Sign in to follow this  
jepaul

Arma Crashes! Help Needed! Searched and Nothing!

With out fail every game I play crashes within 10-20 minutes of playing. I get no error messages and it simply comes up and says "ArmA2 Has Stopped Working" nothing else. This goes on and on. What is the solution to this?

I7 920

Vista Ult 64

6g Ram - 1600

295 - 7.15.11.8250

I run 3dmark and Prime stress for hours with no issues.

I run crysis, MOW, any other game you can think of for hours with no issues.

What is the problem here? None of the files asked to upload appear anywhere.

I understand the attitude of devs not being able to fix everyones problems but there seems to be a few more in this game than most on release with drastically fewer fixes. My clan mates all with far inferior rigs seems to run with no problem and from what I have read it is the players with high end PC running the most up to date hardware with the most issues. Have the devs simply catererd to a broder market and are taking a wait and see approach for those with more disposable income?

Edited by jepaul

I had the same problem. I rolled back my Nvidia video card drivers to 182.50 and it doesn't happen anymore.

I'm running an identical set-up to you and I get the same.

@jurrego, it looks like he is already running the 7.15.11.8250 driver

Have a look in the Arma2.rpt file.

You will find it at c\:users\your username\appdata\local\arma 2\

You may have to set 'show hidden files and folders' in folder options on the control panel to make the appdata folder show up.

I suspect it may have something to do with not being able to address video memory.

Out of curiosity what are the memory sizes shown in you arma2.cfg file?

Mine shows:-

localVRAM=922484736; (880Mb ish)

nonlocalVRAM=2143780864;

Which is only about half my video memory.

I suspect this has something to do with the errors, but I have no idea why or how to fix it.

So we get no help here? Should I expect some help on the weekdays and hope something will get done tomorrow?

Jonney my local and non local are the same as yours.

I think it's an issue with GTX 295 GFX cards and something to do with the way the memory is addressed as it is essentially 2 cards in one running in SLI, which ArmA2 doesn't seem to like.

Other than that I don't have a clue.

I think me,you and most of the other GTX295 owners are just going to have to sit it out and hope that BIS brings out a patch to fix this, otherwise I'm afraid ArmA2 is only going to be good as a coaster for my beer.

I think it's an issue with GTX 295 GFX cards and something to do with the way the memory is addressed as it is essentially 2 cards in one running in SLI, which ArmA2 doesn't seem to like.

Other than that I don't have a clue.

I think me,you and most of the other GTX295 owners are just going to have to sit it out and hope that BIS brings out a patch to fix this, otherwise I'm afraid ArmA2 is only going to be good as a coaster for my beer.

And I have no doubt they will refund our money since the side of the box said we could run the game but they failed to mention the 295 didn't count...:)

Ive not seen one crash yet touch wood, im using 185.85 drivers and the first 1.02 patch, not tried the little 1.02 update patch that adds aa yet.

Your also not running a GTX 295 judging by your sig.

Lucky you, shoot some bad guys for us will you.

I would be just as excited if someone official simply came on here and said,

"Look you guys, we are catering the masses here and your high end cards and CPU's are not a priority here. Just fucking chill out and we will get around to fixing your, the minority's, issues when we damn well feel like it."

That would actually make me feel much better about what is going on here and I could at least move on to another game instead of trying over and over with teh hope that I am missing something to get this game to run.

For those thinking of buying the game. Do not under any circumstances buy it if you have an I7, 295, and Vista 64. You will not be able to run it. Don't think you can.

did you turn error reporting off in your system settings? if so turn it back on... dont send the error but it should give you an option of storing the error log... not saying it WILL- but it might give some indication what is causing the problem...

I haven't turned error reporting off. I love me error reporting because it usually points me in the direction I need to go to fix something. In this case nothing.

On a different note I still see we can't get a lick of reply from anyone official. What is up with that. Even Huxley (The worst FPS experience in recent memory) replied to forums posts regarding issues and attempted to fix them.

All I get after I play this game for 10-20 minutes.

"ARMA 2 HAS STOPPED WORKING" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY THE HELL HAS IT STOPPED WORKING. CAN NO ONE TELL ME ANYTHING????

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

I really love honesty from people which we get none of from Bohemia.

I think of myself as a fairly well off person financially with what I would think is more disposable income than most.

What doesn't someone from Bohemia simply come on here and say, "We don't have the resources to fix all the issues right now. We need to hire more peopel but can't. If you can get together $35k we can probably get your specific issue fixed by the middle of next week." NOW THAT WOULD BE SERVICE. Just straight up coming out and saying what the issues are and then giving a option to solve it. This would be so much better than the current state of things which is pure silence and a corporate attitude of "Fuck Off".

What I see in this thread is people answering their own questions. :)

I would look more at the Nvidia Drivers being the cause of your problem.

Do this: ( I know it sounds gay, but just do it anyways )

1. Download the latest Driver (wdm) to your HDD.

2. Get the latest version of DriverSweeper 2.0 b2? Driver-Sweeper-beta-2.0.0

3. Unplug your net cable and all access to the inet.

4. Uninstall The Nvidia Display Driver, Physys and that Stereoscopic 3D driver - DO NOT RETSTART WHEN IT ASKS YOU. (sweep first)

5. Launch Sweeper and tick the Nvidia Display driver and Physys driver sweep and remove.

6. Reboot

7. When the System comes back online it will try and install the default driver perhaps even a VGA driver - thats fine. DO NOT LET VISTA OR WIN7 DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS!!! - If you have to sweep and reboot again.. do it. CLEAN IT ALL OFF.

8. Once you are using the default WDM driver or VGA driver, then load the Latest Nvidia Driver 186.18 or whatever it is for your card. (NOT BETA)

Other

Try a defrag or running sfc, Malwarebytes, AVG and make sure your CLEAN.

At least this is my practice when it comes to Nvidia Drivers and Vista/Win7.

I will say again: DO NOT LET VISTA OR WIN7 AUTO DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO DRIVERS! - UNPLUG YOUR NET CABLE!

g'day

Edited by pchaxor

4870x2 with phenom II 940be + 4gb of ram in vista ultimate x64 and i´m having very similar problems. Constant application crashes into desktop and second gpu seems to be idling...I have tryed every possible method that i have found from number of forums but, nothing seems to help.

What I see in this thread is people answering their own questions. :)

I would look more at the Nvidia Drivers being the cause of your problem.

Do this: ( I know it sounds gay, but just do it anyways )

1. Download the latest Driver (wdm) to your HDD.

2. Get the latest version of DriverSweeper 2.0 b2? Driver-Sweeper-beta-2.0.0

3. Unplug your net cable and all access to the inet.

4. Uninstall The Nvidia Display Driver, Physys and that Stereoscopic 3D driver - DO NOT RETSTART WHEN IT ASKS YOU. (sweep first)

5. Launch Sweeper and tick the Nvidia Display driver and Physys driver sweep and remove.

6. Reboot

7. When the System comes back online it will try and install the default driver perhaps even a VGA driver - thats fine. DO NOT LET VISTA OR WIN7 DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS!!! - If you have to sweep and reboot again.. do it. CLEAN IT ALL OFF.

8. Once you are using the default WDM driver or VGA driver, then load the Latest Nvidia Driver 186.18 or whatever it is for your card. (NOT BETA)

Other

Try a defrag or running sfc, Malwarebytes, AVG and make sure your CLEAN.

At least this is my practice when it comes to Nvidia Drivers and Vista/Win7.

I will say again: DO NOT LET VISTA OR WIN7 AUTO DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO DRIVERS! - UNPLUG YOUR NET CABLE!

g'day

Wait im confused. What question has anyone answered here? I have the most up to date driver installed, the one people here are referring to, and the problem is there. I have always had the driver 1.8250 and it works flawlessly with every other game out there.

Are you telling me to dl a different driver than the one everyone says they are running?

So since it obviously isn't my driver as the one I am running is the only driver ever installed on this VGA what is thie issue here people?

Fnucking shlt it would be nice if someone officicial would at least tell me to fNck off so then I would at least know they read these.

I dont really care what driver you use. The point is to clean up the driver and make sure your system is running a clean driver and such. For some reason unloading and cleaning the driver then reloading often fixes stupid issues like this. If you use Vista or Win7 it often downloads the driver over the net and can f' things up on the dll level. Trust me.

Just do it and quit being a knob. :)

Thank me at a later date.

OR

Suffer with your problem and keep crying about it .. it will eventually fix itself right?!?!?!?!

Edited by pchaxor

Don't want to fan the flames but this problem with the 295 may well be driver related and it may be up to Nvidia to fix it.

I had many bad experiences with my dual 9800GX2 setup back in 2008 and I won't recommend or sell those "dual GPU" cards any more as a result.

The worst case was FC2. It actually took almost 3 months for Nvidia to address the driver problems with that game.

I only mention this as SLI in general works fine. Equally, there are 295 users who seem to have it running at an acceptable level after messing about with the settings etc (I believe FRAG AU is one of them).

JM2C

Eth

I've done all the driver sweeping thing to death, infact, I've even reinstalled vista!

I'm currently running the 186.18 drivers with the EVGA patch and the game runs great, right upto the point it folds.

Problem with the GTX 295? Definately! Who's 'fault' it is? I've no idea.

Anyway, if any of the devs read this and want me to do some testing running driver X and settings Y etc then just PM me and I'll help out as much as I can.

No point in whinging, I thing we just have to play the waiting game rather than the ArmA 2 game.

Installed two new hd's. Running vista 64 on them with clean install and first driver to install is 1.825 for video card.

I then installed arma 2. I then crashed after 10 minutes.

Is this basically the same thing you are talking about pchaxor? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing you were referring to ? If it did then that is exactly what I just did over the last 3 hours.

Jonney faning the flames is better than not saying anything at all. Freaking pch up here with and old school 8800 says it is a driver issue. I have not yet seen someone in here with a 295 tell me how wonderful the game crashes. I think pch only furthers the arguement that people with top notch rigs are being left behind in this game to help get the masses caught up.

I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME I PAID FOR WITH HARDWARE FAR SURPASSING THE REQUIREMENTS.

Im also getting crashes except it crashes my whole computer and reboots me.

GTX295 here in V64 and 0 crashes / lockups.

While the game may run on the low side for a 295 ... it still runs quite well on high settings with AA and 125% fillrate @ 1920.

GTX295 here in V64 and 0 crashes / lockups.

While the game may run on the low side for a 295 ... it still runs quite well on high settings with AA and 125% fillrate @ 1920.

How much ram do you have? I've also got a 295 and vista64 and its crash city now that I got it running with copius amounts of tweaking.

MPBR what driver version are you running?

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Remember I'm double posting my ass off here with the hope it helps my chances.

So I woke up this moring hoping, in fact praying, that my some miracle someone had posted some sort of solution.

Alas, nothing, not soe much as a fuck you from anyone.

Can we please have a seperate forum for people who can't even get the fucking game to work? A lot of the crap in this troubleshooting is stuff like, AI sees to well, my joy stick needs tweaking. Well to be honest fuck off from the TS section at least you can run the game. How about giving us guys a chance to have our posts read.

Again, unfortunately my social life sucks and I will spend the majority of the day playing WC3 tower wars on one monitor and bumping this thread on another.

Have you tried replacing your rig with a lower end say E6750 and an 8800GT Video card? - My game runs great hours on end. I actually have to try and create issues to make things break and fail at it most of the time.

Like ALT/TAB'n to desktop and watch'n a Youtube video while connected to a MP Server for say 20-30 minutes then realizing ... OH YEAH ! I was playing ARMA and ALT/TAB back to play for a few hours more from where I left off.

I mean for the most part I think it is all in the Nvidia Drivers and the GPU/chips on the card that are creating the issues. I have an IDENTICAL 8800GT "spare" card that I just got back from EVGA that under the same exact configuration and driver crashes me to desktop after 10-20 minutes of playing. So I think the card is either bad or the chips on the card are a diff revision or something stupid like that. I know it is NOT ARAMA and more related to the NVIDIA Drivers and chips on the cards. Did they CHEAP out on some chips and perhaps the drivers create issues with these chips? I dunno, but I get that damn openGL error 13 when I use the other card and so far have not found any reason why it would crash. ArmA does not use OpenGL at all, so that is why I say it is NOT ArmA casusing the issue. ArmA may simply "trigger" or stress the card enough so that it does caus the issue though. Again, thats a hardware/driver issue.

So ... Try using a different video card and use only 1 at a time and see if you still crash. It is the Nvidia crap causing the issue though, I am quite sure of that.

Make damn sure all your mobo chipset drivers are up to date and such, I know you have done all that to no end, but I have found stupid issues in the past were simply because a certain driver was "buggy" or perhaps my bios was out of date. What about the FW on the video card? Up to date? Just diggin here.

Sorry for the short book.

Edited by pchaxor

Have you tried replacing your rig with a lower end say E6750 and an 8800GT Video card? - My game runs great hours on end. I actually have to try and create issues to make things break and fail at it most of the time.

Like ALT/TAB'n to desktop and watch'n a Youtube video while connected to a MP Server for say 20-30 minutes then realizing ... OH YEAH ! I was playing ARMA and ALT/TAB back to play for a few hours more from where I left off.

I mean for the most part I think it is all in the Nvidia Drivers and the GPU/chips on the card that are creating the issues. I have an IDENTICAL 8800GT "spare" card that I just got back from EVGA that under the same exact configuration and driver crashes me to desktop after 10-20 minutes of playing. So I think the card is either bad or the chips on the card are a diff revision or something stupid like that. I know it is NOT ARAMA and more related to the NVIDIA Drivers and chips on the cards. Did they CHEAP out on some chips and perhaps the drivers create issues with these chips? I dunno, but I get that damn openGL error 13 when I use the other card and so far have not found any reason why it would crash. ArmA does not use OpenGL at all, so that is why I say it is NOT ArmA casusing the issue. ArmA may simply "trigger" or stress the card enough so that it does caus the issue though. Again, thats a hardware/driver issue.

So ... Try using a different video card and use only 1 at a time and see if you still crash. It is the Nvidia crap causing the issue though, I am quite sure of that.

Make damn sure all your mobo chipset drivers are up to date and such, I know you have done all that to no end, but I have found stupid issues in the past were simply because a certain driver was "buggy" or perhaps my bios was out of date. What about the FW on the video card? Up to date? Just diggin here.

Sorry for the short book.

So basically you are saying that 99% of all 295 cards are bad since just about all of us who have them can't run the game.

I probably agree that it is an nvidia issue with this game EXCEPT my top of the line nvidia card runs every other game out there flawlessly. If I had this same issue with all games than I would be on nvidia forums blasting them for a fix. Since that is not the case it is my opinion that the onus is on boh to fix the problem. Or at the very least come on here and say we did not develope this game for the top of the line nvidia card currently on the market and you sir are just fucked. But, thanks for your $50 and we will make good use of it.

I can say that ArmA II will stress your rig more than ANY OTHER GAME out there. Hands Down. There is no other game or "test" out there that can stress your rig more than ArmA II.

So knowing this ... once your game crashes to desktop, WAIT a few minutes. DO NOT REBOOT or do anything ... sometimes it takes a few minutes for the system to catch up and create the error. I found that the OpenGL error happened about 3-5 minutes AFTER the game crashed to desktop and AFTER I forced Arma2.exe to stop using the Task manager.

ArmA2.exe also does not report the error in the rpt files and the system Event logs dont capture the error either. That tells me it is a hardware failure of some sort that doesn't seem to have time to report back via the driver or something. It has me stumped, but still points back to Hardware/Driver issues. I think only Nvidia can answer or fix these issues with ArmA II stress.

>?< - Has anyone communicated any of this on the Nvidia forums or their support about the 295 issues with ArmA II? I am quite sure if it is with all 295 cards Nvidia will be VERY interested in recreating the problem as ArmA II is definately high stress on the hardware. (where future games are heading)

Hey I know the frustration and the negativity bleeds through on this one, but I am quite sure that the issues will be resolved only by BIS and NVIDIA making the hardware/software/drivers all play nice together. For now though I think leaning on Nvidia a bit would be the right direction since it IS there hardware that is not compatible with ArmA II ... right?

Edited by pchaxor