Sign in to follow this  
-=2RTR=- Somnus

Dynamic???

Had to ask... could find a thread about it...

After watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRhhG_

can we be lead to believe that the campaign might just be dynamic? Like that of flight sims... Enemy Engaged... Il-2... etc??? This I would think is the only way to build a game/sim... But please feel free to through your poops my way as some of you will...

eg. Tonal Redux dynamic missions??? Very well done mod... Only way to play, I think... Stories ok but not realistic... Plus they always play out the same... even if very good you can only play it a couple of times before you wont want to play it for a very long time...

Anyways kisses to you all... ta...

Can you fix that YouTube link? It doesn't work because the video ID is too short.

No its not fully dynamic like Falcon 4.0 AF etc. As i understand it it is branching missions where depending on what orders/side missions you decide to do/not do the missions takes other directions. Thats how we get "multiple endings". Wich should mean 2 or more endings depending on how you play. I think it works kind of similar to DCS:Black Shark (helicopter simulator). And its definatelly not a bad thing for a campaign that NEEDS to guide you a bit, its actually better. You cant just flip flop around as you want when there is a deeper story behind it. Its not just a war where we need to push back or kill everything. It has more intrigues and deeper stories behind and to keep us inside that main story we are allowed to move outside its borders a bit. And our decisions on venture outside will change the path to the end(ings). Its your decision to report or not when you do some findings. Its your decision to help someone that asks for your help. Skipping helping may result in less support from those people for example. I think it's something like that and i love it.

Please correct me any BIS official if i got this all wrong.

Can you fix that YouTube link? It doesn't work because the video ID is too short.

Hi sabelzahntiger

Yes it has been stated ArmA II has a dynamic campaign, that alters in reaction to what the Player (or Players in the MP campaign) does.

To MadDogX

I think this is the video he means:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRhhG_IS5k0

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Wow, that was an amazing review. He said that the controls weren't very satisfying towards the end of the video, I'm not sure if he meant vehicle controls or... He said it was the weakest part of the game.

Although it's a positive preview, best one I've seen so far.

Well I hope it supports controllers or at least the x360 controller I get more precision out of them when I'm flying in a Jet or Helicopter, with a KB/M I would flop :(

Dynamic sounds good

roger...

Yeah good vid... But it sounds good... someone will more then likely do the Dynamic thing in a mod anyways... Hopefully we'll get Tonal Redux kinda thing from bushwars mod... That would be capitol!

Dynamic campaign: "Unlike its static counterpart, a dynamic campaign has no set game path. Missions and the rest of the game world develop as the game progresses, affected in part by the player's behavior."

Dynamic mean it's creating missions as you play like Falcon 4.0 and i think that was what the OP was asking about? If the campaign has a story with voice acting and videos linked to stories etc then i fail to see how it can be a true dynamic campaign. I think the word dynamic used for the ArmA2 campaign is meant in a different way than the real term. BIS means it's dynamic because you can choose different paths. You can turn orders down (side missions - branching) and therefore they call it dynamic. But it is not the true dynamic (if we are being correct) where missions are generated on the fly as you play. Generated voice acting and meaningful sidemissions where you stumble upon deep content such as a massgrave etc. Ofcourse the campaign didnt randomly create such a thing, but BIS tailored a story in wich we go down ...or not! To get closer to one of the endings. :) Maybe there are some true dynamic sidemissions created on the fly? I dont know but this could be explained by BIS closer. In the DCS forum people wanted to know how the campaign worked as many had played Falcon and its true dynamic campaign.

ArmA2's campaign will be amazing though - i just know it. DCS:Black Shark's campaign should be made about the same way, and damn its intriguing! Especially with voice acting and special tailored things the player face. Falcon's true dynamic campaign is perfect for it's type, but not for a deep story like ArmA2's where you meet people and stumple up on things and revealing dirty truth's etc. :)

A last word: You have to know though that with ArmA's (1&2) Mission Editor you can create whatever you want! Nothing is impossible. You can even make dynamic missions where new ones are generated as you play. Yes its possible. But they will not be as engaging/intriguing as tailored ones. Just remember though that you can create whatever you want with the mission editor. It is amazingly easy and extremelly complex at the same time. it's by far the best editor in the gaming world (according to me). ;)

Regards

Alex

I agree, although how can one create a game so dynamic where missions make themselves. Perhaps a game like fallout 3 or oblivion is more or less dynamic, since there are a lot of missions but you dont do most of them, you really choose your path around them, and even yourself, although there's a main campaign to follow.

I don't know, but I can't recall playing any games that are totally unpredictable and completely different everytime, if that's what you mean.

Hi all

I am sure ArmA II as with ArmA and OFP is fully dynamic mission compatible.

And Dynamic missions work in both SP and MP, and now it appears in campaign mode.

CEX missions I have made are 100% Dynamic just the same as many other mission makers missions are. You have an overall mission you have to achieve, but how you get there 10 hours latter, and the objectives you set to achieve the final mission goal is up to you. Is it a good game form? Well I like it.

If you play Jinef's Breakthrough MP mission. You have a five hour (Coop/PvP coop depending on version) multi-player mission where the BLUEFOR have one overall objective, get the relief convoy across Nogova to Velka Ves and the refugees on the Varta Heights, the REDFOR mission is simply to stop them; but what sub objectives you set is down to the overall mission commander and their subordinates.

Other Dynamic content in ArmA is created with differing granularity. CTI style missions like Domination where you have a number of towns to take, that are generated sequentially, with side missions as an addition. Warfare a CTI style where all objectives are open and decide what order to do them in.

In fact unlike script based FPS COD/CS/CRY engine etc. The Real Virtuality engine is built with Dynamic missions in mind. Whether it be the AI or the environment.

In ArmA II it appears that the campaign stitches missions together in a branching narrative but how long and dynamic the missions are and how they generate other content is down to the mission and campaign designers.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

or at least the x360 controller

Already possible in Arma so it should be! :)

I don't know, but I can't recall playing any games that are totally unpredictable and completely different everytime, if that's what you mean.

Sure. Look at for example Falcon 4.0 AF's "DCE".

Ah! I see what you mean now. I took a look.

I've played a game like this, Mount&Blade if any of you heard. It's very much dynamic, the whole world does whatever while you play around. In fact, especially in the beginning, you barely affect anything in the game besides your own self. Armies may capture/siege/attack other armies, and so on. Later on when you become a major character in this dynamic world, you begin to do the sieging yourself and in the end you conquer the whole area.

I actually think Arma 2 could very well work this way. You start as a small squad, and process eventually to control a mass force - if that's how it is - and perhaps each faction will have it's own area that they're trying to claim of chernorussia, and then you're able to claim all of it. Although that seems a bit strange - why would the US want to claim the poor country for itself. Perhaps you have to join one of the faction and then help them conquer the country? Or you're already assigned an allied faction? In M&B you have to join one, so both options are possible.

I agree, although how can one create a game so dynamic where missions make themselves. Perhaps a game like fallout 3 or oblivion is more or less dynamic, since there are a lot of missions but you dont do most of them, you really choose your path around them, and even yourself, although there's a main campaign to follow.

Did you ever play Total Air War by DID?

The campaign was totally dynamic in that there was a war going on all the time, and the computer would generate sorties based upon current events. For example, if the enemy progressed within range of an Air Field, then the computer would generate a Combat Air Patrol over that area that needed protection, or a strike mission to stop incoming ground forces. None of it was scripted.