Sign in to follow this  
Inc_Cat

Constant Desktop crashed - Out of idas

Hi all

It happend to be a "nice" happening, that my old rig died prior to the Arma 2 launch... so I got the change to buy a new one and I went uber..

Problem is that the rig runs like a charm, and plays any game outstanding and then some - EXECPT Arma 2, which i just can't get to play at all.

Framerate isn't really an issue for me... I get decent playing regardless, my problem is that the game keeps crashing to desktop all the time... either by just clicking the Multiplayer screen in menu, or when loading the game.. or after playing a few min in game.. It also seems to happend more if I'm close to towns... Some crashes go straight to desktop, some I get a "headsup" with game starting to chop... then get loads of white lines/bars/squares... and bom dead...

I tried just about everything in these forums.. the EVGA patch.. the crysis64.exe... the Nhancer application... different strings on my shortcut.. editing vram in config file.. you name it.

Whatever I do .. no go.. all that differs is framrate which will go from decent to outstanding. And right now I would be more than happy with decent framerate...just as long as I can keep playing.

I dont all these attemtpt both in the X64 Vista installation that came default with the rig, as well as in the Win 7 x64 RC1 Build 7100 installation (run dual boot).

My specs are:

I7 965 @3.2GHz

6GB ram

Dual GTX 295's (tested both in single and quad mode)

128GB SSD discs

Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 and Win 7 Ultimate RC1 Build 7100

(It's a Dell XPS)

Need more info.. let me know.

I also posted a bug report as requested in that other bug forum with the files requested attached.

If ANYONE here has the same system setup... Please let me know how you got the game running at all... don't care about framerate now!

Well got my boxed version... uninstalled the German download version I had and installed the new one.

Then tried the benchmark test straight away... crash.. then ran the latest 1.02 patch.. tried it again.. crash..

Then disabled SLI, and uninstalled the EVGA patch and Nhancer... reboted and tried again... passed the test...

This off course with running just one card. Dont know if its stable though, need to test it. But at least for the very first time I was able to run the test. Didnt mess with any settings, just let it be as arma put it (1920x1200 res) and all on normal.

Benchmark score:

Test 1 32.4667

Test 2 40.12

Test 3 34.7052

Test 4 54.1028

Test 5 34.6898

Score 3921,69

Will test more

(ohh.. and this in Win 7)

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Update...:

It seem the game finally runs decent on my Win7 install..... the only difference is that I'm using the boxed version patched up to the latest 1.02 oposed the downloaded german version with English language files - which is scary if thats true!

Since I have an apparent stable version running on Win7, I will now see if I can get it running stable in Vista with SLI... havent tried the older Nvidia drivers thing yet... so I'll try that one as well. Will keep you updated on my progress

If you were running the english language patch then that's most likely the problem. If the patch replaced the original files then the crash could be caused by anything from different file versions to FADE kicking in.

The only safe way to run an english mod is to actually run it as a mod, and even then there can be problems.

Scratch that... Boxed version still wont run.. same problems again.

Was able to play solo campain for an hour.. then jumped on different multuiplayer servers, and it keep crashing...

Regardless of what i do I get crashed... and I'm about to give up this.

Some official word would really be nice.. as I see there is a lot of problems. My greatest concern is that the majority of posts here is about improving framerate.. but I dont really care about that.. I just want to be able to play the game!

Well I finally solved it... and it took weeks and weeks and then some to solve...

Solution... Installed a fresh Xp x64 with the 182.5 Nvidia drivers. Then renamed to Crysis64.exe.. and runs like a charm. All high settings at 1920 I get around 60+- FPS in multiplayer... and did the benchmark.. got 4515 in result.

Finally Im able to play it!

I ams orry for bumping a 6month old thread, but I am having this same problem. What is the 64bit crysis exe?

Ignore the crysis64 renaming stuff, that was a workaround for SLI before it was added to NVidia drivers.

The addition of a SLI profile for ArmA2 has been incorporated in at least the two lastest versions of NVidia drivers.

I have been having crashes similar to what is described ever since I upgraded to Windows 7, and I only have a single core video card.