Sign in to follow this  
Rimp

Helicopter controls help?

Flying a R/C Helicopter is the same as flying the real thing, they work in the same way, dont get me started on this one! ive been flying R/C for many many years.

The real thing?? Then try first DCS Black Shark, which takes a long time to master and then well talk about real thing.

P.S.: they do work the same way, but there are mamy other factors like weight,controls,perspective....

They have RPM controll, collective and cyclic.

Not sure if you agree with me or disagree with me :) Helicopters also have pedals for yaw control. For me RPM control is the same as a throttle. Check at 12 seconds, the label on the collective even says throttle :)

oYfW7k1iyUE

Check at 12 seconds, the label on the collective even says throttle

Ummmmmmmm, No. That was the throttle the pilot twisted. The throttle is located on the same "stick" as the collective, but they are not the same. That would be the same that steering and the horn are the same, look it says horn on the steering wheel!

Monty, when we are speaking of the lift-thrust control on helicopters, we speak of the collective. Although people sometimes mistakenly call it throttle (PCL), those of us who understand modern helicopters know better.

There is no "opinion" that the flight model with regards with thrust or collective control for aircraft is good or not. It's a solid fact that it is done poorly and with desperate need for improvement. Mindless subjectivity on the topic of absolute vs speed-based thrust control helps no one.

Edited by Frederf

Not sure if you agree with me or disagree with me :) Helicopters also have pedals for yaw control. For me RPM control is the same as a throttle. Check at 12 seconds, the label on the collective even says throttle :)

oYfW7k1iyUE

Yes well, been a long time since I have been near anything more realistic then arma, but the collective controlls up and down, while the 'throttle' controlls RPM.

Edited by Mavericko

I'm aware of that. Maybe I should have called it 'the stick' to avoid confusion :p Point is that in computer games there is usually no need for a separate RPM control, and everything is controlled by the collective (up/down = collective = 'throttle'). Even flight simulator has it modelled this way. Probably not Blackshark but I haven't tried that one.

My apologies for being snippy. I think that "collective = lift" and bully to the throttle (ignore) is a perfectly fine and workable situation for helicopters in ArmA2. Perhaps somewhere far down the line when modeling the actual throttle levers in a helicopter in ArmA5 is our biggest concern it can be addressed.

Only chopper sim I've played is microsoft flight simulator, and they have it correct :P

So does anyone have any pointers on flying in ArmA2. I will have to learn to dumb down my control responses for the fixed wing aircraft after flying sims but I havenever been able to get the knack of rotary wing aircraft.

Don't fly too fast and setup properly for a landing zone. Hardly anyone does this correctly in ArmA. People usually fly way too fast then find themselves on top of the LZ and then they try to bring the nose up to slow down and end up climbing up in altitude and then basically come straight down. It all depends on if you want to fly the right way in a realistic manner or if you want to fly using unrealistic tactics because it's a game and you can get away with it.

I'm actually working on a guide to help people who want to do it the right way. Based on my experiences as a crew chief with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), I'm putting together a document that will teach people about proper communication and procedures.

In a more general sense but in line with Monty's advice. Be slow and gentle. Give yourself plenty of time and distance to do each maneuver (about 2x what you think you need).

Yeah, and stay away from trees and slopes. As pilot, you are in charge. Listen to peoples suggestions about landing places, but use common sense to avoid hot zones. In games like Evolution and Domination, don't get too close, no matter what others says. These zones are extremely hot. For normally hot zones, be prepared to turn quickly so that the cockpit glass doesn't face the enemy. Let the enemy see the underside of the chopper. It takes more damage than your head.

My rule in Evolution type missions is 1000m as you want to get from the town center mostly care free. 700m to 500m if you really know the terrain enough to mask. Coming in too fast is a recipe for ending up too high and getting shot.

If your passengers complain about the walk, tell them that's what infantry does.

The helicopter controls are gonna be the reason why I use the xbox 360 USB controller. But, I may get a joystick.

Don't fly too fast and setup properly for a landing zone. Hardly anyone does this correctly in ArmA. People usually fly way too fast then find themselves on top of the LZ and then they try to bring the nose up to slow down and end up climbing up in altitude and then basically come straight down. It all depends on if you want to fly the right way in a realistic manner or if you want to fly using unrealistic tactics because it's a game and you can get away with it.

I'm actually working on a guide to help people who want to do it the right way. Based on my experiences as a crew chief with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), I'm putting together a document that will teach people about proper communication and procedures.

That's great to hear man, thanks. Oh and thanks for serving, I was there the year before you and I tell ya it was comforting to know there were birds in the area and the guys from 101 were a sight better to deal with than a certain other division :)

I've setup arma 2 heli controls to be like the defaults in BF2 :D It's very fun, the only bad part is there is Alot of resistance when trying to rotate from left to right(bank?) unless you are going under 50

R is for manual weapons toggle and G is for hover mode.

Monty, i like the idea of your document but hardly anyone besides the simulation fans will read it. I've known how to land a chopper safely and quickly since i was 6 years old. (not a real one anyway...)

Edited by Depleted

Should be very easy with a USB lead, they are available on ebay and the likes quite cheaply.

Should be very easy with a USB lead, they are available on ebay and the likes quite cheaply.

But would it work in ARMA 2 ? :confused:

Plugging it in doesnt mean the software would be able to detect it.

You got any RC controllers lying around to test it out in ARMA 2 ? ;)

ArmA2 doesn't have to detect it, Windows does. If Windows recognizes it as a game controller then it'll work.