Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Pulp

AA + ATI 4890 = horrible performance

Hi Folx!

I could use some help here. I can run ArmA 2 really good on my rig: everything to high/very high, viewdistance 4000m no problem!

The problem ist the performance with AA enabled....especially in towns, or some woods. Setting AA to low cuts my FPS in half! If i run ArmA2 with 150% Fillrate it is much smoother and more FPS than with Fillrate at 100% and AA at low.

Setting AA to normal is like 200% Fillrate on my maschine. That sounds wrong!

AA is supposed to be much more efficient than Fillrate (and it looks better).

Any other ATI User got that Problem? Any Idea how to solve it? Bug? Am I doing something wrong?

I have no problem, on normal. If you set AA to high, the fps will cute to half. Anyways, AA on normal looks great, you dont need more (I use 100% filrate).

:p

Are you using the same GFX Card? Anything special you configure at the catalyst control center?

Are you using the same GFX Card? Anything special you configure at the catalyst control center?

Nope, just Windows 7 (In Vista SP2 x64 the game performs horrible)

Same problem here mate! soon as i turn on AA the games FPS cripples! its horrible. and im on Q6600 8GB ram 1GB 4890 and Win7 x64 , 9.6 cata drivers.

Though ive did a bit of tweaking and game is running at 60 fps in open areas and around 30/40fps in cities and the woods.

arma2set.jpg

Note i didnt actully see much change in fps when changing terrain detail

also changed in the arma2 config file the vram to 1073741824 in that file as it kept setting it to 2gb.. but only 1gb on that card.

ENABLE Catalyst AI and set it to high in the catalyst control centre.

Change 'soundEnableHW' to '1' in your profile file to enable hardware audio playback for compatible cards like Creative XFi & Asus Xonar.

Change 'soundEnableEAX' to '0' in your profile file to disable EAX effects

Disable ATi HDMI sound devices in device manager.

Same thing with the player profile, where you put "sceneComplexity" except its named "loginname.arma2profile"

Go to the bottom, and if you don't see "sceneComplexity=" then add it. For instance, mine is

Code:

sceneComplexity=160000;

and its made a great difference to me, so might help you there mate.

Edited by madweegie

Maybe i'm wrong. But why did you put in localVRAM "134217728" when a giga=1.073.741.824 byte

Did you get better performance?

In my config autodetect says "localVRAM=1063939968" (i have 1 giga videomemory 4870x2);

Cheers

Maybe i'm wrong. But why did you put in localVRAM "134217728" when a giga=1.073.741.824 byte

Did you get better performance?

In my config autodetect says "localVRAM=1063939968" (i have 1 giga videomemory 4870x2);

Cheers

http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/ measure in bytes not bits.

and ur right my mistake 1073741824

Edited by madweegie

Ummm, game runs pretty well in "some" single mission but, back in campaign mode,...just awful, fps drops bellow 30...and even 20, with my hardware (which is far superior from the recommended settings...) OMG, i really expect this problem to get fix... :(

DriverVer=06/10/2009, 8.630.0.0000

ONLY XP x86/x64 at this time, will update when/if Vista version becomes available.

XP x86/x64

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KYXNVKC8

Also can install in windows 7 x64 mode if u chose f8 at start up and start without driver signatures. u can use 64bit driver on 7 and works.

These are Cat 9.7 rc3 (8.63) drivers.

Just to let everyone know, the 9.7 drivers are WHQL

Driver Version 6.14.10.6973

Driver Details 8.63-090610a-082777E-ATI

Driver Date 6-10-2009

Driver WHQL Certified true

worth the shot.

Edited by madweegie

Same problem here mate! soon as i turn on AA the games FPS cripples! ...

sceneComplexity=160000;

is Object detail, and the longer your viewdistance the more Object detail you need. I do notice IQ dufferences with under 2000m and high to low obj_detail.

Your res is high @ 1900/1200, you can turn PP to low, and AF to disable for awhile. bet you get a nice boost.

I am liking AA at normal or low and Fillrate at 100%, seems to look smooth. i play with my VD now under 2000m, even 500m in the tuff urban spots.

Nope' date=' just Windows 7 (In Vista SP2 x64 the game performs horrible)[/quote']

Is this true VISTA SP2 x 64 performs horrible?? cus thats what I am using, should I upgrade to Windows 7?

Is this true VISTA SP2 x 64 performs horrible?? cus thats what I am using, should I upgrade to Windows 7?

yep , i upgraded from xp 32bit and saw some improvement, you should see a big improvement coming from vista which completely sucks!

Hallo Dr. Make sure you have ATI CCC and turn off AA and adaptive AA in the center, wenn du das nicht schon gemacht hast.

I run it on a 4890 and c2d @3.2GHZ, turning on AA to max, doesn't affect anything, same fps.

It's also the same with everything at minimum, it looks so bad on low settings that you can't tell a tree from a player. And still always ~15-30 fps, mostly around 20.

Yep, upgrade to Windows 7 RC or wait for Windows 7 RTM, which may appear in a week and an half ;)

Hallo Dr. Make sure you have ATI CCC and turn off AA and adaptive AA in the center, wenn du das nicht schon gemacht hast.

Yeah i did that first. disabling adaptive AA gives a slight boost (like 2-3 FPS)...but enabling AA (especially above low) relly kills the performance. especially compared to fillrate. in ArmA1 i played with AA to very high...it doesn't cost that much FPS....but ArmA2 is unplayable with AA above low :(

/edit: same issue here, too

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=77306

This issue seems to affect some cards more than others (especially the 4890). If no one has done so already I will create a report in the bug tracker as this is cleary a significant issue for people with this card.

Tried the new Catalyst 9.7 yesterday...and it actually did help!

I still got a hugh performance drop from AA...but not as fatal as bevor. It seem to be "one category" better. That means: i can now play with AA to normal and get the same FPS i got with Cat 9.6 and AA to low. Cat 9.7 AA high FPS= Cat 9.6 AA normal FPS.

Not perfect...but now i can play with AA to low witout FPS dropping under 28 (normally)...and i can eve play with AA normal...and still get 25 FPS in Cities and Woods with red trees.

Same problem here mate! soon as i turn on AA the games FPS cripples! its horrible. and im on Q6600 8GB ram 1GB 4890 and Win7 x64 , 9.6 cata drivers.

Though ive did a bit of tweaking and game is running at 60 fps in open areas and around 30/40fps in cities and the woods.

Note i didnt actully see much change in fps when changing terrain detail

also changed in the arma2 config file the vram to 1073741824 in that file as it kept setting it to 2gb.. but only 1gb on that card.

ENABLE Catalyst AI and set it to high in the catalyst control centre.

Change 'soundEnableHW' to '1' in your profile file to enable hardware audio playback for compatible cards like Creative XFi & Asus Xonar.

Change 'soundEnableEAX' to '0' in your profile file to disable EAX effects

Disable ATi HDMI sound devices in device manager.

Same thing with the player profile, where you put "sceneComplexity" except its named "loginname.arma2profile"

Go to the bottom, and if you don't see "sceneComplexity=" then add it. For instance, mine is

Code:

sceneComplexity=160000;

and its made a great difference to me, so might help you there mate.

Your settings puzzles me mate. That high resolution and very high AA and then very low object detail? Sounds a bit wrong.

Lower your res a little. Not much but a little. Lower AA to HIGH instead of VHIGH (double amount of AA is tbh not needed and it will eat performance). And then set the object detail to normal or high. This i think seriously will give you a better gaming exprience. Even try to skip lower res but set AA to HIGH and object detail to NORMAL/HIGH.

Scenecomplexity is directly connected to the object detail setting if im not mistaken. So it will change that value when you change it in game.

Just a friendly tips anyway. Might be a useless one, but maybe not. :) Please tell me how it worked if you try.

Alex

Damn I get sent to this thread from google as I am after a new card to plat ARMA2 and OA with and this card looks nice.

So whats it run lie then with latest drivers?.

At the moment I am struggling with a 8800GT so I am hoping for a big boost in speed.

BTW yeah that puzzles me to 1950x1080 res and Vhigh AA :O why hahahahhaa