Sign in to follow this  
Motivator

Deploying Mortar tubes and artillery?

How do you get mortar tubes and the artillery battery into the position you want so you can range the target or at least an area such as a town?? or are they just for the editor? How does this stuff work?

Mortars and M119/D30 artillery are classified as static guns to be editor placed only. Outside of mods, scripts, or possibly a native airlift attachTo thingy, they are immobile.

"Are they just for the editor"

Well where should they be otherwise? All the singleplayer missions and multiplayer missions are made in the editor. You see there is no other "place" than the editor if its not made in a mission by someone. So it all comes down to making whatever you want to be usable in a mission. ARMA2 is very early and you will soon start seeing more and more missions and addons that let you operate things easier. Even templates and such.

But ARMA IS the editor basically. And with it plus scripts you can almost do whatever you can think up. Just have some patience and missions & addons will start raining down letting us do incredible things.

72;1311989']"Are they just for the editor"

Well where should they be otherwise? All the singleplayer missions and multiplayer missions are made in the editor. You see there is no other "place" than the editor if its not made in a mission by someone. So it all comes down to making whatever you want to be usable in a mission. ARMA2 is very early and you will soon start seeing more and more missions and addons that let you operate things easier. Even templates and such.

But ARMA IS the editor basically. And with it plus scripts you can almost do whatever you can think up. Just have some patience and missions & addons will start raining down letting us do incredible things.

"Well where should they be otherwise?" => In missions and in the campaign, done by BIS.

"You see there is no other "place" than the editor if its not made in a mission by someone" => Someone like BIS.

I paid money to BIS to play the game, not to make it for myself.

The whole concept behind Armed Assault 2 (and OFP and ArmA1 before it) was to be a toolkit to make your own game. Sure there was a single player campaign and sample missions to get you started and provide some mission content out of the box. Granted many people will have to rely on the mission work of others (and the quality is extremely mixed). The fact that 99% of the ability of ArmA2 is not realized out of the box is an unavoidable and entirely positive consequence of its design.

However, the fact that you can't plop down a mortar at base and during the mission dismantle it, throw it in a truck, drive across the terrain, reassemble it, load it, and fire it without pretty severe mod and/or scripting work is a rather annoying mar on the game.

"Well where should they be otherwise?" => In missions and in the campaign, done by BIS.

"You see there is no other "place" than the editor if its not made in a mission by someone" => Someone like BIS.

Dear Turin Turambar. Those of use that have been dealing with BIS from 2001staerting with OPF have been scripting, moding etc from day one. Are two for some. BIS can't do everything the community ask for. That's why when you wish to have something in the game/simulation. The community provides what you wish for. And BIS provides what we need. So if you wish for something to be in the platform. You will have to add it. Other than that, maybe this type of genre is not for you.

What if the mission is not about having mortars? You want all weapons and gear to be available to you in every mission? That would make the mission a bit too easy dont you think? Maybe thats how you like it? A nuke in every mission. :j:

Either create the mission the way you want it or ask someone else (suggestion to someone) to do it. Or simply wait until one gets made. OR maybe this game isn't for you. If you think its a bad thing that we ourselves can create what the hell we want then... This is what makes me love this game. That we can make whatever we want. Any gamemode, any mission, hell we can have a misison where you have to nuke a gang of cows.

But yeah, bad of BIS to not have everything in the missions. We should have a nuke menu in the campaign cuz we paid for the game.

/Alex

ScorpionGuard and Alex, please leave this forum user alone. He still has the innocence and positive spirit about ArmA2. He is not like us, long ago surrendered and cynical that many gameplay features and content will have to be clawed together with our own hands.

The "putting words in his mouth" nonsense is also rather childish. He did not want to have every weapon in every mission or a nuke for every village. All he asked is that given a piece of equipment that by all real life measures is portable, can he move it during the mission or is it mystically permanent like bloody Excalibur in a stone. I think that is a reasonable question.

That is kinda dumb, In real life you can carry a 60MM mortar tube and that is exactly what the U.S. Marines do and spread a few rounds across a squad or fireteam.

Also the Javelin is a lot heavier than a 60MM Mortar tube and you can carry one of those in this game.

It would be pretty cool to setup outside of an enemy controlled village and start harassing them with mortar rounds:D

I would enjoy that to Motivator. We may implement that into ACE2.

That is kinda dumb, In real life you can carry a 60MM mortar tube and that is exactly what the U.S. Marines do and spread a few rounds across a squad or fireteam.

Also the Javelin is a lot heavier than a 60MM Mortar tube and you can carry one of those in this game.

It would be pretty cool to setup outside of an enemy controlled village and start harassing them with mortar rounds:D

Yes this is true. But there isn't a 60 mm mortar ingame. Only the 81 mm mortar wicth is heavier that the 60 mm.

Tube and baseplate should be both 'launcher' type so it requires team work to use (unless you use a vehicle, which can make you more exposed anyway). How should the ammo work? 2 regular slots be enough? Or 3 maybe?

For an ACE2 version using rucksack system, I would suggest using 4 slots for SMAW ammo and 3 slots for mortar ammo? The mortar ammo shouldn't take more space than SMAW ammo, even if todays SMAW ammo only takes two slots.

Maybe an upgrade with a deployable mortar system (if outside ACE2) should redefine SMAW/PG-7VR to 3 slots (PG-7VL remains at two), and mortar rounds to 2 slots? Without some kind of carrying/rucksack system, it wouldn't make sense to set it much higher.

ive seen it done in a mission, still can't work out how to get it working properly despite de-PBO'ing it

I've added a deployable mortar to Sparta's Domination map, and it's very fun to use. It only requires one man to carry, which is pretty unrealistic, but hey--sometimes gotta sacrifice for good gameplay. Having it be deployable will require some scripting on your part, but if you just want some in your mission, all you have to do is place them in the editor.

:rolleyes: I love when people say "I paid money for something I don't understand and now I'm angry about and am going to blame others since I'm confused!"

I've added a deployable mortar to Sparta's Domination map, and it's very fun to use. It only requires one man to carry, which is pretty unrealistic, but hey--sometimes gotta sacrifice for good gameplay. Having it be deployable will require some scripting on your part, but if you just want some in your mission, all you have to do is place them in the editor.

could you post how you've done it? or a template perhaps?

could you post how you've done it? or a template perhaps?

I pretty much just used the MG gunner nest code and replaced it with what I needed (since I'm lazy). Basically though, when the mortar unit spawns, you add the needed actions to them ("Deploy Mortar" & "Dismantle Mortar"). The former calls the script which creates a mortar in front of the player and moves the player into the gunner seat, and the later dismantles (deletes) it.

I'm not the best at scripting but my best guess would be;

1. Add a mortar already in the map, give it a unique name e.g. "Mortar1"

2. this addAction ["Deploy Mortar","exec mortar.sqf"]

3. Create a "mortar.sqf" file with "Mortar1 getPos setPos Playername"

which moves the Mortar to the players location

Fire away.

I also realize the code isn't exact, but if you search "AddAction" and "set Position" I'm sure you'll find the correct commands and be able to come up with something. Sorry for not getting all the code myself, but I'm tired :P