Sign in to follow this  
ChickenHawk

Dumb questions the navy asks me.

I'm hoping to join the Royal Navy and the officer who interviewed me asked me the following questions.

Bear in mind these questions were asked over a few weeks so the first one is out of date reguarding world news.

1.) What were the last foreign countries visited by Tony Blair before he visited West Africa and Australia?

2.) Why are India and Pakistan nearly at war? What is their history? What are the main religions in India?

3.) What is the history of Yugoslavia? That is to say, what countries were in its place before it was created.

Just wondering if you guys had no idea too tounge.gif

luckily I had been reading the news alot and we were studying India in history so I didnt do too badly smile.gif

My asnwers.

1.) India, Pakistan and Israel.

2.) Pakistani terrorists attacked the Indian parliament causing some fatalities. India was given independance in 1947 but the country had to be split because of religious violence. The main religions are Hindu, Siek (spelling?) and Muslim.

3.) I dont know what exact countries were there before Yugoslavia was formed but the word Yugoslavia means greater slav state. I guess it was just a groups of Baltic states or part of the Austrian Empire.

Couldnt they think of anythin a little easier? These questions seem a little harsh imho. If I wasnt studying these countries in history then I wouldnt have a damned clue.

2nd one is wrong, it goes way back when we ruled over india the governer split up the sihks and muslims and thast where it all started its very complicated.

PS the questions aren't really dumb at all.

India was given independance in 1947 but the country had to be split because of religious violence.

Caused by the governer or whatever hes called he did it because they sacked him but he thought if he did they would ask for him back but i don't think they did.

questions like these are asked to ensure that ur not just a silly nob wanting to join the navy cos " i seen it on de telly and it looked cool " sort of thing , answering the questions shows that u take on board whats happening about you, showing that ur level headed etc and not got an IQ of 3 which shows them that u are right for navy or not

now that's the type of question every military should ask.

i heard that Armada(spanish navy) has lowered minimum IQ requirement to 85 or something like that a few yrs ago. a big difference btw Brit and Spanish navy

Well, Yugoslavia used to be Slovenia, Bosnia, Serbia (sp?), Croatia, Montenegro and Macedonia.

Like others said, the questions aren't ridiculous. When I join the navy they'll probably ask some tough questions too. I don't know whether you're going for the officer's training but hard questions are just part of the deal.

Oh, I think every second journey of Blair goes to the States, doesnt it. First of all because people like to cheer so much over there and secondly because he has to find a reason to escape from internal conflicts (such a the mayor talks with the UK-unions) biggrin.gif

Undoubtedly, these questions were asked for more than just to make sure you ain't some dumbass off the street. They are "hard" questions for those "average" or so as deemed by the military. These questions will probably also help them send you to another set of questions which will lead to more tests etc etc, until they know where to place you.

Least thats what the US Navy does.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Mar. 08 2002,16:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Undoubtedly, these questions were asked for more than just to make sure you ain't some dumbass off the street. They are "hard" questions for those "average" or so as deemed by the military. These questions will probably also help them send you to another set of questions which will lead to more tests etc etc, until they know where to place you.

Least thats what the US Navy does.<span id='postcolor'>

probably ask nothing. tounge.gif

Answering with a statement that you don't know, however, is still a correct answer.

Think about it logically. If you make something up, because you don't know, they aren't going to take you.. because your a bulls**t artist.

By admitting you don't know, they know that you are still going to be reliable, but that you maybe don't watch the news, or study history alot.

Hell, some American and British Pilots still think Australia is part of Canada.