Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

Variety for explosion sound effects!

There is only one explosion sound effect (which is placeholder quality at max.) for all explosions in ARMA 2. I think this is a huge minus, for example if there's an artillery strike it's the same flat boom homemade effect played for every single round. It kinda kills the atmosphere and gives the game a 90's arcade game feel. Please BIS add more realistic effects in some patch because it doesn't fit for a game like this that there's only one placeholder sound for all explosions. Just effectively kills the immersion.

Best get crackin' Marky, your community awaits you ;)

Looking forward to hearing your work in ArmA II.......soon I hope :)

I just hope someone can collect all these small fixes and put them in one big pack and also make sure the online servers dont kick us for using them.

This IS a BIS game....It will get fixed, by the community :)

and me ;)

But with mods you aren't able to play on all servers

I am waiting for HiFi Novus Aevum for ArmA2. I love that sound mod for ArmA1

We should have votings here for best addons.. and BIS should include those in official patches..??

Good luck with that!

Nah soon we will have some good ones. Patience its very early still.

sound effects are fantastic in armed assault series

imo the best around.

Let's face it, ARMA 2 sound effects are one of the worst around when it comes to explosions or A10 cannon sounds. It's as unrealistic as it gets when you hear the same exact *Bhooom* sound for every single possible bigger explosion than a grenade in the game. A 5 minute artillery strike with the same boring unrealistic old placeholder sound is just something terrible.

When i tested the 1.01beta i also notice something else. Maybe some of you can try reproduce in Final?

Its about how the sound works and not how they sound. But it was serious. Very serious. It might have been my mates soundcard (even though no probs in ArmA1 or other games) or it might have been the beta. But if its not the above it needs to get fixed.

I tested the arty logic and fired at a village. I also had the teleport script in my units init so i could go there looking at the impacts. When i did that and looked away from the impact - and the impact came - i heard the explosion in one ear (duh) since i wasnt facing forward looking at the actual impact. NOW comes the weird thing: When turning my head to see the explosion - the sound followed my ear i heared the impact on. So it was impossible to pinpoint where it hit as no matter how i turned my head the sound was stuck to that ear playing the explosion out. I think this applied also to some gunshots when i tested and this is also why it was hard to pinpoint enemies at times. It wasnt always like that but now and then.

The last thing i noted was that gunshots etc fired behind a building did not sound like in ArmA1 with obscured kinda muffled sound. Instead it was only lowered in volume. Sounding clear even though behind an object wich made me and my mate think the shooter was not behind a building but far away instead. The enemy was in fact close to me and i got killed.

These are, if not limited to my mates pc or beta, extremely serious issues that leaves you clueless on the battlefield, and it will get you killed more than you should. Would be nice if someone could test this.

Regards

Alex