Sign in to follow this  
wazandy

A genuine first person firefight captured on film.

Haha, spot on Apocal. I had a mental chuckle at that burst, definitely not in the 3-6 round category. The amusing thing was that shortly after that was the comment about running low on ammunition.

The way I was trained was: "The only rule in a firefight is fire superiority. Everything else is negotiable."

sound in Arma2 is better than #1, Guns sound pretty good, bullets ricocheting sound really good. But some things sound pretty bad to me. The major sounds that need fixing are the explosions. We need more variety, they also sound very "washy" with a lot of white noise or something in the explosion, hard to explain. They lack punch and character. Rockets being fired from apcs, inf and aircraft also sound odd, with more of that white noise.

I have yet to try VOP mod. I always used CSM (the best sound mod imo) with Arma1. I hope Chammy can find the time to work his magic once more.

Gee, I hope Chammy makes another sound mod for arma 2.

sound in Arma2 is better than #1, Guns sound pretty good, bullets ricocheting sound really good. But some things sound pretty bad to me. The major sounds that need fixing are the explosions. We need more variety, they also sound very "washy" with a lot of white noise or something in the explosion, hard to explain. They lack punch and character. Rockets being fired from apcs, inf and aircraft also sound odd, with more of that white noise.

I have yet to try VOP mod. I always used CSM (the best sound mod imo) with Arma1. I hope Chammy can find the time to work his magic once more.

They maybe better then ARMA1 but there is still a lot that doens't really add up - for excample - the Gatttling cannon in the helo - if you have ever heard one either in real life or in a real clips you know it's extremly loud.

One thing I don't understand - And I may say at this point that I worked in the games industry more precise - for Vivendi - quite a while.

I don't understand how sometimes Developers spend all the time to create a realistic game but than when it comes to the dialoge or the in game sounds tend to forget all about it.

For excample: the ingame Dialoges are extremly cheesy - all they needed to do is have a look (on my webpage for excample) what and more important how Soldiers talk to each other when they are under fire.

And again it depends where you look - In Iraq you have a lot of Soldiers that have just been deployed or have their first combat experience therefore you have a lot of GO GET SOME GO DIE etc.

However - In Afghanistan you have a lot of very battle hardened troops - you rarely hear them shout GO GET SOME etc these guys are on their second and third tour sometimes and are very professional - they shout orders and or commands but thats about it - no cheering etc.

I think if you want to simuate a Deep force recon team in ARMA2 (which is still debatable if they are special forces or SO) they shouldn't say lines like....- Oh brother and if we see some action I show them who's fucking boss.

To me that sounds extemly cheesy - much better would have been if they wouldn't have said anything but you can hear the radio chatter in the bakground - or you hear one guy confirming their mission - no HORAA stuff but simple guys that do a job and know how to do it well.

Hope I haven't gone over board - but the Dialog in a game is so important to me personaly.

Edited by ApacheStark

They maybe better then ARMA1 but there is still a lot that doens't really add up - for excample - the Gatttling cannon in the helo - if you have ever heard one either in real life or in a real clips you know it's extremly loud.

One thing I don't understand - And I may say at this point that I worked in the games industry more precise - for Vivendi - quite a while.

I don't understand how sometimes Developers spend all the time to create a realistic game but than when it comes to the dialoge or the in game sounds tend to forget all about it.

For excample: the ingame Dialoges are extremly cheesy - all they needed to do is have a look (on my webpage for excample) what and more important how Soldiers talk to each other when they are under fire.

And again it depends where you look - In Iraq you have a lot of Soldiers that have just been deployed or have their first combat experience therefore you have a lot of GO GET SOME GO DIE etc.

However - In Afghanistan you have a lot of very battle hardened troops - you rarely hear them shout GO GET SOME etc these guys are on their second and third tour sometimes and are very professional - they shout orders and or commands but thats about it - no cheering etc.

I think if you want to simuate a Deep force recon team in ARMA2 (which is still debatable if they are special forces or SO) they shouldn't say lines like....- Oh brother and if we see some action I show them who's fucking boss.

To me that sounds extemly cheesy - much better would have been if they wouldn't have said anything but you can hear the radio chatter in the bakground - or you hear one guy confirming their mission - no HORAA stuff but simple guys that do a job and know how to do it well.

Hope I haven't gone over board - but the Dialog in a game is so important to me personaly.

I completely agree with you here. BIS always seem to screw up the voice acting. And lol at "Oh brother and if we see some action I show them who's fucking boss.". I mean who the fuck says that haha.

the ync.com is where its at ! - you become immune to it after a while....

If we were talking about arma 1 I would agree.

The thing is that when microphones record actual gun fire it's a bit over modulated. When I fire 5.56 and 7.62 IRL, I can tell the game (A2) replicates it much better than the news footage.

Yes, the voice acting in arma 2 is horid...

"Letzzzz blow some shittt uppP!!!!!" :yay:

Why did OFP have so much better dialauge and generaly had better immersion to any arma game and its like 8 years old?

I mean the after motignac mission is my fav mission in gaming history, and the missions towards the end witch turn quite frantic and panicy, were probably the only missions in witch i started sweating :p

Anyways, i wish arma was as frantic as the video, AI never uses cover, they just stay there... shooting until somone falls, nobody shouts, its just generic at times :(

Just a heads up, from a sound engineering perspective:

The sounds from this fire-fight are recorded with Journalist's video cameras, in Layman's terms the best way to describe the fidelity of what you're hearing is: non-existent.

In technical terms very few microphones, microphone amplifiers, and DACs can capture the impulse of a firearm in near-field recording without gross triple digit distortion.

Even with a SOTA mic and amp setup, the AGC in front of most DACs will clamp dramatically as you hear in this video creating a dull thud, that is not even the sound of the weapon as much as massive overload and the AGC companding one huge noise and distortion artifact.

Even when the camera is not in close proximity to the weapon being fired in this video, you can hear gross overload, that again has harmonic, intermodulation, transient, and companding distortion in the triple digit range.

You may, and are welcome to prefer these sounds to what's currently in ArmA II, but that doesn't make them any more realistic.

:butbut:

Edited by Hoak