Sign in to follow this  
Llauma

Where to get the original OFP demo?

I'm wondering if anyone here has the original demo for Operation Flashpoint? Maybe BIS could enable it for download again. It would be interesting to try it again after all these years.

And why not the full game at version 1.96?

There's already a thread about it but to make it short, CM might not agree to that and if you really want it you can still buy it. The original demo on other hand can't be found anywhere. At least I can't find it.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Ah, yeah I've heard about it but I never use it. I guess I'm stuck with older search engines such as altavista. I found it in Australia.

Original OFP demo

With google, look for "OFP Demo 0.36" (the one in which the models were in mlod), you should find few working links like this one.

It always works on XP.

Good times, i remember when people managed to make missions for the demo or unlock some of the weapons and tanks for player use ;)

On that note, you can find a pack of missions that were made for this demo, but converted to use for the retail version of OFP thanks to TheAvonLady

edit : should have posted the link before testing the demo myself, seems several people posted a demo download link during that time :D

Good times, i remember when people managed to make missions for the demo or unlock some of the weapons and tanks for player use ;)

Do you remember the moment when you understood that OFP would certainly be THE game ? I'll never forget the first time it started raining as I was waiting for hostiles, on a watch duty, alone in a small house on Malden, under a cloudy sky, at dusk... I was becoming aware of the "simulation" aspect of OFP and its use of "real time" to create realism and immersion...I could almost *smell* the rain and feel the humidity! Do you recall the first hours of exploration of Malden, in the demo "editor", walking -or driving- on miles and miles... The sense of distance, of time, of danger, of being a simple soldier lost in a large-scale war, which of course, would be confirmed in the complete game. But I'll always remember those countless hours of play on the demo itself...(and its custom missions... you know I used to think that each mission used a different map - in the classic fps doom-like "wad" manner...:o) Well, imo, OFP was and still is the best game ever...:)

For me it was just after we left the truck in the demo, the same as DF 1/2/3 that i played before this demo, i was not forced to go always in the same location and be killed, and so i was totally free to select how to die to attack and where to assault the enemy location.

But this time instead of being all by myself with absolutely useless AI against absolutely clueless AI like in delta force 1/2/3, this time the AI actually knew how to actually fight and how to move in a nearly belieavable way.

And when the tanks began to roll, it became purely awesome to try to avoid being seen while retreating to the beach, an incredible ambiance never seen so far.

That i believe is what changed everything for me, and playing those custom missions made with hex editing at that time definitively achieved to show me that OFP was unlike every other combat game and had an insane potential.

It sold itself to me for the incredible variety of situation and mission.

The retail product with its mission editor captivated me for years and i continue to have plenty of fun with it, even if modding is taking most of my free time.