Sign in to follow this  
yarex

Infrared goggles?

Could there be infrared goggles in the game?

Would help a lot to improve overall basttlefield info for soldiers and maybe tanks/helis too.

you have night vision (green) and pseudo-FLIR (black/white) on UAV only for now. It's being worked on for other vehicles by the community. No thermal (colored spectrum) vision though.

What real life IR systems on equivalent ArmA2 equipment use color spectrum IR displays?

I've never seen any military thermal NVD that has a colored display... Always black/white, which is actually more than enough - it just doesn't look as cool. Keep in mind those devices are generally heavy, and at best can be used similar to binoculars, but NOT the way you use the current infantry NV.

What real life IR systems on equivalent ArmA2 equipment use color spectrum IR displays?

Don't know. I'm just saying what's in the game and what's not. So, no "Predator/Splinter Cell" rainbow thermal vision. Just green and B/W. That's it.

you have night vision (green) and pseudo-FLIR (black/white) on UAV only for now. It's being worked on for other vehicles by the community. No thermal (colored spectrum) vision though.

Looks to me like they have implemented the Thermal Imaging features from 'the other game' into A2... But, then again it might not be fully implemented as yet. If it is you can make a set of 'Thermal Images' for your various models which will be highlighted when your current 'avatar' selects the appropriate Thermal feature defined for the given unit.

There should be several hot/cold variations if it's been implemented. The current (standard greenish & black 'n white) ones + some other coloured versions.

As I mentioned though, they may have run outta time to completely setup all the content to take advantage of these features.

doesnt the jav fire unit have infra red also? i heard storys about the lads using the firing system with no tube loaded as the infra red helps them find terry taliban hiding etc

Yes thats true. The CLU makes for a great night vision device. Check out the stories about Operation Anaconda for some great stories about this (and other things).

The CLU has a day sight and an IR sight (mirror flips). It takes minutes for the silly thing to warm up or cool down before you can use the IR side of things. To lock and fire the missile you have have to switch to the IR sensor on the missile (completely unrelated to the CLU, ~10 sec time from trigger squeeze to missile video).

Here is the best video that exists about how it works that I have ever found:

Synide, the "IR" in ArmA2 is not VBS2's IR at all. The two are so many miles apart it's not funny. ArmA2's IR is a lot of post process. VBS2 has heat textures apart from color textures, you can see through smoke, etc.

Portable IR imaging for infantry would most look like the laserDesignator module in terms of weight and bulk. OK the SOFLAM is heavier than most infantry IR viewing devices but not by much. It would definately be a "binocular type with battery" and not like our helmet mounted NVGs.

Synide, the "IR" in ArmA2 is not VBS2's IR at all. The two are so many miles apart it's not funny. ArmA2's IR is a lot of post process. VBS2 has heat textures apart from color textures, you can see through smoke, etc.

That's cool... as I don't have A2 I don't really know if this is the case or not... But, someone who does have it mentioned to me they have StageTI in the .rvmats now for A2 (which is exactly the same as VBS2) so I assumed they'd implemented some of or a version of the other game's 'thermal imaging' features, but as I can't confirm this I'll have to conceed that your probably right and the 2 are nothing alike.

It would be great if every skin in the game had an "IR texture." There's probably a few in there but not activated or completed just like the 3D realtime editor.

Frederf, I had a few people have a squizzy at there config's, model's, texture's and material's of some of the A2 content.

From their responses I'd surmise that the facility is in A2 to enable IR/FLIR stuff as per the other game/sim. So, the content at least supports the features, whether the current engine/shader pipline does is just conjecture though.

It's just the content hasn't been fully implemented. BIS may or may not choose to enable these features in upcomming patches.

In saying that it might all be available to the modder right now, however there is at least 1 crucial piece of the equation missing and that is to facilitate the IR/FLIR stuff you'd need to be able to create new models, and since the A2 tools have not yet been released you cannot create these.

So, they may implement this stuff, they may not... you'll just have to wait and see.

Personally, I think this area would be happily recieved by the A2 modding community.