Sign in to follow this  
TCEd

Idea for a Demo!

Woah woah woah, hold on there!

Why do you people all suddenly assume that if BIS releases a demo it would be buggy and unfinished? Maybe it'll be the most finished demo ever, how do you know?

Stop assuming something that you have absolutely no official information on. Yes, the Arma1 demo was buggy but that doesn't exactly mean Arma 2 demo will be, and just because the same company makes it doesn't mean it will be bad either.

I think a demo would be nice to see how it runs on our systems, and a few general features of arma 2. Theres no reason to automatically assume that the demo will be bad and cause a lot of negative feedback. No matter what there will always be negative people.

The idea of a small island is very good. It could later be transfered to the main game as a training island.

A semi-dinamic mission (the island would have to be at least 1/4 of Everon, for example), some scenarios, a mini-warfare or evolution or whatever mp component.

Yeah, yeah, I know, :yay: I'm just dreaming here. :D

Well, hold on there, stakex stated that "Its one thing to give a buggy/unfinished version to game sites to write early previews..." you mean, it's not buggy? Well in that case, lets use it for the demo to release to fans!:yay:

I wise you guys would make up your minds, ether the media version was buggy & not worth downloading or it was good enough for all those gaming sites to give awesome reviews, thus, good enough for fans.

This tossing back & forth is making me sea sick, lets just go back to my lead post,

Idea - use media version as official demo, doesn't need any work done to it, won't take any time from BI Devs, has got plenty of content already.... sounds pretty good to me. :D

Yes but that'll make the negative people cry.

Idea - use media version as official demo, doesn't need any work done to it, won't take any time from BI Devs, has got plenty of content already.... sounds pretty good to me. :D

I don't understand why people would prefer having an old and obviously unfinished media preview version over a proper demo that actually showcases the final product. That's what a demo is for, after all - to give people a real impression of the game as an incentive for purchase.

To put it simply, a demo is a small snippet of the final game, with working features, fully optimized engine and some missions to show the player what he would be buying. A press preview version may be non-feature-complete, will certainly still contain bugs and the engine may not be fully optimized. It is merely to give the press some impressions to write about and certainly does not represent the final game.

I get the feeling you're just calling for the preview version to be released because you don't have the patience to wait for a full demo. As I've tried to explain above, it's probably not gonna happen. So just sit back, relax, look at some screenshots and videos and wait like the rest of us.

lol, rgr that MadDogX, I agree it's probably not going to happen, that's why this is only an idea.

The reason I wouldn't mind having a copy of the media version to serve as a demo is because, & most of the ppl posting would agree, that a polished demo would take away time & focus from the work being done on the game itself, which we don't want to cause at this point. We all want the full game a.s.a.p.

Plus I'm impatient, as you pointed out, which is true of most, if not all online gamers, we want it now, now, now! :D

The funny part is all those who shoot down the idea of using the media version as a fan demo would download it in a second, just to get to play it. Then the nay say'ers would start the bug threads with complaints, which they would do with a polished demo of course, all the while the rest of us would be having a blast playing.:bounce3:

In all honesty guys, I don't believe they will give us the media version as a demo, in fact, I don't believe they will give us a demo at all until very close to the release date or after, they've got way to much to do right now & that's fine with me, I also want the game to be ready on time & as many bugs worked out as possible.

This was only an idea for discussion, one that I do believe would be kool if they choose to do it, I know I would download it and play - bugs included.

Anyway, thanks for playing, see ya! :yay:

I totally get where you're coming from and, yes, I would play the preview version too if they released it. Who wouldn't? :)

I dont know, I can't wait and I'd love to play any version of it but I myself am practicing for arma 2 in arma 1 single player, to get used to what the game is fine. So I think I still didn't run out of patience. :P

Demo confirmed, but no details given!

At the 505 London press event, they were using Twitter, you can view it HERE and read the questions and answers (you see the answer first, then click the persons name to view the question)

About half way down;

Q. - http://twitter.com/JorgePT/status/1858570063

Regarding the demo, will it be before 505 games release, or the one for German and Czech Republic?

A. - http://twitter.com/ArmA2PC

# @JorgePT Demo will be released day and date for all markets, watch this space5:37 AM May 20th from web in reply to JorgePT

He couldn't be more none specific in his answer, but he confirms a demo is on the way.

Update, found this one a little way down;

Q. - http://twitter.com/ChrisLamb33/status/1858509583

will there be a demo before release?

A. - # @ChrisLamb33 We will hit GM (Gold Master) next week, plan is to release demo before launch5:19 AM May 20th from web in reply to ChrisLamb33

Edited by TCEd

(...)

Yup, that's been covered already in the Twitter thread. Good to hear there will be a demo before the intl. release. But that's still weeks away. I'm sure they'll release more details in good time.

Demo or not ? that is the question !!!

According to the Twitter, yes there will be a demo before the 505 release.