Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Arma 2 the last game to use this engine?

You know guys they could always make a VBS 3 engine with physics that apply to newton and better animation. Just abandoning an engine is a big waste of time so why not expand on it?

BIS needs to fix the typos in there Engine and maybe enhance somethings like FSAA, animations, and physics.

They are not typos...:rolleyes:

I think there is some fundamental issues with this current engine. I've been playing the series since 2001 and only thing that has noticably changed from ofp are the graphics. Otherwise it feels like the old clunky flashpoint. That naturally makes me doubt that this engine can't do much better.

I think one of the most important issues is performance. I don't think Arma 2 will ever perform very well, even in a few years when the hardware can handle much more, I think the engine still can't. I don't know if it falls in the performance cathegory or somewhere else, but for example a fast flying aircraft is, and has always been stuttering like hell and not going smoothly. The flying stuff seems to be the most difficult thing for the engine to handle anyway and it hasn't become any better in all these years.

The destruction of vehicles is another thing that hasn't changed at all, still the clunky modelswap is present and I can't see how this engine could handle dynamic destruction of vehicles since it's having hard as hell time with this primitive method already.

Add to this the requirements for a physics and animations system, better, more complex AI and larger environments (think 4x the size of chernarus), all the while having the detail, or more than the game has now and better streaming (grass and other vegetation as far as you can see, buildings and objects streaming in detail very far away), and you've got one hell of a mess for this engine to handle. I just can't imagine this engine handling all that, given how it handles right now, or has handled before.

So even if they can add all these fancy physics and animations systems for the engine, I don't think it could ever be possible to optimize it to run smoothly. I see a kind of an "delta force 2 syndrome" with these games, I don't think that game still runs well on any computer in the world after what, 10, 11 years?

After 10 or 11 years I imagine the original OFP does run very well on your computer but since you neglected to provide any specs that's a fairly worthless yardstick right off.

As for the current iteration, a new PC release should always push the performance envelope in terms of current hardware as a means of future proofing the game. I think this engine looks amazing and, because I appreciate that there will always be limitations to what's technically and financially feasible at any given time, I applaud BIS for the compromises that chose to embrace. There's a saying; you can't have everything, unfortunately nobody here seems to have heard it before.