Sign in to follow this  
BongoBoy

Newbie: setting up my own 2 player game ?

You won't believe that I have NEVER done this.

Play on-line 2 player co-op.

I have a wireless hub at my place, I have 2 laptops with ArmA Gold patched to 1.14 on both.

I want to set up a game for only me and my girlfriend to play co-op missions on our own laptops in the same location.

Any tips would be very welcome.

I apologize for my stupidity but ArmA is the first game I have wanted to play online co-op.

Cheers.

For a local host game its really easy. Pick your fastest/beefiest laptop. Make sure your machines have IP addresses, start up ArmA on the laptop you have decided will be the host machine. Go into multiplayer, select create on the lower right hand side. Setup your game, name, type is LAN and so on and hit start. The screen will go blank show in the corner Setting up game, then receiving and then you will have a Island/mission selection window. Since this is the host of the game, you will have admin rights. Pick your island/mission and bam you have a local host game that others can join on your LAN. Make sure, if you are using mods to use them on both machines. You may want to take a look at a dedicated machine for a ArmA server if your going to play missions that require a lot of processing/scripting. ie Evolution, Quarantine 2.5, SL:R. (Forgot to note. Some missions do not like being run in local host mode. Check the mission readme)

That should be it. Once you have the local host game going, the other machine when you get to the multiplayer screen should show the games available on the LAN selection. If you do not see it right a way wait a bit, as it will show up. If it still does not show up you need to check firewall settings on your local host, and connectivity. A suggestion from me is to use cat5 for this as wireless *can* be sketchy with heavy usage in regards to game server/client traffic.

And as always the Biki has info http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page

Edited by heklos
Additional info

Total GOLD info !!!!

...ArmA Gold that is.

Cheers and many Thanks.

Can't wait to try this this weekend.

I flippin Love this game.

Thanks again.

BB.

Thanks again Pals !!!

played some fun multiplayer on-line this weekend.

both on laptops at the same table facing each other...yelling and screaming...left !, LEFT ! heh,heh. (Warfare was fun).

So awesome.

Cheers.

Well Bongo, now that you've discovered Arma co-op, you've only got about 999 awesome missions (and mods) to try. It's the only bad thing about Arma - I keep thinking of things to try and I just don't have enough time.

Seriously, there are lot of different things to try from mods that affect AI behavior and add ambient sounds to missions with progressive spawn points and ones where the AI can revive you and visa versa.

One of my favorite missions for two people is Dynamic Sahrani Sabotage - though I have modded it a bit. It generates a random mission for you where you fly a chopper (Lil Bird) with your AI mates to the AO, complete the mission, request another, and on and on. A couple of other really enjoyable co-op missions (with "extra functionality") include JointCoops (or JointCooperations) and The Road to Everon v1.4.

Man that is a great sounding mission...a long one, like the Crusades ! heh,heh.

I have only played on line against a friend, I hoping to get good enough to "brave" getting into a game with the community. I don't want to ruin anyones game by dying too much (I do that).

The game is total awesomenessness ! heh.

Thanks Man.

I want to set up a game for only me and my girlfriend

Your girlsfriend is playing ArmA? ehh

Man that is a great sounding mission...a long one, like the Crusades !
Well you don't have to finish all 6 or however many are "required" to get the feeling of a job well done.

Some are hilariously short like these situations...

- there are the fuel trucks!...BOOM!...BOOM! Okay let's head out.

- meet the contact for intel...there he is..."hey, wuzzup?" Okay, mission over.

A lot depends on whether the patrolling enemy squads are near your objective or not. The mission uses Kronsky's Urban Patrol Script which is great for mission variability.

Some can be insane...oh no, there's another Mi-17 dropping enemy reinforcements! :eek:

Awesome !

and Yea, my Girlfriend plays ArmA. She likes the shooters, heh,heh, it's so cool to NOT have to sneak away for a little tactical shooting.

I did forwarn her though...I will probably start yelling at you, so call out those Tango's Baby !!!

It's so fun...you can play it serious or fun, whateva !

(I am a lucky guy.)

Female gamers love ArmA once you get them into a bit. Have not met one yet that did not get into tank gunnery, especially the ACE versions of armor. .

All my clan's snipers are women. Patient and deadly.

now THAT is cool.

That funny because even though we don't get to play ArmA enough, I was saying to her that a bunch of girls should have a clan/squad and go out there kickin but.

That is awesome, the girl sniper team.

Somehow it would make dying less lonely, heh,heh.

PS.I can't stop messing with the editor, I should stick to missions, Man this thing is addictive.

Cheers.

I like it too. :)

Did not ask the women to take sniper, they all chose it themselves. I'm just not uppity about females in combat roles like some gaming groups are. For our group, all that matters is you have some skill, are willing to learn/practice, and most importanly are a fervent believer in teamwork.

Having a fairly realistic combat game where you can have a face and maybe body that matches your chromosomes is a nice for clan morale too. The Project Reality developers for Battlefield 2 had a major cow when I mentioned adding women soldiers. And that killed off any interest by my clan for that mod permanently. So we switched to ArmA and ACE, never looked back.

I tutored each of them in markmanship, tactics, and battle skills. Then we start doing practice sessions with cranked-skills AI or other team mates as OPFOR to hone those skills. End result was pretty darn good IMO.

That's really cool.

It really is a community game.

It just has this "feel" to it.

I just found out that I can type in cheats to unlock the missions and stuff. I can't wait to try it. The sniper mod (CAS is it ?) looks cool.

When I get confident with my poor skills maybe one day I'll see ya on-line.

I still have to download Xfire or something to talk.

Cheers.