Sign in to follow this  
7SD-Toker

bad performance - has recommended hardware

This game needs optimization for sure. My PC runs Vista x64 SP1.

Intel Quad Core 9650 (3Ghz)

6 Gb RAM

ATI 4870 1Gb (Catalyst 09.6 version)

I´ve found that neither different resolutions nor quality settings does not affect real performance in the game. Just some FPS here and there but the mainly i get about 25 FPS and drops in citys to ~18 FPS ingame running 1440x900. :confused:. There must also be some other stuff not linked to bad FPS, some kind of "invisible" stutter that makes my feel like they are bleeding.

I think i´ve soon tried all available settings to get the game running as it should but with no success. My brother with ATI 4870 and with a fast Core 2 CPU and a decent rig also gets crappy FPS. Neither him or me can really play this game even if we are well within the "recommended" hardware spec. Another friend with Intel Q9650/GTX 260 has simular problems. After a 2 hour gamesession i now feel sick and ready to puke..:(

Please BIS, prioritize optimization so we can enjoy the game. The game is way to stressful on the hardware as it is now. Unplayable for now..

Edited by 7SD-Toker

I understand how you feel as the game is so good in terms of gameplay yet the performance really makes it unplayable in some parts (cities...).

I'm pretty sure BIS are working on a performance and bug fix patch... so hopefully we see some good results in the coming weeks. I've pre-ordered mine knowing how badly it runs, I'm hoping for a miracle performance patch as I'm not upgrading my CPU anytime soon (COre2duo @ 3.5ghz) as I believe its fast enough for 9/10 games.. actually for every game except ARMA2 :)

The speed problem you are seeing is because your CPU is getting maxed out, you could probably put the graphics settings up and only lose 2 or 3 fps... yet have a nice looking game.

Yapa

That's really quite odd, I'm on an almost identical rig to that. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 and 2GB DDR2 RAM 1066MHz. I too run at close-to-full and always get between 20 - 90 FPS at 1440x900 (my native resolution). The only area I could see to be your issue is that you have 6GB of RAM and that your 64bit OS is giving you hassle.

hi the performace is not the best at the moment but not bad either i have 30+ fps whit some mixxed settings

and i have a older system

OC ur CPu abit more and ur GPU is fine i hope because i will order one next week

Cities kill my fps too. Cities play like a CPU test on 3d Mark Vantage. lol

I'm upgrading my system today. I'll cross my fingers for a big improvement.

I cross my fingers and hope for a miracle patch.

One funny thing is that i upgraded this morning från Dual Core E6600 to Quad core Q9650 and also added 2 Gb extra RAM. That lifted me ~5 FPS! 5 FPS from upgrading from a 3 year old CPU?

I´d hoped to rescue bad coding with good hardware to no avail. BIS need to get some manhours on this one thats fore sure.

Well alot are having the same problems.

Can i ask what OS system are you using XP or Vista?

Cities kill my fps too. Cities play like a CPU test on 3d Mark Vantage. lol

I'm upgrading my system today. I'll cross my fingers for a big improvement.

Well, just to give you an idea i'm running on Vista 32bit, C2D@3.2ghz, 2gb 1333, X-Fi Fatal1ty, Nvidia 295 GTX and running with the OS and Page on separate physical drives to the game install (all hard drives being 10k Raptors).

All in-game settings are set to Very High, including AA apart from Post-Processing which is set to low. Distance is 3500.

External to the game I force v-sync off.

Game performance starts of great, with fluid gameplay. However, the longer the game is played for the longer it starts to take for textures to load (especially after respawning in multiplayer) until the game just dies with a 'Not Responding' dialog. This tends to happen a lot sooner if the area i'm in comprises of lots of buildings.

Viewing Task Manager on a second monitor the point where the game dies is when the client occupies 1 gig of physical memory. In my system, that comes to 75% of all physical memory in use. Every single time, I can repro this memory leak/critical mass where the client will fall over and die.

So yeah, if you upgrade to something akin to my rig you'll be quite impressed with the performance but sadly things do degenerate until a game restart is required.

Well, just to give you an idea i'm running on Vista 32bit, C2D@3.2ghz, 2gb 1333, X-Fi Fatal1ty, Nvidia 295 GTX and running with the OS and Page on separate physical drives to the game install (all hard drives being 10k Raptors).

All in-game settings are set to Very High, including AA apart from Post-Processing which is set to low. Distance is 3500.

External to the game I force v-sync off.

Game performance starts of great, with fluid gameplay. However, the longer the game is played for the longer it starts to take for textures to load (especially after respawning in multiplayer) until the game just dies with a 'Not Responding' dialog. This tends to happen a lot sooner if the area i'm in comprises of lots of buildings.

Viewing Task Manager on a second monitor the point where the game dies is when the client occupies 1 gig of physical memory. In my system, that comes to 75% of all physical memory in use. Every single time, I can repro this memory leak/critical mass where the client will fall over and die.

So yeah, if you upgrade to something akin to my rig you'll be quite impressed with the performance but sadly things do degenerate until a game restart is required.

I experience this too. But I never see any decent feedback by BIS in this forum... and I smell memoy leaks...

But maybe is "my rig"... or "drivers problems"... the perfects excuses for bad optimization/massive bugs...

These "troubleshooting forums" sponsored by game companies today are lke:

- Please! Another costumer with a bug like mine can help?

Great support and feedback... Thanks! I know the "open forum" is for user to user talk, but an improved feedback in another part of site, or in a "sticky" topic sounds good...

Edited by Ernesto

Ernesto hold down SHIFT and MINUS key then type FLUSH, see if that helps

Hi guys and gals,

I cant understand all the problems that people are getting with this game as I run everything on very high and get 58-67 fps. My spec is as follows.

q9650

biostar tpower 45i

4gb ocz reaper 1066 ddr2

ati 4870 x2 2gb

asus monitor res 1920 x 1200 16:10

vista 32bit

I don't have aa enabled and I have default for mem. I also have pos low but everything else is very high.

My friend has e8500 chip with a 9800gx2 and runs the same settings as me with only a difference of a few fps less. We built both rigs for this game and had no problem running it.

I just find it strange that so many are having problems. Wish I could help.

Edited by Serpy

Send me your rig.. that would help :P

Hi guys and gals,

I cant understand all the problems that people are getting with this game as I run everything on very high and get 58-67 fps. My spec is as follows.

q9650

biostar tpower 45i

4gb ocz reaper 1066 ddr2

ati 4870 x2 2gb

vista 32bit

I don't have aa enabled and I have default for mem. I also have pos low but everything else is very high.

My friend has e8500 chip with a 9800gx2 and runs the same settings as me with only a difference of a few fps less. We built both rigs for this game and had no problem running it.

I suspect that the speed that the crashes happen is directly influenced by the in-game settings.

With everything aside from Post Processing on Very High I crash in less time, compared to having the settings lower.

Hi,

I have only ever crashed to the desktop once and that was when I set mem to very high. I will admit that with aa on my fps drop 20+ to about on average 31 which is still fine but I don't think it is worth it.

As for sending my rig it cost me £550 to put together so I will take a rain check on that one ...

It is funny how this game works for some and not others. I would like to know bi's hardware as it would help in finding a common ground for everyone.

One last thing is that I do have the game install on its own hard drive and defrag often, as does my friend.

We both play for long periods of time, up to 8 to 9 hours at a time and we use skype to talk during it with no effects on the game.

Edited by Serpy

Hi,

I have only ever crashed to the desktop once and that was when I set mem to very high. I will admit that with aa on my fps drop 20+ to about on average 31 which is still fine but I don't think it is worth it.

As for sending my rig it cost me £550 to put together so I will take a rain check on that one ...

It is funny how this game works for some and not others. I would like to know bi's hardware as it would help in finding a common ground for everyone.

One last thing is that I do have the game install on its own hard drive and defrag often, as does my friend.

We both play for long periods of time, up to 8 to 9 hours at a time and we use skype to talk during it with no effects on the game.

whats in your arma.cfg?

And have you played MP yet?

Hi KKlownboy,

I have never altered the cfg file so it is just what arma 2 sets. As for Mp no I haven't just the co-op in the campaign which has no different to playing by my self other than the yellow and red chain every now and then.

Hi guys and gals,

q9650

biostar tpower 45i

4gb ocz reaper 1066 ddr2

ati 4870 x2 2gb

vista 32bit

Wow that is impressive performance considering you have everything on very high and are running at such a high resolution! Is that the speed in multiplayer, or is it like that in the campaign too?

I have an 8800GTX which isn't as strong, but my CPU is running at 3.4Ghz and I don't have any way near that kind of speed. I can only run on low/medium. Hmm. I would hate to upgrade for just 1 game lol, I am tempted though.

I wonder maybe the front side bus speed helps or something. Or if maybe more RAM helps. I have 2gig which has always been fine for XP 32, but maybe I should get more. Either way, I am waiting for a patch to hopefully do something to help first.

Hi KKlownboy,

I have never altered the cfg file so it is just what arma 2 sets. As for Mp no I haven't just the co-op in the campaign which has no different to playing by my self other than the yellow and red chain every now and then.

i was hoping you would post your arma.cfg settings