Sign in to follow this  
Sn@keByte

MLRS functionality

Hey there,

Recently I have played a little bit with the MLRS.

1. It seems it can fire while driving. I have been at a German Army's Rocket-Artillery Battallion and a MLRS cannot fire while driving. It has to stop before the weaponsystem can be moved.

2. Rockets seems to explode at the skybox.

(Now comes a suggestion):

Setting targets for fire missions / requests like the M119.

Best

Sn@keByte

Hey there,

Recently I have played a little bit with the MLRS.

1. It seems it can fire while driving. I have been at a German Army's Rocket-Artillery Battallion and a MLRS cannot fire while driving. It has to stop before the weaponsystem can be moved.

2. Rockets seems to explode at the skybox.

(Now comes a suggestion):

Setting targets for fire missions / requests like the M119.

Best

Sn@keByte

You need to load the artillery rockets into the MLRS to do so, check out the BIKI entry

Also if you ever call in a fire mission/try to aim the thing using the artillery GL system, you pretty much need to stop to have a chance in hell of hitting target

Why would you ever move an MLRS? The rockets have a range of about 25km.

Heh, fair enough. I'm still jonesing for an SF-deployed portable mortar radar unit (AN/TPQ-48).

As for the 2 issues raised in Post#1, there is not any engine-level restriction on firing vehicle weapons which shows how deep this problem finds its roots. If there was some sort of "weaponSafety=true/false" variable in the engine then a rather simple script could toggle it on or off based on engine state or similar. I honestly don't know how ArmA2 handles MLRS aiming, is it just ironsights, is it a map-click automatic elev/az script, or can only the AI do it?

As for hitting the skybox, the real MLRS can apparently reach up to 50,000m altitude with select ammunition so even a conservative estimate of 10,000m altitude for more conventional ammunition might reach whatever altitude limitation is imposed on ArmA2's environment space.

You need to load the artillery rockets into the MLRS to do so, check out the BIKI entry

Also if you ever call in a fire mission/try to aim the thing using the artillery GL system, you pretty much need to stop to have a chance in hell of hitting target

Thanks for the hint. I've missed the Artillery GL System. But somehow its not working properly (like for the M119). The view is inflexible to about 1 klick radius around the launcher.

About using the Artillery GL System for the MLRS, the Launcher must be Initialised with Artillery Ammunition, thats correct. But why it is called "XM-31 HE ?" :rolleyes: Also strange, that the launcher blew up, after firing the 12th Rocket.

I also tried using the Artillery Module mention in biki, but ran into trouble setting up fire missions. So i wanted to "learn" from the sample Mission. Where do I have to put it, so I can load it inside the editor ?

Personal note: I was fire mission controller in a MLRS platoon during my army duty. They're so awesome. And things will go really bad, when you are in the target area and these babys disassamble ;)

Theoretically the M277 reach that altitude, but therefor the weapon system must be at 90°. Perhaps you meant "range" instead of altitude. In median, the range is about 34 km. That was the distance we had fired in Zaragossa, spain in 2002 fighting targets effective. Hahhhh. Great memories...

If you're actually aiming the MLRS manually, it's just point-at-enter-of-screen and fire. No practical way of hitting anything accurately, especially not at long distances.

Artillery module is supposed to handle that but it's currently bugged with MLRS.

Is there someone who konws if AIs can fire the artilleries?

I've placed some MLRS under AIs' control, they didnt fire at all, but standing by or getting

destroyed.Can they use the arty?