Sign in to follow this  
BadMamaJama

Hold

I'm completely new to BI games. I love team work first off, strategic minded when it comes to FPS'ers. I've been playing for a few days and notice a lot of people are misrepresenting game types for what they are. In Multiplay list the only ones that show up so far are Unknown, Coop, CTI, Hold. Of those 4 the only one that is actuall PVP is HOLD

So your point is?

The only full PvP is going to be deathmatch (and team DM). Coop is quite obviously the Human team against CPUs. And CTI is an objective-based game mode (similar to BF's Comquest) that is human squad leaders with AI squaddies, versus humans SLs with AI squaddies.

Soon however, you're going to see lots and lots more missions pop up as people start making them.

Oh, and what is hold? I've never seen it on the server list.

Or end of game of CTI, when independant AI is eradicated and you begin to encounter squads led by actual players.

But it's a different "PvP" than the one you're accustomed for, I guess ;) It can be good if you keep with it, it's a different skill-set altogether. Doesn't mean the "pure" PvP ni C&H is bad either, ofc

So your point is?

The only full PvP is going to be deathmatch (and team DM). Coop is quite obviously the Human team against CPUs. And CTI is an objective-based game mode (similar to BF's Comquest) that is human squad leaders with AI squaddies, versus humans SLs with AI squaddies.

Soon however, you're going to see lots and lots more missions pop up as people start making them.

Oh, and what is hold? I've never seen it on the server list.

You are obviously one of the people I was talking about. You're not helping. I don't need a explanation of what each is, as your definitions are inaccurate. I've played TDM. It wasn't that fun. I've been playing HOLD matches and they've been awesome. Taking sometimes 30 minutes to assault a single checkpoint. Everyone who's playing is loving it. Some playing on Vetren level with no enemy icons on maps or no third person view. And, the end game CTI is not PVP.

I'll take a note next time I kill players in the end of a CTI map that in fact, I'm not killing players :)

Can you, please, accept that some form of PvP are not exactly like what you want them to be, and still be a player facing a player? I'm not dissing pure-PvP and C&H, I love them. Show some respect yourself.

That said, your question/concern/demand is what, exactly?

I'll take a note next time I kill players in the end of a CTI map that in fact, I'm not killing players :)

Can you, please, accept that some form of PvP are not exactly like what you want them to be, and still be a player facing a player? I'm not dissing pure-PvP and C&H, I love them. Show some respect yourself.

That said, your question/concern/demand is what, exactly?

PVP with AI is co-op, it has AI in it. At the end of your game where you "PVP" you still have AI in your squad please stop trying to redefine something. Please don't call TDM or Hold Pure PVP and call what your doing "PVP lite."

I go back to my original post since you feel I have demands, questions and concerns. Just call a spade a spade. But, I mostly came here to bring light to a game mode that is awesome for PVP, no AI.

I must agree that there's not enough servers hosting PVP mission (and plz not the crapppy DM map that we findon some server which are the same since OPF and wich really don't fit to arma II gameplay).There's no point having a server that can host 32 to 64 people if when you play in it you meet an human once an hour ....

LOL

Watch the internet experts :D

Open your freaking minds, A2 has eye openers in it, but you refuse to watch them. (btw, RTS players are playing PvP too, guess they have a different definition of yours)

Anyway, to list you the coming Allmighty No-Puny-(Oh The Horror)-AI-In-It PvP maps :

- Zaphod is converting his Berzerk maps from ArmA1 to ArmA2

- Battlefield 1985 is being ported from OFP of old into ArmA2

Soon these 2 will be on many servers

You can check my sig too, but I mentionned AI as an option, I must be completely wrong.... (any help needed btw)

PS : there is still zero question or concern in your initial post. Did you mean there are too few PvP servers? That was said literally nowhere

Edited by whisper

Where are the hold missions? Are they stock Arma2? What folder they in?

I agree on the hold maps. I've been having a blast on the ATOW server. Playing defense in that heavily-wooded map with a heavy MG spraying blindly in the direction of an incoming squad (of real, thinking, plotting players) hoping to tag a few of them.

I also enjoyed the hardcore version that doesn't show if you hit your target. It keeps you honest and raises the bar on the immersion factor a bit.

I loved A1, and although I second-guessed A2 at first, I'm loving it more everyday and I'm even considering joining a squad for the first time to increase the opportunities for teamwork.

I have to agree that hold is by far the best that ive played.Also ive played some really good ctf.These are purely pvp..that ive been on.Hold is the best.The dm for arma 2 is such BS.The only thing i seen in dm is you have an auto weapon and map is tiny...GAY!Now hold you get to customize your loadout and theres teamwork involved who want to play that way and then theres the loners that do well on there own.In my opinion i think hold is the best,and look forward to playing it alot.

I agree on the hold maps. I've been having a blast on the ATOW server. Playing defense in that heavily-wooded map with a heavy MG spraying blindly in the direction of an incoming squad (of real, thinking, plotting players) hoping to tag a few of them.

I also enjoyed the hardcore version that doesn't show if you hit your target. It keeps you honest and raises the bar on the immersion factor a bit.

I loved A1, and although I second-guessed A2 at first, I'm loving it more everyday and I'm even considering joining a squad for the first time to increase the opportunities for teamwork.

I have to agree that hold is by far the best that ive played.Also ive played some really good ctf.These are purely pvp..that ive been on.Hold is the best.The dm for arma 2 is such BS.The only thing i seen in dm is you have an auto weapon and map is tiny...GAY!Now hold you get to customize your loadout and theres teamwork involved who want to play that way and then theres the loners that do well on there own.In my opinion i think hold is the best,and look forward to playing it alot.

Thanks guys, Keep the comments coming. The community deserves to know about this game mode. I've heard that with A2 it is a whole new experience playing AAS/HOLD over A1. I hope it gets some recognition and takes root in the community. I've noticed that some other PVP play modes are beginning to be lumped into HOLD mode now. I join some german servers and they have their own UMPC or some other modified stuff. It is nothing like AAS. Don't discourage, keep looking for the right servers.

Edited by BadMamaJama

I agree. I played AAS/Hold last night on the TCombat server and it was great. The action was fairly constant and I had the satisfaction of knowing that when I killed someone, it was an actual player. My only gribe is that I wish the player limit was higher since the server only allowed for 32 players.

I played a few CTI games and they were fun yes. But then I ran across a HOLD server. that is all I play now.

I usually play on the ATOW server or on the other i forgot the name, but it has map markers off, i love that, its silly to look at a map and know where the enemy is. It also has FFP on (force first person) which I am starting to enjoy alot as well.

Hopefully more simular pure pvp game modes come around, and hopefully more hold maps are made, and servers opened. this is a great game mode for squad vs squad.

oh what fun !

I agree. I played AAS/Hold last night on the TCombat server and it was great. The action was fairly constant and I had the satisfaction of knowing that when I killed someone, it was an actual player. My only gribe is that I wish the player limit was higher since the server only allowed for 32 players.

i played there for like 3 hrs last night also..

I played a few CTI games and they were fun yes. But then I ran across a HOLD server. that is all I play now.

I usually play on the ATOW server or on the other i forgot the name, but it has map markers off, i love that, its silly to look at a map and know where the enemy is. It also has FFP on (force first person) which I am starting to enjoy alot as well.

Hopefully more simular pure pvp game modes come around, and hopefully more hold maps are made, and servers opened. this is a great game mode for squad vs squad.

oh what fun !

Yes, ATOW and 1Para are the only 2 to date running nice maps/veteran settings. Forgive me if I missed one and again I'm talking about purely AAS.

if any of you guys have TS thats playing the hold servers let me know. Hold seems to be filling up on the servers that are running it.Its sweet.Love it!

The purpose of this thread is......?

Whatever, I like coop more than Pvp, i just couldnt really get into Hold,or bersek.

You should give coop a shot, let the new AI challenge you.

I like coop because I can adjust the AI skill to suit ours.

People don't respond too good to "please don't shoot so accurate, we're too old and slow" :p

The purpose of this thread is......?

Whatever, I like coop more than Pvp, i just couldnt really get into Hold,or bersek.

You should give coop a shot, let the new AI challenge you.

The purpose of the thread is to enlighten people about HOLD/AAS. Which you obviously understood, because you gave your 2 cents about it. But, I don't see how you saying I don't like it benefits the thread? AI are not more challeging, I'm sorry to say. Go find a "we are uber we really f'd up those AI" thread and support that. I am posting in this one to help the guys out there who are new to the game and looking for PVP.

In the PvP gametypes, it's often so flawed by design that it goes bad no matter what gametype i is. I want to play PvP rather than coop, but right now every pvp mission I joined had some serious design flaws that really hurt the gameplay.

In the PvP gametypes, it's often so flawed by design that it goes bad no matter what gametype i is. I want to play PvP rather than coop, but right now every pvp mission I joined had some serious design flaws that really hurt the gameplay.

Like?

The purpose of the thread is to enlighten people about HOLD/AAS. Which you obviously understood, because you gave your 2 cents about it. But, I don't see how you saying I don't like it benefits the thread? AI are not more challeging, I'm sorry to say. Go find a "we are uber we really f'd up those AI" thread and support that. I am posting in this one to help the guys out there who are new to the game and looking for PVP.

any you have xfire? mine is 2003rubic0n add me if so we'll get in a server sometime :)

I didn't list the exact mission names, but I tried hold, DM, CTF and CTI/crCTI.

Common issues:

- Bad respawn systems (Ignoring many bugs present with some respawn methods): Mobile spawns are bad. Spawning too far to require a vehicle every time is also bad. Which leads to:

- Zone size not suitable for number of players. Dying 2 seconds after spawning in DM is bad. Having 2 flags in CTF 50m from eachother with the spawn 10m behind the flag is bad too.

- Equipment choices often make it an even weirder experience, like having lightly armored vehicles but no light AT weapons, or having sniper rifles but no ACOGs, or just having weapon supply limited in some odd way.

All of this turns the should-be-awesome PvP experience into something that's edging unplayable.

@galzohar : I suggest making yourself the mission that suits you and this way avoiding these design mistakes