>" or just "\My Documents\ArmA 2".

Edited by Maddmatt

1.01 uses super sampling anti-aliasing 2x

1.02 uses multi sampling anti-aliasing 4x or 8x

None has anything to do with LOD of trees or grasses.

"sceneComplexity" has been set to max "1000000"

I already tried increasing that to "2000000", no change.

The Key to solving the problum is some setting inside one PBO file which controlls the LOD distance or range of trees and grasses. If the LOD value of 1.02 can be doubled, well, I think we will get the same good image quality with 4x MSAA as that of 2x SSAA in 1.01.

Absolutely.

When running A2 with the 1.02 patch the first thing i noticed was the difference in image quality... :(

Edited by ALien8ed