Sign in to follow this  
CidCaldensfey

Is there a way to let the bots squadlead?

Heya, I'm new to Arma2. I'm trying to get past the Red Harvest mission but I can't. Every time I do it, someone in my squad gets shot because I suck at this game. I can't see where the enemies are unless I look at my map, and even then I don't know where they are on the field.

As for my squadmates, I keep telling them to engage at will but they just do really stupid crap. Like I told them to run to a house, and they did just that, but each one of them strolled on over and ended up get picked off by a guy laying down behind a wall.

So I don't know what to do. I just want to play this game and have fun but it's extremely frustrating. And this squad interface is the worst I've ever used before (it's probably get once you figure it out). It's just very counter-intuitive to have to press nearly 3-4 buttons in -just- the right order just to tell one guy to do something so simple like take a shit.

Seems like a really awesome game and worth getting into. It also just seems extremely overly complicated. But yes, is there a way to just let the bots squadlead? I tried switching to a different team member on Red Harvest but nothing happened.

Edited by CidCaldensfey

well, u r right about the command interface being really too complicated and unfriendly.

what i can suggest that u do, since i dont think u can let someone else lead, is being up the map, than select all soldiers (` key) and while they are all selected point with the marker (mouse) on the soldier u want to choose. choose him and click on the emey that is giving u a hard time. issue him a direct attack order over that specific enemy via the map.

even that is over complicated and neddlessly so in ARMA2 but what can u do?

use the map + choose all + click on individual soldiers to make them walk to where u want to and shoot who u want to. it's easier to tell them who to attack on the map than on the 3d view since the enemy is hard to find.

Heya, I'm new to Arma2. I'm trying to get past the Red Harvest mission but I can't. Every time I do it, someone in my squad gets shot because I suck at this game. I can't see where the enemies are unless I look at my map, and even then I don't know where they are on the field.

As for my squadmates, I keep telling them to engage at will but they just do really stupid crap. Like I told them to run to a house, and they did just that, but each one of them strolled on over and ended up get picked off by a guy laying down behind a wall.

So I don't know what to do. I just want to play this game and have fun but it's extremely frustrating. And this squad interface is the worst I've ever used before (it's probably get once you figure it out). It's just very counter-intuitive to have to press nearly 3-4 buttons in -just- the right order just to tell one guy to do something so simple like take a shit.

Seems like a really awesome game and worth getting into. It also just seems extremely overly complicated. But yes, is there a way to just let the bots squadlead? I tried switching to a different team member on Red Harvest but nothing happened.

Set your difficultly to Recruit . That way it will be much easier for you to see the enemy. Also I have died on some misssions and had the CPU turn into the squad leader then I could follow them. I think I did this in the editor.

in the editor its really easy to set the PLAYER as someones who isnt the leader. he wants to know about the SP campaign.

I always just set my people to crouch only, aware and stay in formation ^^ The only other thing i ever do then is the occasional embark,disembark. Tends to work most the time...seeing as they then never wander off, dont keep themselves exposed and are generally easier to keep track of.

But yeah, it is an akward control system, but really if you think about it, is there any other way you can think of that lets you control the ai to the extent that you can, while keeping it user friendly ? :p If you can think of it, im sure BI would love to hear it :rolleyes:

thanks for the replies. I wanted to avoid changing the difficulty but it seems I have no choice lol. I appreciate the responses :)

I always just set my people to crouch only, aware and stay in formation ^^ The only other thing i ever do then is the occasional embark,disembark. Tends to work most the time...seeing as they then never wander off, dont keep themselves exposed and are generally easier to keep track of.

But yeah, it is an akward control system, but really if you think about it, is there any other way you can think of that lets you control the ai to the extent that you can, while keeping it user friendly ? :p If you can think of it, im sure BI would love to hear it :rolleyes:

Well, you could have something like one hotkey for each member, then aim with your mouse, press a certain button and a drop down menu opens with all available commands, when you select one (drag selection with mouse and release menu button for example) the order is issued to the selected member(s) at that location your mouse pointed.

Otherwise voice recognition.

Mil radio comms are fairly easy to learn since they are made as simple as possible... "One, crouch, cover house at 6 o'clock" or "All elements, follow leader, wedge formation, danger" see how simple that would be? ;)

I have'nt used it yet for ArmaII but there is a voice comms system called Pilflus (search on the forum for a link and the latest profile). It simply allows you to issue commands verbally, and I used it very successfully in ArmaI in controlling a squad without messing about with keyboard strokes.

Can be a little involved to set up but well worth a look if you want easier control. It does'nt change behaviour, just allows you to control them more naturally and so in theory more effectively.

cjph

I actually have come to love the interface with the guys in my squad; I tell them to crouch, to lie down to stand up. You can even tell them to sit! and they do!

And you can tell them to advance in different manners, like combat or stealth.

Or in different formations. It's cool to run from field to field in wedge or echelon or line and then enter a town and tell them to file in a tight column.

I double click the space bar to select all the guys in my squad, then hit 8 or 9 to bring down the appropriate menus to select with the scroll bar and left click.

This game is like the original Ghost Recon on $800 a month worth of steroids..

Edited by Cadmium77

I liked the command interface in SWAT 4 and I always thought OFP/ArmA1/2 would be better off with a system like that. In SWAT 3, they had a command interface VERY similar to OFP/ArmA but they refined it in SWAT 4 to be just as effective but MUCH easier to use (although you still had the option of going back to the old way if you want). It's also context sensitive depending on where your looking at so you can give "one click" orders.

To those that have never played SWAT 4, go download the demo to see what I'm talking about.

Not that this matters here (fanbois can skip this sentence), but from what I can tell from gameplay videos it looks like OFP: DR will have a command interface similar to SWAT 4.

I agree with you on the AI issue too. It's quite amazing how freaking dumb the AI is in Arma 2 most of the time. I prefer single player myself and it's a shame we have to deal with such retarded AI.