Sign in to follow this  
Porter_

Vista + ATI + Vsync

i searched a ton, have not found a solution for disabling vsync. i can't manage to get over 60 FPS. i've lowered settings to very low, stared down at the ground, zoomed in and stared at a cloud...nothing. always 60. at normal settings during gameplay sometimes it will drop below 60, but it never goes above.

i've disabled Vsync in CCC like so:

Vsync.jpg

^^^doesn't make a difference.

specs:

Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz

4870 512MB @ 790/1000

4GB RAM

Vista 64bit

1680x1050 native res

is there any solution to this? i've read threads on this forum about this, but they seem to turn into "you don't need more than 60 FPS" arguments. i'm not looking for a debate, just for a solution. thanks in advance to anyone that bothers to help.

lol guys, it might be so simple...

you got FPS shown from fraps right? Let me gues, video recording settings in fraps are set to 60 frames per second right? Well there goes your problem... fraps shows max :D

type in custom number like 2000frames and ask same question(after such an easy explanation, you gonna be shot dead after asking same question) :p

lol guys, it might be so simple...

So simple and so wrong. The FPS counter of FRAPS indeed shows 60FPS when recording vids with 60FPS (even considering this is nonsense, vids are usually recorded at 25FPS/PAL or 29.97FPS/NTSC) but if no recording happens FRAPS shows exactly frames rendered by GPU in seconds.

It is a ArmA/ArmA2 bug with ATI Graphic cards. Hopefully they (ATI) will sort it out with one of the next drivers.

i found some stuff today suggesting it's an ATI/Vista thing and not just limited to ARMA. i tested it with COD4 and regardless of what i tried, the only thing that affected vsync was the setting within the game (application controlled). i also tried forcing vsync off with D3DOverrider, which is a standalone program that comes with RivaTuner. i'm not an expert on this, but it seems like the only hope for fixing this is for BIS to add a vsync option in ARMA, and more importantly in ARMA 2.

as of 9.5 cat driver, and since 8.12 (i think) there is a vsync always on with vista... for me.

I use my CRT now at 100fps refresh... Havent real bothered to post a complaint, i just about always use Vsync anyways. Can be a issue if your lowend and have a LCD at 60 refresh, see alot of 30...

Lose CCC and get ATI Tool Trays. Lessy buggy, smaller footprint.

since creating this thread i've discovered that ATI tray tools fixes this issue. well it doesn't fix it, but it's a workaround.