Sign in to follow this  
caz

Any good books ?

anybody reading anything decent (sorta WW3 or anything like that)

just read Tom Clancys 'Red Storm Rising' and fuk me! was it intense biggrin.gif

If you’re the Tom Clancy type you should try The Bear and The Dragon, which has China invading Russia and the US helping Russia.

Try reading ChickenHawk.

True stories are the only ones worth reading if yer interested in war imho.

I 'm reading Total war 2006 atm.

There's a book called Fulcrum by a soviet MiG-29 pilot who defected, It's an account of his defection and the reasons why he did, pretty good reading.

I recommend "Once a pilgrim".

May 1997. Freetown, Sierra Leone

Ensnared by Sierra Leone's military coup of May 1997, ex-SAS soldier Will Scully found himself in the middle of a furious firefight, single-handedly defending over a thousand people against 200 armed rebels.  Without him they would surely have been raped, robbed or worse.

Once a Pilgrim is the true story of one man's extraordinary courage in the face of overwhelming odds.  In recognition of his heroic solo achievement Will Scully was awarded the Queens Gallantry Medal.

Its a good book the only place i've seen it is here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....5062840

Books ive been reading and am reading at the moment and highly recommended

BRAVO 2 0 andy mcnab ( a mission that went shit in gulf )

IMMEDIATE ACTION andy mcnab (factual about how he came into sas and his Northern Ireland stint) Highly recommened

CRISIS FOUR andy mcnabb ( fiction but im not so sure )

REMOTE CONTROL andy mcnabb (fiction supposidly)

WHISPER WHO DARES Terrence strong (think its fact based, about the troubles in Ireland and how the SAS are used)

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY chris ryan (Related to Bravo20 book but from the point of view of another squad member)

ive read them over and over again and still enjoy them each time

I really enjoyed Stephen Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers, if your into World War 2 you will tremendously enjoy this book.. wink.gif

You should all read Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse 5, Sirens of Titan, Cat's Cradle etc.

Hilarious and insightful reading

Personal Favorites of mine (ie books I'll NEVER sell):

Anything by Stephen Ambrose

The Last Ship by Brinkley...great book

Team Yankee...forgot by who

Red Storm Rising/Hunt for Red October by Clancy...read numerous times

Anything having to do with Ploesti

Neuromancer/Mona Lisa Overdrive/Count Zero by Gibson...

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich....forgot by whom

Anything having to do with ocean liners from 1890 to 1960ish.

(Liners To The Sun is a good one)

Any naval history (This Peoples Navy is a good one)

A Clockwork Orange

Anything Hemingway

I agree on Gibson. Neuromancer and Idoru are my favorites.

My nÅŸ1 favorite author: Paul Auster

Porta's Kitchen, great site smile.gif

I now have all Sven's except Wheel's of Terror, read them all repeatedly for the last 16 years but foolishly didn't keep hold of them smile.gif

i read fallen angels, its about vietnam, but i forgot who its by. but its pretty good.

Brennan's War, by Matthew Brennan

It's a true story following the career of a FO in the 9th Cavalry Vietnam 1965-69. Its mostly about the 'Bravo Blues' supposedly they seen more action than any other platoon in the war.

STARSHIP TROOPERS by Robert A. Heilen.

The movie is nothing like the book, the movie is a disgrace. The book brings up interesting political views on the modern 'XXth' century and explores ideas of a futuristic militaristic society. Excellent stuff.

If you are looking for some good action packed Novels...

ANything by Matthew Reilly.

Ice Station, Temple, Area 7, Contest

They are all good books, and the prologues can be read at Http://come.to/station409/

"Catch-22". I forget who it's by at the moment but look it up I'm sure youll find the author and the book. It's all about the absurdities of war.

THe best book I read was called close quater battle (CBQ). There are a few in the series, I cant remeber the athour of my book confused.gif

Anyway its a true story about a welsh Guy that joins the PARAs at 16, fights in the Falklans(very good), them later he does the SAS selection but I think he fails the interogation because he swaers at the interogator, so he does it all again but this time when he goes off to do jungle training he slices his hand open with a machete, so he then has to do his jungle trianing again. He then goes on to the Gulf war and is a squadron of landrovers (nearly gets killed by a A10).

After that he does mainly training other countires special forces and when he goes to columbia he stopped of at a food store. When leaving he sees a young lady being hassled by a gang, so he runs over, grabs the girl and drives. For the next hour the 3 of them are chased and so they decide to stop and fight with the help of a baseball bat. He hits 1 guy so hard on the head that it split the bat and the others ran away.

I reccomend this very much smile.gif

The best book I've ever read ... I was so drawn into it, that I didn't put it down before I had read it all in one go.

It's "Animal Farm" by George Orwell

That story will never let go of me!

The next-best is "1984". Same story - different context.

animal farm, many a good memories, but the movie wasnt very good, and every time i mention it to someone, they say "hey isnt that a kids movie about talking farm animals?"