Sign in to follow this  
Chebychev

White screen while running

Bug #653: the game seems to have taken up the habit of rendering the entire game world white (see screenshot) when I'm running. It's fine when moving slower (haven't tested with vehicles yet, but my guess is that it'll do the white thing as well). This started out of nowhere, with no apparent cause, and now seems to persist, even when I restart the game. It stops when I stop running.

Searched on these forums, but didn't immediately find this anywhere, unless I'm using the wrong search terms. Any help is appreciated, as this is a game-breaking issue for me (next to the 652 other issues which I can live with).

Mission: Manhattan

Specs: E8400, 8800GT (186.x)

th_12854_arma2white_122_578lo.jpg

Mandatory rant in similar fashion to everybody else: great game and an awesome experience when it works, too bad the QA team was too busy sorting matchsticks instead of testing the actual game (if BI even has a QA team).

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Someone has suggested it may be the infamous "fade" thing at work here. If it is that and/or Securom it would yet another reason to just download your games rather than buy them, as it seems to have become common practice to torture real customers with copy protection schemes that would make the SS proud, despite the fact that - let's be honest - they don't even work.

To be clear: I have a purchased copy of the game.

It seems to be occurring just in this mission, I don't get it in any of the other scenario's or MP games. That's good news, I guess. I'll have to cheat my way out of it.

I now have exactly the same issue. The screen goes white when running for a couple of seconds, game still functions normaly and the hud is still visible. My first thought was that it's a broken stamina effect or something.

Arma 2 V1.02 german

Q6600, 8800GT with 186.18 drivers on Win7 32-bit

in mission Harvest Red in SP campaign

I wonder if it's something to do with the blur effect and/or HDR when you start breathing hard from running (I guess supposed to simulate your eyes getting watery, like in Far Cry 2). As for it just happening in that one mission is weird. take a pic of your settings in the nVidia control panel so we can see if it might be something with the settings (kind of like the "Christmas Tree" bug when you force AA/AF on)

It seems to have disappeared again here, what I did was switch Vsync back to application controlled in my nV driver profile for arma2.exe and loaded the game back up. I loaded the mission, and the problem was still there.

However, when I then alt+tab'ed out of the game to check the forums, and then switched back, it was gone. It hasn't returned after that. Weird, I know, and I'm not sure what exactly caused it to disappear and act normal again, but it's worth a shot.

What bothers me still is the fact that it persisted in the mission, and judging from mic1184's report it's not mission-specific. Very strange indeed.

Edited by Chebychev

I have got Sapphire Radeon HD3650 and I have same problem in same mission.

Edited by Adámek

I wonder if it's something to do with the blur effect and/or HDR when you start breathing hard from running (I guess supposed to simulate your eyes getting watery, like in Far Cry 2). As for it just happening in that one mission is weird. take a pic of your settings in the nVidia control panel so we can see if it might be something with the settings (kind of like the "Christmas Tree" bug when you force AA/AF on)

It didn't have to do with HDR or blur directly because it didn't help for me to switch it off. Only thing that worked for me was changing the general graphics quality. After changing it, the screen goes black for a second, and when picture's back, the white-out effect is gone. i reverted everything back to my preferred settings afterwards, didnt have the problem again in that mission. didn't have that problem at all now, in the middle of manhattan and ~ 5 hrs of playing.

Really weird, but the workaround seems easy.

I have this too, screen turns white (i dont need to be running) + the whole screen turns into a psychedlic goo sometimes, this doesnt look much like a bug at all, more like something to piss off the user (FADE).

Get your f*cking act together BI, i've payed for this game!! This just shouldnt happen to a paying customer, your copy protection just proves one thing, that it's _not_ worth paying for games because you'll get screwed anyways. Fix it.

Edited by mkultra

Yes I have the same problem- screen goes white(with only hud visible). I notice if I aim straight up or down the screen returns to normal (sometimes). This has happened in two missions over the last week or so and after installing patch 1.04. Has anyone found a fix for this? And Yes, I'm running a legit paid for ARMA 2.

winXP(32)

nvidia GeForce 8800gtx

Yup, same problem here. Just started today. Only happens after running for several seconds. It's seems to be related to fatigue level from running, because if I haven't run in a long time, it takes a while to go white; then if I start running again, it goes white pretty quickly (because I'm still fatigued from 1st run).

With patch 1.05 is white screen back. I changed my GPU Sapphire Radeon HD3650 for GTS250 few months ago and problem was gone. But now, with patch 1.05, is again back...

winXP(32)

nvidia GeForce GTS250

Has this issue been solved? I am having the same problem...on a 3870X2 as well...all drivers are current, no mods being used.

I was getting this in early versions of Razor 2 mission. It usually happened if I "alt-tab"ed out of game and in again. Then after few this white screen happened on certain spots and looking in certain directions.

Vista x64

9800GTX back then

I do a a lot of alt tabbing as well, and I get the exact same problem with the screen going pretty much completely extremely high contrast white. Although I can't seem to get rid of it now, and it feels like I'm being forced to redo the mission only to keep experiencing the bug and the several other ones I'm getting as well. I'd suggest this company pay for actual programmers so they can put out real games, not this trashy bargain bin shit.