Sign in to follow this  
Diaben

Rivers !!

A whole country, without a single river? That's strange, i want to see rivers that i can cross with my amphibious tank or my Hummer :D

I think it would be a good thing to implement that! :)

Diaben: you'll have to wait for the community. Its possible now in A2 to have water on different heights...

or stay in ArmA1 where we already have 'em ;)

f16_river.jpg

p.s. don't worry, map will be converted to A2, too.

Yeah, that's cool ! :D

I've never played a A1, I started with this one. I found it strange that there where no rivers in a country with lakes and access to the sea.

When designing the country I want to say ^^

I found it strange that there was a lake with no source by a dam which then did not have a small river on the other side, which as far as I knew happened as dams are suppose to make rivers smaller, or makes them take another route, but rivers would be nice.

It depends what you want or can accept as a river. If something that just looks like a river then you'll be OK. It will just be a long and narrow lake connected to the sea, all at the same height. However, if you want the appearance of flowing water that desends to the sea then it isn't going to happen, I don't think it's possible to have. I guess BIS thought that if they can't do properly then they won't do it all.

People have asked for rivers for since OFP and so far, no dice.

And there is also another thread about this here.

Edited by Murphe

I'm all for rivers too and regard them as pretty important for a believable (and fun!) environment. But there is no way that mods or addons will give as them in a usefull manner. Sure, I guess you could make something that looks like them. But the real problem is that the AI has no concept of water or whatsoever and no river-addon will change that. This task is up to BIS and I really hope they do something about it.

At the moment, the lakes in the game render the specific areas/locations useless for any mission where you'd like to place some AI. They dont know what water is and what it is good for and for what not. Drivers drive their vehicles happily into any lake and watch their vehicles and themselves blow up. Foot-Soldiers too are always glad to go for a swim. IMHO this is the real problem which should be adressed and that's only for massive water-masses like lakes. But the AI shouldn't treat rivers like lakes.

The AI Starfighter21 helicopter pilot tried to land my team twice at the bottom of a lake. It took me catching him with a new transport location twice, once we were only 2m above the lake surface on Veteran with the last save being many minutes ago! All of the unload orders were not on the lake of course but the AI thought it had a better idea. Maybe the terrain is really flat on the bottom? The AI seem to know about Ocean, just not lake.

I would be very happy with "static rivers" very flat and calm bodies of water so boating becomes more useful in the mission. I understand that rapid streams are a lot more work.